EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us


Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!


Please Register to Post a Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #41
Kevster2004
Baking to the max
Kevster2004's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1,498
Last Seen: 11-20-2011
Age: 34
From: Manchester
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecrispi View Post
People if have questions make a new thread; Don't put them here. I won't post answers to questions in here.
Think you should make a thread regarding your question
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #42
sale666
Running System Stock
sale666's Avatar
Forum Newbie
 
Posts: 33
Last Seen: 09-26-2008
Age: 27
ok sorry i usualy dont read all the posts before i post...
Croatia  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #43
liquidthc
I betrayed AMD
liquidthc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 366
Last Seen: 08-16-2013
Age: 30
From: Gaffney, SC
iTrader: 1 / 100%
You may wanna consider adding that if you plan to use the MCW60 with the D-Tek Uni-Sink that minor modding will be required. You need to drill the holes around the core out and use the MCW60's mounting hardware, otherwise the waterblock will be pulling up on the heatsink and it wont touch some of the ram. (on the 8800GTS at least)
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #44
MJR
Mad Warranty Voider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1,272
Last Seen: 09-19-2011
From: Cleveland Hts
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecrispi View Post
2) Laing DDC 3.2 (MCP 355): with Custom Top: - USD $90-110 - The more power version of DDC 3.1 that uses 18 watts and is a tad louder. It is a noticeable difference but not audible inside a case and still quieter than Laing D5. Better flow rates than DDC 3.1 with mod top, even Laing D5, but the caveat is MCP 355/DDC 3.2 with certain tops are known to increase failure rates in small percentage (repeat small). Unless you can properly match the correct aftermarket top to specific version of the pump you can actually get several repeat failures. I recommend this combination if you do some research and worth the trouble. Below is a list of common DDC tops to help you. The ˝” DIY mod is an option and worth the trouble.
What is the 1/2 DIY mod you speak of? I've seen some talk of modding the after market tops, bu I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-31-2008, 01:57 AM   #45
ricecrispi
Mad Warranty Voider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,066
Last Seen: 10-28-2014
Age: 35
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by iadstudio View Post
What is the 1/2 DIY mod you speak of? I've seen some talk of modding the after market tops, bu I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about.
We have winner with Valid question.

Robotech now a reviewer on pcper.com had idea about modding the DDC tops and blessed us with idea with removing the 3/8" inlet and glue 1/2" to the top. All my DDCs have this with more filling.



http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=96281
http://www.themodnation-forums.com/v...hp?f=25&t=1912
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-31-2008, 04:41 AM   #46
propaintball
Official SpellChecker
propaintball's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1,265
Last Seen: 05-13-2013
Age: 26
From: Weymouth, Dorset
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Looks a bit skethchy to me. I would rather just buy a new block. Wouldnt risk that.
England  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-31-2008, 12:27 PM   #47
MJR
Mad Warranty Voider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1,272
Last Seen: 09-19-2011
From: Cleveland Hts
iTrader: 3 / 100%
I saw a mod for Petras top and other like it that widened the outlet a bit to allow better flow. Forgot where I saw it though. Anybody else seen this?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-31-2008, 02:37 PM   #48
liquidthc
I betrayed AMD
liquidthc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 366
Last Seen: 08-16-2013
Age: 30
From: Gaffney, SC
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by iadstudio View Post
I saw a mod for Petras top and other like it that widened the outlet a bit to allow better flow. Forgot where I saw it though. Anybody else seen this?
Yeah, I believe that's on the XS forums somewhere. I can't seem to find it now though. It wasn't that long ago.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #49
blacksnake32
Learning To Overclock
blacksnake32's Avatar
Regular Member
 
Posts: 68
Last Seen: 02-09-2009
iTrader: 0 / 0%
wow... i've found all i need!
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #50
Bunny
Girls play too....
Bunny's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 521
Last Seen: 01-15-2017
Age: 43
From: ~/
iTrader: 2 / 100%
As one who is planning her first ever WC setup - this is an excellent guide.

Thanks
England  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #51
ricecrispi
Mad Warranty Voider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,066
Last Seen: 10-28-2014
Age: 35
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by propaintball View Post
Looks a bit skethchy to me. I would rather just buy a new block. Wouldnt risk that.
Well it's not plain glue, it's epoxy so it's hard as plastic, harder actually. The original version done by robotech keeps the lip and doesn't bore it out with a tap. You want the original lip.

I did this before Petra and others released more versions, only alphacool tops were available and back then the top was $30-40. This mod outperforms the alphacool top. With $20-25 tops now and I started fresh I would get one.

Don't enlarge the inlet, just chamfer the outlet, just round out the edge at the entry. If you make the inlet to big it will reduce head pressure.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #52
propaintball
Official SpellChecker
propaintball's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1,265
Last Seen: 05-13-2013
Age: 26
From: Weymouth, Dorset
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecrispi View Post
Well it's not plain glue, it's epoxy so it's hard as plastic, harder actually. The original version done by robotech keeps the lip and doesn't bore it out with a tap. You want the original lip.

I did this before Petra and others released more versions, only alphacool tops were available and back then the top was $30-40. This mod outperforms the alphacool top. With $20-25 tops now and I started fresh I would get one.

Don't enlarge the inlet, just chamfer the outlet, just round out the edge at the entry. If you make the inlet to big it will reduce head pressure.
Ah i see. (10char)
England  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #53
Critica1
Running System Stock
Critica1's Avatar
Forum Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Last Seen: 01-31-2009
From: New Zealand
Okay well guys I REALLY! need help... I'm getting a liquid cooling system... I have $200-$500 to spend (NZD) and I have no Idea what to get... but I want something that looks insane and does the job. I plan on Over clocking when I learn how...

heres my set up:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core Processor QX9650 3.00GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula Intel x38 DDR3 w/1600MHz FSB and GEN 2 Crossfire
Cooling System: some gay fan...
Rig: CoolerMaster Stacker 832 Tower w/SidePanel window (Black)
9x Aerocool Xtreme Turbine 3000 UV Blue 120mm LED Fan
Rig Power: Tuniq Ensemble 1200W Power Supply
Memory: CORSAIR Dominator 4GB (2x2Gb) with Heat Spreader 370659T
Operating HD 1: WD Raptor 74GB WD Raptor SATA 10000RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive
Data Hard Drive 1: 500GB SATA-II 3GGb/s 16Mb Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Video Card Crossfire 1: EAHH3870X2 1gb
Video Card Crossfire 2: EAHH3870X2 1gb
Optical Drive 1: Asus Internal SATA 2014BLT 20x LIGHTSCRIBE
Moniter: BENQ 2000W 20"
Speakers: Logitech x-540 5.1
Headset: Razer Piranha
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
Mouse: Razer Lachesis Banshee Blue 4000 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
Operating System: Windows XP professional SP2

Please help!
New Zealand  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #54
Narissis
Big Cat
Narissis's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 880
Last Seen: 11-15-2013
Age: 31
From: Atlantic Canada
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critica1 View Post
Okay well guys I REALLY! need help... I'm getting a liquid cooling system... I have $200-$500 to spend (NZD) and I have no Idea what to get... but I want something that looks insane and does the job. I plan on Over clocking when I learn how...

heres my set up:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core Processor QX9650 3.00GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula Intel x38 DDR3 w/1600MHz FSB and GEN 2 Crossfire
Cooling System: some gay fan...
Rig: CoolerMaster Stacker 832 Tower w/SidePanel window (Black)
9x Aerocool Xtreme Turbine 3000 UV Blue 120mm LED Fan
Rig Power: Tuniq Ensemble 1200W Power Supply
Memory: CORSAIR Dominator 4GB (2x2Gb) with Heat Spreader 370659T
Operating HD 1: WD Raptor 74GB WD Raptor SATA 10000RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive
Data Hard Drive 1: 500GB SATA-II 3GGb/s 16Mb Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Video Card Crossfire 1: EAHH3870X2 1gb
Video Card Crossfire 2: EAHH3870X2 1gb
Optical Drive 1: Asus Internal SATA 2014BLT 20x LIGHTSCRIBE
Moniter: BENQ 2000W 20"
Speakers: Logitech x-540 5.1
Headset: Razer Piranha
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
Mouse: Razer Lachesis Banshee Blue 4000 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
Operating System: Windows XP professional SP2

Please help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecrispi View Post
Please post questions in forums, I will only answer questions with a thread in the forums.

Questions don't tend to get answered in here.
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #55
llmrbluell
Overclocker
llmrbluell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 138
Last Seen: 05-29-2017
Age: 28
iTrader: 0 / 0%
finally a up to date guide thanks!
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #56
aigomorla
Haro Haro Shinigami
aigomorla's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 184
Last Seen: 12-08-2010
iTrader: 0 / 0%
rice the EK dominates on quadcores.

The D-tek Quad comes next.

On dualcores tho, the EK loses to the D-tek with 3.5mm nozzle and massive headpressure pump.

The test was done on XS, i cant find the thread as its been very long. But his results and also mine both lead to the same thing. The EK is one tough block to beat on a dual die chip thanks to its large cooling area and wide distribution along with jets.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #57
forsaken575
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Last Seen: 05-10-2008
external housing ?

great post-was very helpful in deciding which parts to choose from others.

was curious if there is any exterior housing units/boxes that exist as i have not seen any, except for the radbox which houses the radiator. i have a backup system (not OC) that was defaulted to watercooling when i upgraded my main system and gave the fittings to backup.

as a backup not looking to get too crazy, but the space is tight inside was hoping to move as much as possible to an external housing unit if possible. i know i can switch from a reservoir to a t-line, but still a novice at watercooling and not sure if i'll be able to bleed the loop right. any suggestions?

my backup sys is like a frankenstein monster, using a lot of spare/extra parts i have-i already moved a hd and dvd-drive externally but a lot of the wires from the over the top 750 psu makes the inside a disaster area, and would like to clean up the space. thanks!
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #58
madmaxx
aVeRaGe FrIdAy
madmaxx's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 478
Last Seen: 01-21-2014
From: toronto
iTrader: 0 / 0%
AQx-50z louder than D4/D5? LOL!

good thread and thnx for this thread, but there is some missinformation in it.
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #59
ricecrispi
Mad Warranty Voider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,066
Last Seen: 10-28-2014
Age: 35
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Prove the statement with numbers or evidence. You haven't done that once. It's all assumptions and opinions

http://www.cooling-masters.com/articles-33-14.html
With numbers, graphs, and sound files.

AquaXtreme 50Z dBA 43.5 :: Télécharger
Dangerden D4
dBA 51.5 :: Télécharger
Dangerden D5
dBA < 35 | < 35 | 35 | 36 | 37.5 ::Télécharger


I provided a Pm to resolve it privately. Yet you want to keep it in the open and take it here. I'll open it wide open for everyone to see because I'm not smart enough to let it go. I won't edit this and remove it.

COMPUBOX PUNCHTRACK
One thread
1 > 2 > 3 > 4
Another thread
7 > 8 > 9 >
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
just curious how long have you been into W/C?
Answer For anyone who wants to know.

I've been WCing before Swiftech had a watercooling kit available using tupperware for a res with submerged fish tank pump and shroud. I used full Al block on p3 500 with tap water and block died. I bandwagon after a friend did it to overclock his duron. There were no guides like today, maybe one two reviews by Bill and Cathar on XS. I have Swiftech first kit till this day with MCP300 pump and earliest Black ICE 80mm rad. Swiftech has known more for their air cooling HSF. Cathar didn't even have a bandwagon yet but was getting there. I didn't even understand Bill's, Cathar's, or PH's articles and reviews. It doesn't matter how long it's about know the correct information

Misinformation is on your end and it's been 4-5 times more with gaps of information. About D4 and D5, MCP600/50-Z, certain Ehiems 600/compact not being reliable, about difference between parallel vs series pumps, confusing a CPX pump for CSP pump, claim MaxxxRacer has misinformation on his guide without pointing it out, demanding I show where Petra from petratechshop favored CPX pumps when its available on XS.

Last edited by ricecrispi; 06-07-2008 at 02:36 AM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #60
madmaxx
aVeRaGe FrIdAy
madmaxx's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 478
Last Seen: 01-21-2014
From: toronto
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecrispi View Post
Prove the statement with numbers or evidence. You haven't done that once. It's all assumptions and opinions

http://www.cooling-masters.com/articles-33-14.html
With numbers, graphs, and sound files.

AquaXtreme 50Z dBA 43.5 :: Télécharger
Dangerden D4
dBA 51.5 :: Télécharger
Dangerden D5
dBA < 35 | < 35 | 35 | 36 | 37.5 ::Télécharger


I provided a Pm to resolve it privately. Yet you want to keep it in the open and take it here. I'll open it wide open for everyone to see because I'm not smart enough to let it go. I won't edit this and remove it.

COMPUBOX PUNCHTRACK
One thread
1 > 2 > 3 > 4
Another thread
7 > 8 > 9 >


Answer For anyone who wants to know.

I've been WCing before Swiftech had a watercooling kit available using tupperware for a res with submerged fish tank pump and shroud. I used full Al block on p3 500 with tap water and block died. I bandwagon after a friend did it to overclock his duron. There were no guides like today, maybe one two reviews by Bill and Cathar on XS. I have Swiftech first kit till this day with MCP300 pump and earliest Black ICE 80mm rad. Swiftech has known more for their air cooling HSF. Cathar didn't even have a bandwagon yet but was getting there. I didn't even understand Bill's, Cathar's, or PH's articles and reviews. It doesn't matter how long it's about know the correct information

Misinformation is on your end and it's been 4-5 times more with gaps of information. About D4 and D5, MCP600/50-Z, certain Ehiems 600/compact not being reliable, about difference between parallel vs series pumps, confusing a CPX pump for CSP pump, claim MaxxxRacer has misinformation on his guide without pointing it out, demanding I show where Petra from petratechshop favored CPX pumps when its available on XS.
do me a favour there bud and look at the info YOU posted within regards to pump noise then re-read youre previous statements on pump noise.

compubox punchstats? are you serious? GTFO how old are you 16-17?

i will reserve any further comments
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:43 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, EXTREME Overclocking