EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #41
Ray422
Learning To Overclock

Well done sir
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #42
Axiseuclid
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Absolutely invaluable guide for the newbie's such as myself. Knew nothing about overclocking before I read this; except that I wanted to try it. Hopefully if you or anyone else could look at my listing and tell me what they think....
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #43
rotationx
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thanks for this, a really nice guide.
United States  Offline
Old 02-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #44
Axiseuclid
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thanks so much the guide - knew zero about overclocking before reading your guide - learned loads from it. Have reached 3.0GHz with my current setup but its not squite table with orthos yet, would appreciate any help or advice on my setup - again brilliant work -
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 02-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #45
graysky
Learning To Overclock

Thanks for the kind words, all.

@axiseuclid - it's likely a function of the need for additional vcore to the chip, or to various parts of your board/memory. More details would be helpful.
United States  Offline
Old 03-02-2008, 01:42 AM   #46
terry123b99
Looking to Hit 5GHz!

what an excellent guide, thanks for all this information.
New Zealand  Offline
Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #47
graysky
Learning To Overclock

Minor updates made.
United States  Offline
Old 03-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #48
GPA105
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Very good OC learning for beginner like me, TY very much to give your experience
Canada  Offline
Old 03-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #49
wizbang
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

thank you for this.
superb, fantastic, very informative. I am an engineer turned gamer so to speak. Never did much over clocking before so this post was a great introduction. It was well organized and executed.

If this is not a sticky by now then I would hope that the admins of this forum take the time to look this over and make it so.

Last edited by wizbang; 03-22-2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: need to add something
United States  Offline
Old 03-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #50
1badbrd
Learning To Overclock

well after days and months of trying to earn about overclocking, i had many things running through my head. This post just brought it all together and i feel i'm ready to try to overclock through BIOS and forget AI NOS from Asus.

Thanks for the help. By the way this is my fist post of many i feel
United States  Offline
Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #51
graysky
Learning To Overclock

Thanks for the kind words all. The whole reason I wrote the guide was of newbie's who were interested, but didn't know where to start.
@1badbrd - glad to hear you stopped using that asus crapware. Enjoy your system!

Additional Comment:

Version is now 1.5.2 (updates in first post)

Last edited by graysky; 03-23-2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 03-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #52
Richdog
Yeah baby yeah...
Retired Staff

Glad to see you're actively updating this graysky, really nice job.
England  Offline
Old 03-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #53
graysky
Learning To Overclock

Thanks man, always trying to keep things up to date.
United States  Offline
Old 04-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #54
Cableaddict
Overclocker

Graysky, this is GREAT!

Nice to see an OC overview that isn't 4 years out of date.

The info re PCI Express Frequency & PCI Clock Synchronization I had not seen before, you may have just saved my audio cards as I experiment with more radical OC'ing.
------------------------------------

I must question two suggetions you make, though.
Both of these are points that are likely valid for gaming, but quite possibly incorrect if one is doing heavy multi-tasking (like a mondo audio rig, or some video systems)

The jury is still out on these, but the general consensus I get from pro AV forums is as follows:
--------------

1: quote: "Some people think a lower multiplier and a higher FSB is better. For example: 9x333 = 3.01 GHz and so does 8x375. I'll show you later that doing this in my experience only gives you faster synthetic benchmarks"

Evidently not true when multi-tasking. It would take me a while to find the test info I saved, but several test have been done on this by audio & video pros. They showed conclusively that, FOR HEAVY MULTI-TASKING, a faster FSB helped a little bit. The trade-off comes if you then have to loosen your ram timings. I'm a little fuzzy on the whole timing thing, that is: What do you gain by loosening them (what the heck is "faster" ram bandwidth good for if the timings are slower? Well, maybe gaming, as I said?)

and hence:

2: quote: "Second thing you'll want to do is relax (lower) the timings on your memory."

From what I have read,(and it's a difficult, deep subject) this is the last thing you want to do if you are multi-tasking, as it is critical to how the memory-manager communicates with the ram. For gaming, it doesn't matter much at all. There's a reason we spend big bucks for fast ram.

I don't know where the trade-off is on boosted ram / looser timings, vs, say running a divider, but I know the answer not so cut & dried for every application.

I realize you are recommending this as a starting point, so as to be only testing other parameters, but couldn't one, instead, bump the ram voltage a tad? (that's a question, not a suggestion) I remember when I first tweaked my Q6600 G0, using the stock cooler, 9 X 333 put my 800 ram at 833 Mhz. (I had no 1:1 divider at the time.) My system bluescreened several times. then I bumped the vram 01.v, and everything was fine. (I since got better cooling, but my notes say that even with the stock, load temps maxed at 58 .)

So, isn't that a viable proceedure, if one is concerned with keeping timings as fast as possible?
------

I'd like to hear other folks' thoughts on these issues, especially the non-gamers out there.

Additional Comment:

One more thing, a slight addition to your excellent treatise:

You suggest upgrading the cpu's air-cooler, and say that 120mm fans push more air than 92mm (or whatever.) true, but you might also (for the sake of completeness) mention that all CFM ratings are not the same. Some fin designs have more "torque" (wrong term, I know) than others, and 33mm thick fans tend to have more than 25mm thick fans. CFM out of the fan is important, but so is how much pressure the fan creates to drive that air through the fins.

Granted, most coolers come with fans, but not all, so noobs should be aware of this.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 04-09-2008 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 04-12-2008, 03:15 AM   #55
graysky
Learning To Overclock

@ca - thanks for the suggestions. One your 1st point, I'd be very interested in reading the evidence that faster FSBs makes a noticeable difference in audo/video stuff, if you can find the links.

Just to clarify on your second point, I just suggest relaxing the timings initially, once you're stable go ahead and bring them back down to the memory specs (4-4-4-12 for example). I'll re-read the memory vcore thing, thanks.
United States  Offline
Old 04-12-2008, 03:31 AM   #56
Richdog
Yeah baby yeah...
Retired Staff

RAM timings and a higher FSB will make a negligible difference in multi-tasking performance... anyone who says "it's the last thing you want" needs an award in amateur dramatics.
England  Offline
Old 04-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #57
Cableaddict
Overclocker

Richdog,

Go hang out on some of the serious professional AV forums for a while. That's the general consensus there, from folks who have done the benchmarking. Folks who do audio & video for Hollywood, NYC post houses, etc. They don't mess around. The part about ram timings was also confirmed to me, via email, by techs at two different ram manufacturers.

I can't say these things (ram timings and FSB speed) are true from personal experience, as I made very clear, above, but it has been stated as fact enough, by enough of the "right" people, that folks here should give it some consideration.

I was also told that using 4 gig of ram instead of two, when you don't actually need it, or (horrors) 8 gig will also decrease the multi-tasking throughput of the memory-manager. This I DID confirm with personal tests, and this is related to am timings somewhat.

This subject is of gtreat interest to me, as my rigs are multi-tasking nightmares, pushed right to the technological limits.

May I ask what tests / credentials you have for dismissing it?
(just asking, truly want to know)
------

Graysky,

I don't know if I still have that info in my database, or if I ever saved it, but I'll take a quick look. I vaguely remember that it had something to do with the memory-manager (and hence did not apply to AMD cpu's) but it was a while back. If I see more related threads, I'll be sure to post the urls here.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 04-12-2008 at 03:58 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 04-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #58
zelix
Nvidia Ftw?

holy shiz, I cant beleive i actually read through the whole thing! My head hurts now but.... THANKS!
Canada  Offline
Old 04-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #59
vutoq
Learning To Overclock

thanks for the guide, looking forward to trying to use it
United States  Offline
Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #60
Cableaddict
Overclocker

Still can't find that info I had on FSB speeds. I assume I didn't keep it.

However, I just read something similar concerning Intel's Xeon procs.

Go here and read down a bit: (Richdog, that means YOU.)

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

QUOTE:

"With the new Stoakley platform, the Front Side Bus (FSB) now tops out at 1600MHz. This bus increase should help Intel fight off their bus speed bottleneck woes awhile longer until QuickPath (Intel's on-die memory controller) makes its debut."

Like I said, it has to do with the memory manager. Under heavy multitasking, 1333 can be a bottleneck for current quads. Xeons are a bit more anal-retentive than 775 procs when addressing the memory, but they are still fairly similar. The pro A/V guys did real-world benchmarks on this, on DESKTOP quads.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 04-22-2008 at 06:34 AM.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply