EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-29-2005, 09:11 PM   #21
switch32763
Enjoys eating mobos

Lengthening the loop would not help temperatures unless the reservoir itself helped dissipate heat.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-29-2005, 09:14 PM   #22
eboy0
"LLL" Club

Hmmm would a fan blowing at the surface of the water help? This is just something i'm wondering.
Ukraine  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 09:29 PM   #23
n00b 0f l337
Restricted Access
Restricted Access

A double heatercore with high speed fans will work. I suggest a bip3 and a bip2 to cover that if you want to run one loop. That and have 2 pumps.
United States  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 09:32 PM   #24
switch32763
Enjoys eating mobos

The water's own surface area isn't that great for cooling. An evap/bong setup would cool it but the water evaporates and it's extremely impractical.
United States  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #25
ForceOfN4ture
YouSunkMyPlanetShip!

Yeah, a double can generally handle SLI and a CPU.

I don't usually recommend anything bigger than a double, unless someone sets something up and gets bad temps first. In most situations, it's WAY overkill. You guys underestimate the double heatercore; those things can move a LOT of heat. They're designed to heat your car, you know!

The D5 has 12.5 feet of head pressure, so it's more than enough for a CPU/SLI loop, even with two heatercores. A BIP III/BIP II combo isn't going to outperform a double heatercore by much, and those two radiators together would take up a TON of room. And besides, heatercores are just so much cheaper! Eighteen dollars a pop at Autozone, and if you want 'pretty', dust it with spraypaint! How can anyone argue with that?

Besides, if you really want to spend a lot on a radiator, screw the Black Ice series completely... Get a Weaponized core!

-BC

EDIT:
If you search the forums, the SLI+CPU people that are complaining about bad temps are the ones running Black Ice. Double Heatercores forever!
:TIDE
United States  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 10:00 PM   #26
n00b 0f l337
Restricted Access
Restricted Access

Yeah if your running double bip2+ your good though. BIPs are great and are not as giant as heatercores.
United States  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #27
eboy0
"LLL" Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfN4ture
heatercores are just so much cheaper! Eighteen dollars a pop at Autozone, and if you want 'pretty', dust it with spraypaint! How can anyone argue with that?
I actually went to autozone on monday this week looking the 77 double hc, and to tell you the truth.. i'd pay the 33+shipping danger den is asking for a hc w/ fittings then cutting my own out and hopings my welds don't leak. I'd recommend buying the 33$ one in proposed to the 18$ one at autozone.
Ukraine  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 10:28 PM   #28
ForceOfN4ture
YouSunkMyPlanetShip!

That's fine, that's just your decision.

Here's a hint, though:
Go to any good hardware store and ask for 'JB Weld'. It's a 'cold weld', meaning it works chemically; you mix the two parts together, apply it to whatever you want to 'weld', and it does the rest.
This stuff is rated for several thousand PSI. It can be used to repair the engine blocks of heavy industrial machinery. It is frickin' indestructible.
Put a little around each fitting after you sweat the barbs onto the heatercore, and that thing ain't coming out any time soon.

Here's another workaround:
Don't sweat barbs on. Just dremel off the heatercore's pipes wherever you see fit, deburr and smooth the edges with the dremel, attach your tubing, clamp it, and THERE YOU HAVE IT! A modded heatercore, with no fittings that can possibly leak.

Oh, wait a minute...
That should be in my guide!
-BC

Last edited by ForceOfN4ture; 06-29-2005 at 10:37 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 10:51 PM   #29
n00b 0f l337
Restricted Access
Restricted Access

Hahaha, we've got here the making of a guide to rule all others... Good job m8!
United States  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 10:51 PM   #30
madmaxx
aVeRaGe FrIdAy

im an automotive service tech and let me tell you jb weld has saved my @ss a few times, excellent product.

within regards to the reservoir - it will not affect temps as the coolant will eventually heat up, the only way this would be beneficial is if you used something similar to the "reserator" <piece of junk> with a fan blowing on it (even then youll never get lower than ambient) in conjunction with your custom setup. read some reviews about that (reserator) and then tell me how beneficial a res is, btw that has a capacity of like 1.5l or something like that. the reviews i have read stated that " initially its cooling is on par with other kits but after overclocking and prolonged use the temps are no longer on par and are generally 5-8c higher under load" granted it only uses convection and no fans but still....

99% of the heat generated in the cooling loop is dissipated by the rad/heatercore and in my opinion yes a "rad" looks better but a heater core of the same size will greatly outperform it, so if you are looking for performance and you want to save a few bucks buy a heater core. i myself was going to use a bix rev2 (black ice extreme revision2) initially but then i found out that an automotive heater core performed better(lucky me!), so i now have a modded chevette heater core residing in my case (1/2" chrome barbs and painted to match my interior) it does not look bad at all.

these are merely my opinions
Canada  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 11:11 PM   #31
n00b 0f l337
Restricted Access
Restricted Access

They are quite large though. Once you got a shroud and 38mm thick fans it can be 6".
United States  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 11:12 PM   #32
eboy0
"LLL" Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx
im an automotive service tech and let me tell you jb weld has saved my @ss a few times, excellent product.

within regards to the reservoir - it will not affect temps as the coolant will eventually heat up, the only way this would be beneficial is if you used something similar to the "reserator" <piece of junk> with a fan blowing on it (even then youll never get lower than ambient) in conjunction with your custom setup. read some reviews about that (reserator) and then tell me how beneficial a res is, btw that has a capacity of like 1.5l or something like that. the reviews i have read stated that " initially its cooling is on par with other kits but after overclocking and prolonged use the temps are no longer on par and are generally 5-8c higher under load" granted it only uses convection and no fans but still....

99% of the heat generated in the cooling loop is dissipated by the rad/heatercore and in my opinion yes a "rad" looks better but a heater core of the same size will greatly outperform it, so if you are looking for performance and you want to save a few bucks buy a heater core. i myself was going to use a bix rev2 (black ice extreme revision2) initially but then i found out that an automotive heater core performed better(lucky me!), so i now have a modded chevette heater core residing in my case (1/2" chrome barbs and painted to match my interior) it does not look bad at all.

these are merely my opinions
Read all the reviews you man man, i've taken temps w/ a probe and they are low 30's where ambient is around 27-28.. lol and my entire water cooling has a little less than 2 gallons in it so don't tell me how much the reservoir can hold
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...chmentid=68298
the bigger the better, maybe i'm just stubborn but with my soon to be 2x double heatercore setup the reservoir will benefit ALOT.
Ukraine  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 11:18 PM   #33
switch32763
Enjoys eating mobos

eboy he's saying the Reserator is a piece of junk, not saying that "active" reservoir's don't work, just that they don't cool extremely well. Sadly temp probes aren't the greatest, they would need to be inside the core to measure accurate temperatures.
United States  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 11:30 PM   #34
madmaxx
aVeRaGe FrIdAy

thnx 4 pointing that out switch. 2 gallons! thats like 6+L thats a lot of water. when are you measuring your temps?

my fan/hc setup is actually 8"!! 2x38mm sunon's, 2x1.5" shroud and the core is 2" thick. meh who cares its only floor space!
Canada  Offline
Old 06-30-2005, 02:08 AM   #35
eboy0
"LLL" Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch32763
eboy he's saying the Reserator is a piece of junk, not saying that "active" reservoir's don't work, just that they don't cool extremely well. Sadly temp probes aren't the greatest, they would need to be inside the core to measure accurate temperatures.
Using compunurse for cpu/gpu and a regular temp probe to test water temps.
Cpu=29ish
GPU=37ish
Water Temps inside the reservoir = 31ish

And compunurse is accurate to the degree and it's between my cpu/gpu and the waterblocks.
Ukraine  Offline
Old 06-30-2005, 02:15 AM   #36
switch32763
Enjoys eating mobos

Yes it's accurate on what it's measuring but to measure your proc's temp you would need to have the temp probe inside the core. In reality there are no ways to measure exact temps, they're just general guidelines at best. That's why good reviews use die simulators, they can then measure C/W and compare things like waterblocks accurately.
United States  Offline
Old 06-30-2005, 05:18 AM   #37
tw33k2514
Floppy Drives-R-Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337
They are quite large though. Once you got a shroud and 38mm thick fans it can be 6".
mines 9* lol ..big shroud and 2x Delta 120x38
United States  Offline
Old 06-30-2005, 06:09 AM   #38
jsimmons
Learning To Overclock

eBoy, reservoirs are pointless. They don't add anything to the cooling efficiency of the loop unless they hold literally gallons of water, and even then, your flow rate will suck.

Reservoirs aren't necessary for an efficient cooling loop, and more times than not, they actually hurt efficiency. Of course, you're free to think however you want, but the foundation on which you built your beliefs is wholly incorrect.
United States  Offline
Old 06-30-2005, 08:51 AM   #39
madmaxx
aVeRaGe FrIdAy

eboy - i just looked at that link you posted in #32 and i have to say that doesnt look good at all. it looks like some hillbilly hack job, imo. i try to make all of my mods look as professional as possible. i bet if he put fans on that rad hed have way better temps than hes getting now with a friggin 5g?? pail. if i was to use a res and external setup it would definately not look like that. i mean not even 5 minutes to clean up the wires a bit, thats just sad. and like ive been saying for who knows how long the water in the reservoir (no matter how big) will eventually heat up negating any (if any) gain. the only benefit to having a large reservoir is that it will take longer for the overall temps to rise but once they do..............
Canada  Offline
Old 06-30-2005, 09:03 AM   #40
eboy0
"LLL" Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons
eBoy, reservoirs are pointless. They don't add anything to the cooling efficiency of the loop unless they hold literally gallons of water, and even then, your flow rate will suck.

Reservoirs aren't necessary for an efficient cooling loop, and more times than not, they actually hurt efficiency. Of course, you're free to think however you want, but the foundation on which you built your beliefs is wholly incorrect.
Well then it must be taking me about 8 weeks to heat my water is that what your saying? Like i've posted above my water at the bottom of the reservoir
is 31c. Heat up to what kinda temps if i might ask?
Ukraine  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply