EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-07-2007, 03:30 AM   #61
f34r1355
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I see so many posts about not being able to overclock low end OEMs, that is not entirely true. "Sure most dells can't overclock, but some XPS do" That has been almost the whole of this thread. I know that a lot of HP and Gateway(including Compaq and eMachines brand) can easily. you can access the bios with F11 in some cases with out any change. In cases that it does not work there may be a jumper on the motherboard that allows this feature. Sure there are some HP and Gateways that don't, but a good quantity do.

Also, in my opinion, Dells suck. They are probably the number one machine I get to fix / tell the person they need a new machine. If the quality of there parts is not bad enough, there tech support sucks. One of the people that brought their dell to me to be fixed, first went to geek squad who told him that his hard drive was shot, then he called dell tech support who told him the same thing, after 2 hours. He bought a HDD from dell after being told that they where proprietary components. He was charged $400 by Geek Squad, and $300 for an HDD from Dell. When he brought it in, the only thing I had to do was eject the floppy. He still had me install the HDD he bought (80GB, retail at the time was $70). I only charged him $10 for putting in the hard drive and cleaning the dust out. But $700 for a problem as simple as eject the floppy, come on. I always tell people to steer clear of Dell.

I do have to say that it is kind of funny that when people come back to me in three to four year and ask me to build their new computers. One of the things they always say is that they made the worst mistake in their life.
Uruguay  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-27-2007, 01:44 AM   #62
archangel21
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias View Post
Basically, you can not overclock a Dell. They were not designed for this, and let me explain why:
Hi, i stumped onto this forum looking for a way to get a custom bios or software to oc my xps m1330

But i had to register just to tell you that little neat threat u so bigly typed is 100% wrong. SINCE DELL SUPPORTS OVERCLOCKING IN THEIR SYSTEM

Now u might be like . wtf?

Well i can go to www.dell.com and buy a xps desktop h720c with watter cooling and over clock the fock out of the cpu. GUESS W00T THE BIOS LETS ME. oh and gets what it has a standard mobo...

so all ur blasphemy is wrong. So if u want to be technically wrong. exempt the xps desktop line out of your blasphemy. tyvm. have a good day.

Note: it wont even void their warranty

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by f34r1355 View Post
I see so many posts about not being able to overclock low end OEMs, that is not entirely true. "Sure most dells can't overclock, but some XPS do" That has been almost the whole of this thread. I know that a lot of HP and Gateway(including Compaq and eMachines brand) can easily. you can access the bios with F11 in some cases with out any change. In cases that it does not work there may be a jumper on the motherboard that allows this feature. Sure there are some HP and Gateways that don't, but a good quantity do.

Also, in my opinion, Dells suck. They are probably the number one machine I get to fix / tell the person they need a new machine. If the quality of there parts is not bad enough, there tech support sucks. One of the people that brought their dell to me to be fixed, first went to geek squad who told him that his hard drive was shot, then he called dell tech support who told him the same thing, after 2 hours. He bought a HDD from dell after being told that they where proprietary components. He was charged $400 by Geek Squad, and $300 for an HDD from Dell. When he brought it in, the only thing I had to do was eject the floppy. He still had me install the HDD he bought (80GB, retail at the time was $70). I only charged him $10 for putting in the hard drive and cleaning the dust out. But $700 for a problem as simple as eject the floppy, come on. I always tell people to steer clear of Dell.

I do have to say that it is kind of funny that when people come back to me in three to four year and ask me to build their new computers. One of the things they always say is that they made the worst mistake in their life.

Well, so much for the filipins tech support. Thats why u buy a xps system and get american support where we dont so much " suck " as u would say.

also, the guy over the phone.. ok he doesn't see the system. but ****ing geek squad? those people should be ****ing sued. serius****ingly

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiz3r View Post
Probibally gonna get burnt for this but the only oc'able Dell is the 700 series (710 and 710h2c) theres a video and yes ive seen it done but only very slightly (core2 extreme to 3.198 Ghz on the 710)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HV5bKsQT8Q

but as for any other dell no oc'ing wont work, but you can use thier copy of windows on another system, after all thats the windows im using. (got some indian guy on the other line just told him i did a slight mobo upgrade, along with a processor ram and v-card. he gave me the validation key.)
yup those systems too

Last edited by archangel21; 12-27-2007 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 12-27-2007, 04:38 AM   #63
thepeganator
wtf ken?

I was going to write a come back to that...

But then I realised that you're not the kind of person who would take a blind bit of notice of what anyone else would have to say.

Unless you got a REALLY high end Dell, you can't overclock it with any ease whatsoever.

And if you bought a high end Dell that you can overclock then you obviously didn't read up on things beforehand!
Which would make you a newb.
Which can be good.

Archangel21 on the other hand, you have just given the perfect demonstration of what a nOOb is, down to the last note.
Please just go away.
England  Offline
Old 12-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #64
daboogas94e
Soulja Boy

die, noob, die.........
United States  Offline
Old 12-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #65
DanielC
Learning Every Day

Anybody know where to find the PLL manufacturers name? I would like to OC my laptop (Acer Aspire 3680) but need the PLL manufacturers name and PLL type for CPUFSB.
thanks
Netherlands  Offline
Old 12-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #66
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

CPU-z might help DanielC.
United States  Offline
Old 12-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #67
DanielC
Learning Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
CPU-z might help DanielC.
Thanks! I also just found this topic:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...&highlight=PLL
and there you're also instructed to use Sandra...
Netherlands  Offline
Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #68
mahwell
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thank you...case closed..2.2 ghz celeron overclock

I guess I buy a real pc
thanks
United States  Offline
Old 04-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #69
Bigt680
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel21 View Post
Hi, i stumped onto this forum looking for a way to get a custom bios or software to oc my xps m1330

But i had to register just to tell you that little neat threat u so bigly typed is 100% wrong. SINCE DELL SUPPORTS OVERCLOCKING IN THEIR SYSTEM

Well i can go to www.dell.com and buy a xps desktop h720c with watter cooling and over clock the fock out of the cpu. GUESS W00T THE BIOS LETS ME. oh and gets what it has a standard mobo...

so all ur blasphemy is wrong. So if u want to be technically wrong. exempt the xps desktop line out of your blasphemy. tyvm. have a good day.

Additional Comment:

Well, so much for the filipins tech support. Thats why u buy a xps system and get american support where we dont so much " suck " as u would say.

also, the guy over the phone.. ok he doesn't see the system. but ****ing geek squad? those people should be ****ing sued. serius****ingly

Additional Comment:

yup those systems too
Wow. It has to be pretty hard to do that. I'm sure it would be worth while buying a new OEM pc instead of wasting your time on that. But I guess that could work but would be very hard.
United States  Offline
Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #70
Renard0abi
internet tough guy.

Dell sucks, do not buy a Dell.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #71
Binarybandit
Learning To Overclock

Agreed. If you have a dell and your a gamer (or someone who actually uses your computer) its probably like the apple you have either in the trash or laying around the house as a table or something.
United States  Offline
Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 AM   #72
Bigt680
Overclocker

Well Dells arn't that bad for some people. People like us, are gamers and have OEM machines. But Dells are perfect for people who just need to like check their email and search the web. So it depends on who you are. Other people who dont play games will love their
Dell. But for gaming you cant use a Dell.
United States  Offline
Old 04-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #73
Zoomer
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel21 View Post

Additional Comment:

Additional Comment:

yup those systems too

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it!
No one wants to be defeated!
Showin' how funky and strong is your fight!
It doesn't matter who's wrong or right!
Just beat it, beat it!
Just beat it, beat it!
Just beat it, beat it!
Just beat it, beat it!
United States  Offline
Old 05-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #74
kweechy
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Dell Workstations?

Do these also fall under the jurisdiction of "YOU CANNOT OVERCLOCK A DELL"?

Only reason I ask at all is that I've got a new Precision T7400 with the Quad Core Xeon 3.2GHz processor and the problem is that some of the 3D software I use (mostly smaller 3rd party apps like RealFlow) only use two of the cores. I wanted to learn about OCing to boost my CPU potentially, but after joining this forum and reading through lots of material, I came across this thread, haha.

Does Dell's 'use the cheapest possible components for every single thing' policy apply to their Precision lines? I'm sure my BIOS still has absolutely no OCing options though I haven't checked it out yet.
Canada  Offline
Old 06-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #75
Rattrap551
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
But for gaming you cant use a Dell.
I won't dispute that Dell's aren't often good for gaming. Nevertheless I am using a Dell for gaming. Started with a sealed Vostro 200 (e8300, 500gb, 2gb RAM, XP) with extra 1gb ram and 8600gt for $510 on Craigslist. Sold the 8600gt for $75 and original internal Radeon 2400 for $30. Got a 600W PSU + XFX 8800gt Alpha Dog CoH bundle ($200). Net cost for all was $605. This thing can do everything but DX10 Crysis and my own mother (DX9 with "Very High Settings" hack looks as good as she does tho) Again, not disputing that Dell isn't normally for gaming, certainly not to overclock, but I think as a gamer I benefitted from Dell's recent decision to put an e8300 inside a "low-end business" PC and sell it cheap.
United States  Offline
Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #76
pablok2
Learning To Overclock

Smile

lets simply put it this way, if you are smart and want more out of the buck- don't get OEM systems unless they may be worth it. But for those of us stuck with the DELL, we use CPUCool and the wrong PLL that works and still overclock the DELL.
United States  Offline
Old 10-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #77
linuxfan2000
Burning LN2

I love this post... its is sooo funny!
I had a dell when I first read it...
NEVER AGAIN though!
out of dell land now... enjoying the freedom!
United States  Offline
Old 10-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #78
68Olds
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxfan2000 View Post
I love this post... its is sooo funny!
I had a dell when I first read it...
NEVER AGAIN though!
out of dell land now... enjoying the freedom!
I found this site back in 2004 looking to overclock my old Dimension 8100. A little reading quickly enlightened me to the fact that I'd NEVER overclock my sorrryass 1.5ghz Willy on a Dell mobo, but I did discover how to overclock the carp outta my Ti4400 and created a good upgrade path with my other hardware.
United States  Offline
Old 10-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #79
Neox69
Ike

Well I have to admit I bought a dell back in 2007 for a couple of resons:

1. Cheap refurbished systems that are reduced most of the time by 50% of what they charge new. Mostly cosmetic...
2. They have dual cores and quad cores (desktops), and their laptops aren't really all that bad for the price.
3. Customer service... So far RMA, Lost system disk and even downgrading to XP... not one problem when I have called them.

Now... when I got my Optiplex 740, it had the following:

AMD 5600+ Dual core 2.6ghz 2MB L2
4GB of DDR2 800
ATI 1300 PRO
250GB HDD SATA
DVDRW/CDRW 2x
Windows Ultimate 32bit (At this time they still wanted $500 for retail)

For a total cost of $389.. mind you this was in May of 2007. For that price, I was able to pick up an XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog($125) for it and two 500GB($110 a piece) drives and make it into quite a nice little overall desktop. I benched it with 3dMark06 and got 10756. So then I came on this forum and found ClockGen. Then I disabled Cool N' Quiet, raised the FSB for an OC of 2.9ghz using ClockGen and up'd the Volts with CrystalCPUID to a steady 1.4. After using Rivatuner to OC the 8800GT (700/1750/1100) I got 11789 on 3DMark06.

So I am now building a Phenom system the way a real gamer should, but for what it's worth that dell is still a workhorse and to this day I will praise it.

And if you can't use all the resources available to you, i.e. ClockGen, Crystal, Rivatuner then you will never know what you missed out on!
United States  Offline
Old 03-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #80
pinbender
Trying to keep up.

It's been my experience that nothing a can be done to Dell surfboard without archetecture mods. It's because of Dells' extremely secure FSB. Not only can it not be hacked, but it can't be destroyed be the overconfident novice user. I must agree it's not a gamers machine. Where I don't agree is where it can't be over-clocked. It may take more info than the average Bios tweeker can find on the net, but it can be done. I won't say that the work/outcome ratio would be worth the while, but saying you did it would be. I spent almost a decade with an L series and I can't even begin to tell you the frustration I've had with upgrades (CPU...OMG). The main problem I have with Dell is with their manuals. There is no detailed info watsoever and when you try to find it with an Intel schematic all the numbers are wrong. You can still find a similar board with similar numbers, but it can take a week of searching. Dell is the king of security. They make almost everyone give up.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply