EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #21
Holeinscalp
Faith In Colbert...

You sir, are a god.
Thank you. From the bottom of my heart...thank you.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
nicasoft
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

This one was really helpful... updated not like the other guides since 2004 or something... WC has change.... best thread ever!!
Nicaragua  Offline
Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #23
noobatwork
Do I need that?

Nice one. I personally love ur work. Great job on the guide. make it a sticky!!
United States  Offline
Old 01-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #24
DeepFriedCPU
King of Black Friday

why hasnt this been made a sticky yet????
United States  Offline
Old 01-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #25
tee_y
Learning To Overclock

Sticky, absolutely.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #26
Devilping
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Amazing post! Posts like these are what made me want to join. I have been doing a lot of Water Cooling research lately, and this has been some of the best information I have come across.

As a side note I personally like the I's and you's...I know they aren't correct from a technical point of view, but I found it helpful as a noob to water cooling...to hear what someone with a lot more experience feels.
United States  Offline
Old 01-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #27
Starkiller42
Evil Deviousness.

Hahahaha, I'm so glad you beat me to this. I know my 2007 guide (in sig) was starting to get just a little rusty around the edges, and I was feeling guilty just letting it go like that. Thanks for the grunt work!

I am a bit jealous yours got stickied so quickly, though .
United States  Offline
Old 01-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #28
WiCKeD
Still alive and well
Senior Moderator

Stickied until it gets old or we find something better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Nice guide and obviously a lot of work to prepare.
One tidbit of advice.
personal opinion should never be introduced into a guide. I know its hard to avoid but it turns it from guide to "he said she said"
Should also include links to unbiased test data or its just opinion which still makes it "he said she said".
Agreed and I made the same observation earlier in your rough draft. Know your audience and keep it neutral. Honestly, your guide is levels of objectivity beyond Angry's guides, but I would still add a brief explanation on the "Kits you should never consider" section. Even a watercooling newbie should be able to recognize most of the guide is based on solid experience, but they will ask why. Even the poorest products can have some bright spots and that is something you should always take into account. Example: I have seen someone scavenge one of the rads from the EVERCOOL EC-WC-202 kit and incorporate it as part of the cooling for a tight build - so even an otherwise milktoast kit has some limited application.

For your sake, I would recommending trimming all the different versions down to the Word and forum guide, because it will just make any update inconceivably painful!

Thanks for taking the time to make it forum friendly and the massive contribution to EOCF. Awesome job!
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 01-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #29
ricecrispi
Mad Warranty Voider

Starkiller

Your guide was used as starting point and had plenty of influence.

Wicked
I will format it into one version like the forum post. Took several hours just to get it from word into text and it is easier that way instead of having several copies.
United States  Offline
Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 PM   #30
issa2000
Long Time User

Hi great write up-ON the subject of non-conductive fluid (xp) i can vouch that it will remain non conductive (i a 2 month leak) leaking on electrical (fluid xp) (due to gigabyte galaxy pump/rev ) (res dev crack t bottom), it leak (slow leak) about 1cm of fluid xp was lost from + resev for 2 months all on 5+12v power (+ molex connection) and still kept going, if id use non-conductive fluid it would have blown my psu+ motherboad + cirucit for pump/res.
(also liquid got stuck in the bottom of the resv with the gigabyte pump, in the location with the circuit board)(it was ull of fluid xp that could not get out.

Thank you fluid xp for saving $600+ in hardware...

so: ps; fluid xp (ext) Will NOT become conductive even if a pool of it sits there for 2 months.- i dont carre what other people say, unless you had a leak with the stuff, and it did not stay non-conductive for a 1-2month period (same still pool)

i am a survivor, the proof is my system...a a crapy res from the gigabyte galaxy kit (used for 7 months only), by the way the pumps 100% perfect.

--

on the subject of cheap kits, i only used the pump//res + cpu block form the gigabayte kit (galaxy) (i had credit stuck at a shop - that had very little to sell.

ill hook up a better pump +???maybe resv to my stealth 360 rad + new dk gpu 8800 block and dtek fusion + nozzles + flow meter.

maybe a Aqua Computer Aquastream XT:-ultra version?, i was just upgrading to a 8500+gigabyte dq6 x38

Which is better for that pump t-line or resv???

Last edited by issa2000; 01-27-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Australia  Offline
Old 02-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #31
EAgle47
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the guide, I'm gonna print it so I can read it :P
United States  Offline
Old 02-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #32
Trollie
Steep Learning Curve

This is absolutely amazing! All of the links are outstanding. Thank you for all of your hardwork that you've donated to this forum.
United States  Offline
Old 02-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #33
Mech0z
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Is this the 3.1 pump ? link
I am in doubt of weither to get the D5 vario or laing with petra top. (I want a silent pc!)
Denmark  Offline
Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #34
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

Wow great thread but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You need to change something. This doesn't fit in 1280x1024 resolution. Seriously, noone can read it unless they use godly resolutions.

Please please fix and thank you!
United States  Offline
Old 02-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #35
XxKREWxX
Learning To Overclock

...why should he have to fix it because you have to scroll sideways, how bout you get a better screen. Seriously, I'm willing to wager this post took a ton of effort and you have the cojones to ***** about it?

On a lighter note AWESOME POST!!!
United States  Offline
Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #36
Narissis
Big Cat

...I don't even get it. I'm on a 1024x768 crappy 17" machine at work and I don't have to scroll sideways. Just a lot of scrolling up... an index with direct links to different posts might be nice but otherwise it's fine.
Canada  Offline
Old 02-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #37
ricecrispi
Mad Warranty Voider

I might change it so 17" users can view it in the future. I've been thinking about changing it when someone said something but it is a bit of work. I worked on final editing when I posted this on 17 inch I noticed the same problem. I didn't think many people would even use 17 inch so i didn't change it and it wasn't bad, need to scroll over. Perfect 19 inch and good on 18 inch.

Some additional changes in the future IE grammar, additional links, and updates.

People if have questions make a new thread; Don't put them here. I won't post answers to questions in here.
United States  Offline
Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #38
MaXXimus
Learning To Overclock

This is so handy I should print it all out and frame the pages for future reference... good job and thanks!
United States  Offline
Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #39
Trollie
Steep Learning Curve

I am still putting together the finishing touches on my water cooling setup. I have gone all the way from initally looking at kits (when I didn't know a thing) to putting together one Kicka$$ setup thanks to you. I have referred to this thread like 20 times (literally) since I have been doing all of my research/learning. Thanks again!
United States  Offline
Old 02-28-2008, 06:02 AM   #40
sale666
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

hello i would like to ask you to give me a set up for my pc the best you can from your point of view....
ok what i want to watercool is:
Amd athlon 6000+ x2
nvidia 8800 gtx

those 2 components are my goal to cool
i dont know how to take off the ram heatspreaders so i dunno if i should cool them too..
also chipset could do... dunno how to take that off either ... lol

So give me the best things i could buy for that! and price of it! thanks!

------------------------------------------

I see you gave d tek fusion for waterblock can i use that 1 on my processor?

My system specs:

Amd Athlon 6000+ x2 @ 3.0
Geil ultra 800 mhz
Nvidia 8800 GTX
Corsair HW520
Asrock AliveNF6G-VSTA

Last edited by sale666; 02-28-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Croatia  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply