EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Email & Instant Messengers

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
dygital
Mad Warranty Voider
Retired Staff

Post List of AIM Clients

I've seen a lot of talk about AIM clients and what people use for what. I figured it was about time, all the AIM clients are bunched up next to each other in a thread.

AIM Software (Clients)

Windows:
  • AIM 6.9 The latest official AOL Instant Messenger client. Contains advertising.
  • AIM 5.9 The last "classic" official AOL Instant Messenger client. Contains advertising.
  • AIM Pro A hybrid WebEx and AIM client which is designed for business. Contains advertising.
  • Light AIM (Beta) Official AIM client that is designed for speed.
  • Pidgin Unofficial AIM client, open source, connects to multiple IM networks.
  • Trillian Multi-Instant Message network client
  • AIM Express (Web) Not a download, but you can sign onto AIM here.
  • miniaim An unofficial smaller TOC-protocol based AIM client.
  • AIM Xtreme Unofficial AIM client which removes the advertisement from AIM 5.9 and other enhancements.
  • Miranda IM Multi-Instant Messenger client.
  • Digsby Another popular alternative AIM client that supports multiple networks. Contains optional Ask.com Toolbar
Mac:
  • iChat AV The IM client included with Apple OSX
  • Adium Multi-Instant Message network client
  • AIM Service for Mac Official AOL Instant Messenger client for Apple computers.
Linux
  • Pidgin Open-source AIM client for Linux based systems.
  • AIM for Linux The official AIM client for Linux.
Web-based (All systems, may require Flash)
  • Meebo The mainstream alternative Web-based IM client for AIM
  • AirAIM Another Web AIM app, but looks somewhat questionable.

The main differences in all of these are two things: Interface and the File Sharing abilities. They all connect to the same AIM servers. It's ideal that when you send files between your buddies to be using the same or equivalent client software.

The reason for file transfer problems are primarily firewall issues and then software differences. Official AIM clients use OSCAR protocol and other clients use TOC protocol. Since AIM protocol is now open (for a while now) newer clients should be all compatible with each other -- ideally.

A whole lot more information is available at the following resources:

Last edited by dygital; 06-21-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Updated
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-10-2007, 01:32 AM   #2
aenties

You forgot/don't have miniaim. Its only around ~80k or so.
United States  Offline
Old 02-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
daboogas94e
Soulja Boy

AIM Xtreme which can be found on www.ultimate-filez.com
United States  Offline
Old 02-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
etement
he's at it again

you also forgot Miranda IM.

http://www.miranda-im.org/
Ukraine  Offline
Old 02-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
falcobird
Mod in spirit

Why have 3 different versions of AIM?
Whats different about them?

Additional Comment:

BTW, I have used both miranda and GAIM. Miranda has a lot of potential but you have to spend a day getting the right plugins for your customizations. It is sweet that you can change the theme to whatever you want. GAIM is fairly straightforward no customizing really. Sweet and simple IM program. But file sharing on Gaim isnt always reliable. Its about 25% success rate for me.

Last edited by falcobird; 02-10-2007 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-11-2007, 01:48 AM   #6
Gh3tt0PC
йЯ мЭмʮ

BSFlite > all
http://bsflite.sourceforge.net/

And I agree it's really dumb to list different versions of AIM...why not list different versions of every other client then?

Last edited by Gh3tt0PC; 02-11-2007 at 09:28 PM.
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands  Offline
Old 02-11-2007, 04:15 AM   #7
aenties

Who cares, he's trying to be helpful.....though the helpfulness I haven't found yet
United States  Offline
Old 02-11-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
dygital
Mad Warranty Voider
Retired Staff

Post updated.
United States  Offline
Old 02-12-2007, 06:44 AM   #9
Yahooy2U
Friar Tuck
Super Moderator

stickied

thanks, i'm looking into AIM Lite
United States  Offline
Old 02-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
midijunky
mmm... Guinness

Dont forget centericq! The text based messaging client tunneled through ssh
United States  Offline
Old 02-13-2007, 06:10 AM   #11
falcobird
Mod in spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahooy2U View Post
stickied

thanks, i'm looking into AIM Lite
I just dont get why anyone would go for anything other than Gaim, trillain, or the like. Why even bother with official aim clients which come with spyware and ads?

Additional Comment:

also btw, Gaim and Trillian are essentially the same. Both are multi protocol clients. Might wanna add that.

Last edited by falcobird; 02-13-2007 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
Yahooy2U
Friar Tuck
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcobird View Post
I just dont get why anyone would go for anything other than Gaim, trillain, or the like. Why even bother with official aim clients which come with spyware and ads?

Additional Comment:

also btw, Gaim and Trillian are essentially the same. Both are multi protocol clients. Might wanna add that.
i have been using gaim for the past 3 years, before that, Deadaim, i know what is out there. I've tried miranda and trillian, and hated them both.

before you speak about something you know nothing about, why don't you look into it. AIM Lite has NO ADS. It is a development tool used internally where they develop AIM, that they decided to release to the public. It is still in beta, at version 0.31. It only has the essential features, no sound, no videos, no notifications, just instant messaging and file transfers. It supports multiple AIM screennames, messaging while away, logging, and tabbed IMs.

The only reason I used deadaim and gaim were the logging features, nothing else. I grew into the other features, but this was the main reason, and still is. I currently have gaim running right now handling my MSN and Yahoo accounts, but I'm using AIM Lite for my AIM needs.

Oh and if you've ever used trillian and gaim, you know they are nothing a like, except for the fact they can handle multiple protocols.
United States  Offline
Old 02-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #13
DSwarP
J.D. Freeman

AIM Lite is what I have been waiting for for YEARS.

I agree Yahoo, the only reason I used anything other than the regular AIM clients was for logging. But if AIM Lite has that, then hell, perfect. I hate notifications, I hate buddy icons, the only sound I use is when receiving a first, new message from someone.

I liked the new AIM, not Triton, but 6.0, except if was too ugly. The features were nice, but the GUI sucked IMO. Well, it was nice actually, but I dont like bulbous WinXP type graphics.

Additional Comment:

Holy GOD, I just downloaded AIM lite, and it's facking amazing. I only wish I could change the colors, but perhaps a plugin will be made for that (or maybe I'll have to make it...)

Additional Comment:

Haha, this thread is already a page 2 google result if you search for AIM Lite.

Nice.

Last edited by DSwarP; 02-14-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-15-2007, 07:25 AM   #14
iloveamd
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Decided to give AIM light a whirl also....WOWOWOWOW!

Ross =]]
United States  Offline
Old 02-15-2007, 07:30 AM   #15
falcobird
Mod in spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahooy2U View Post
i have been using gaim for the past 3 years, before that, Deadaim, i know what is out there. I've tried miranda and trillian, and hated them both.

before you speak about something you know nothing about, why don't you look into it. AIM Lite has NO ADS. It is a development tool used internally where they develop AIM, that they decided to release to the public. It is still in beta, at version 0.31. It only has the essential features, no sound, no videos, no notifications, just instant messaging and file transfers. It supports multiple AIM screennames, messaging while away, logging, and tabbed IMs.

The only reason I used deadaim and gaim were the logging features, nothing else. I grew into the other features, but this was the main reason, and still is. I currently have gaim running right now handling my MSN and Yahoo accounts, but I'm using AIM Lite for my AIM needs.

Oh and if you've ever used trillian and gaim, you know they are nothing a like, except for the fact they can handle multiple protocols.
so what is the difference between Gaim and trillian? Is trillian worth giving a spin? I'm using Gaim right now and it does everything that AIM ever did, and more so I dont see why you like AIM lite over that...
United States  Offline
Old 02-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #16
DSwarP
J.D. Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcobird View Post
so what is the difference between Gaim and trillian? Is trillian worth giving a spin? I'm using Gaim right now and it does everything that AIM ever did, and more so I dont see why you like AIM lite over that...
It looks cooler and has about half the footprint of GAIM. AIM Lite does a whole lot too...
United States  Offline
Old 02-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #17
dygital
Mad Warranty Voider
Retired Staff

Trillian has a massive variety of skins. Gaim (from my understanding) is more complicated to setup and use skins. They are nothing alike, and Trillian is more graphical than Gaim. Gaim is more function over form.

AIM Light has no ads or spyware and was brewed up in response to feedback Jason Calacanis had about AIM (when he was working at AOL). Regardless, there is a client for everyone with varying needs.
United States  Offline
Old 02-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #18
falcobird
Mod in spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dygital View Post
Trillian has a massive variety of skins. Gaim (from my understanding) is more complicated to setup and use skins. They are nothing alike, and Trillian is more graphical than Gaim. Gaim is more function over form.
Gaim actually has 3 skins by default, and no skin support at all
Its not complicated to set up however...You just put in a name and password and choose what program to use and it works by itself.

I'll check out trillian.

Quote:
AIM Light has no ads or spyware and was brewed up in response to feedback Jason Calacanis had about AIM (when he was working at AOL). Regardless, there is a client for everyone with varying needs.
interesting. Wonder why they got rid of the ads, because I thought that was the reason why AIM was offered in the first place.

Additional Comment:

i found a thing called "Meebo". Its kind of like AIM express in that it runs from a web browser but it is also multi protocol. It works with AIM, YIM, Google talk, and some others.
www.meebo.com

Last edited by falcobird; 02-15-2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #19
dnorf87
SUP

i use http://aimadhack.webhop.net/
United States  Offline
Old 02-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #20
daboogas94e
Soulja Boy

i have been using AIM Xtreme for about a yr now. i love that it has all the "offical" AOHELL stuff like file transfer and what not but it doen't have all the adware, spyware, and malware
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply