EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 08-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #21
ItsTheSource
Mad Warranty Voider

you should mention that quake3 doesn't have a 64 bit installer
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #22
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
It doesn't, but it installed perfectly in 64 bit gentoo. If you use portage to install it I never got any errors... Anything with the loki installer was tricky, though I might move back to 64 bit gentoo in the interest of attempting to help develop. I am still weighing my options...
United States  Offline
Old 08-10-2005, 07:17 PM   #23
Grandtete
Overclocker

Please note that DirectWine and Wine are not emualtors. Wine Is Not (CPU) Emulator. Wine just provides the Windows API. This means that you will need an x86-compatible processor to run an x86 Windows application, for instance from Intel or AMD. The advantage is that, unlike solutions that rely on CPU emulation, Wine runs applications at full speed. Sometimes a program run under Wine will be slower than when run on a copy of Microsoft Windows, but this is more due to the fact that Microsoft has heavily optimized parts of their code, whereas mostly Wine is not well optimized (yet). Occasionally, an app may run faster under Wine than on Windows. Most apps run at roughly the same speed.

Last edited by Grandtete; 08-13-2005 at 05:55 PM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #24
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
It's an emulator. I can say a program isn't, but until those programs are designed for linux, we will be emulating the things in windows that windows programs are made to work with. It's an emulator, I'm not going to argue this any further (if you think it's not an emulator, that's your opinion, but with all due respect, I'm going to stick with mine).

Also worth noting, no application I have ever used in a windows emulator has run faster than in windows. Now, with an emulator worth using, like ePSXe, you can find massive speed increases and greater detail.

Last edited by Aynjell; 11-23-2005 at 06:50 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 08-13-2005, 05:53 PM   #25
Grandtete
Overclocker

I got that from that passage from the wine developer site. It is not emulating as the processor and architecture are the same.

http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-faq/index

This page also explains it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29

Quote:
Rather than acting as a full emulator, Wine implements a compatibility layer, providing alternative implementations of the DLLs that Windows programs call.

Last edited by Grandtete; 08-13-2005 at 05:59 PM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #26
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandtete
I got that from that passage from the wine developer site. It is not emulating as the processor and architecture are the same.

http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-faq/index

This page also explains it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29
By the definition you quoted alone, it qualifies as an emulator. Xterm, a terminal emulator, emulates no hardware and is an emulator. If Xterm is an emulator, what makes you think Cedega, Wine, WineX, and directXwine wine aren't? Don't fall into that mess, it's an emulator.

Last edited by Aynjell; 08-13-2005 at 07:59 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 08-14-2005, 12:03 PM   #27
Grandtete
Overclocker

I suggest to edit the wiki page to correct the error and contact the developer of wine to change the page.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #28
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
No, I don't care to argue the matter. And I didn't care to argue with you, but you more or less called me on my intelligence in a matter close to me. Stop bein' an *** and leave me alone.
United States  Offline
Old 08-14-2005, 02:16 PM   #29
ItsTheSource
Mad Warranty Voider

@aynjell & grandtete ->

there i've said my peace
United States  Offline
Old 08-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #30
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
I like your sig.

And I did my best to end it, but I had to make sure that my stance was known. He questioned my document's ah-thor-it-tah!
United States  Offline
Old 08-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #31
ItsTheSource
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aynjell
I like your sig.
United States  Offline
Old 08-14-2005, 10:47 PM   #32
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Donkey Punch!
United States  Offline
Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 PM   #33
stealth17
DD-X User

Do you think BF2 would run in linux? Rig in sig, other than Im running a 7800gtx now.

Would it be faster?

Thanks.
United States  Offline
Old 09-29-2005, 11:00 PM   #34
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Is there an official client? If not, I can't answer that. I never had any success with cedega, and anytime there's an update, there's an amazingly high chance it will no longer work. So... I'd say no.
United States  Offline
Old 10-24-2005, 11:55 PM   #35
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
I have purchased a radeon 9250, so I will finally be able to discourse on the open source drivers in full. i mean, a card that is full functional in linux with OSS drivers for 34 bucks? Why the hell not. I figure it'll play all teh games I'd play in linux anyway... as my old IGP 320M did so with zeal.
United States  Offline
Old 11-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #36
Senkyoka
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Question ATi drivers eary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompDude
I have to disagree with the ATI section. It is as simple as three or four commands.

You compile the kernel without the DRM built into the kernel, emerge the drivers, setup fglrxconfig, and finally update the opengl environment. It's not even difficult for a person new to linux, considering everything is presented clearly on the website. Other than that, the guide is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycat
ATI's driver readme is as clear as water, and it's not difficult at all to install and make it run. hell, even the control panel is great and lets you adjust a bunch of stuff (such as fsaa and af)
Sorry guys, but I honestly have to disagree with you two on this one. When I started Linux earlier this year, I tried for 3 months and never got the ATi drivers to work enough for the UT2004-x86_64 demo to work. In fact, all the stuff I COULD find and/or figure out said that the R350 (Radeon 9800 Pro) was one of the worst cards to run GLX on Linux and I found more stuff that said "give-up" than I did "this is what you do."

Due to a small disability, Lynx on 640x480 resolution to read documentation (which for me is hard enough to read/understand even in a reading environment that's friendly) is next to impossible. I lost count how many times Linux made me want to put my foot through my case lol. If either of you can explain to me how to get it working I'd be much obliged. I suppose another thing that really hindered progress was that I use a dvorak keyboard layout, and the fglrx configuration process wasn't keen on letting be able to use that. I can type qwerty (that is what I learned to begin with) but finger-pecking is not what I like to do when I type.

Part of the reason I went to Linux in the first place was that Doom3 for Linux was free... is that still true?
United States  Offline
Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #37
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Doom 3 for linux is not, and to my knowledge, never was free. It doesn't cost anything to use your copy of Doom 3 for windows in linux, but it certainly isn't free. Sorry if you were under that impression. Also, if you can hop on IM perhaps this weekend (I'll be outta town for turkey day), I'd love to help you. Setting up ATi cards are actually easier in gentoo, I'd imagine, than most other distros. It's literally, emerge ati-drivers. After that, you run fglrx-config as root, answer the questions (leaving ones you do not understand as default) and bam, all setup (oh, and running "eselect opengl set ati"). ATi's simply do not perform as well, though. That's the painful part.

If you are interested, PM me. I also updated my configuration as you suggested, to an extent. I will not change my stance on whether or not wine and it's brethren are emulators.

Last edited by Aynjell; 11-23-2005 at 06:54 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 11-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #38
Senkyoka
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Lightbulb

I tried emerging them, but for some reason they kept showing up as masked.

Ahh... the conversion from Doom3 Win to Linux is free... I might have not heard all of what it was. Okay, that's understandable ^_^
United States  Offline
Old 12-18-2005, 11:15 PM   #39
Cynical
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Sen, open up

Code:
/etc/portage/package.mask
in your fav editor and add your package (the full name, ex sys-apps/calc)

Save and close and now you should be able to download the masked package.

(masked packages are those that are considered experimental or meant for an architecture different from yours)

Also you can play bf2 on cedega/wine.

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games...l?game_id=3618
United States  Offline
Old 12-19-2005, 02:58 AM   #40
-=bluebird=-
7|-|3 07|-|3 9

youre not able to install the masked app if you put it in
Code:
/etc/portage/package.mask
if you want to install a masked package you need to add it to
Code:
/etc/portage/package.unmask
check out for ~arch packages, if you are using a normal arch installation. usually these packages contain fixes etc which arent declared as fully tested and thats why they are masked on normal archs. only if you are already using a ~arch system, you should unmask a hardmasked package if the normal version doesnt work. but be careful, these unmasked packages are highly experimental at the end (mostly unsupported as well)!!!
Germany  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply