EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #21
xoggyux
Some one Said so.

guys I might be mistaken, but I believe using WAX is a total waste of time, AFAIK wax will only make it LOOK shiny and smooth as long as the wax is ON the chip, once it goes away (you'd need to clean it off before installing it) the chip will be exacly as it was before the application of the wax (AFAIK there is no corrosive WAX or anything.)
If on the other hand you use POLISHER (or some kind of car scratch fix, if you want to use car products ) (which usually come with abrasive chemicals (don't know if would be recommended or of it would work with copper anyway) maybe it would help a bit.

Quote:
Push the processor across the sandpaper, pick it up and return it to start, push across again. Do this 11 times exactly. Then rotate the processor 90* and do another 11 passes. Rotate, again and 11 passes. Then a final rotation and 11 passes. Then check it.
What do you mean with 11 times exactly? o.O
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #22
Drozdov
Mad Warranty Voider

turtle wax is a brand, the one pictured in this thread is a polish not a wax.
United States  Offline
Old 06-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
xoggyux
Some one Said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drozdov View Post
turtle wax is a brand, the one pictured in this thread is a polish not a wax.
my bad, I actually just checked the thumb images and did not get to see "polish" lol, otherwise I would not have mentioned wax as I know the difference also I got confused with
Quote:
Clean the turtle wax off (is not easy to do) and I'd actually recommend not using wax at all. Use something called "Mothers Aluminium and Mag Polish". Also, I use a piece of printer paper taped to glass.
In anyway polish is usually OK for paint, but I dont know if its OK for copper (also copper oxidizes readily, I really would not want extranoeus chemicals touching it) my point is, if it help in the process then use it, but if it does not help then.... lets better avoid including another variable

OK that being said I might be lapping my PII 955BE next week, I already bought a set of sand paper (all the way to 3000 grit so if I am patient enough I might be getting a pretty nice finish)
One question though, Have anyone tried this with Heat-pipe direct touch coolers? Is it better than non-lapped? I got a Sunbeam Core contact and I am getting a thermalright ultra (is being shipped as of now), I already know the thermalright have a nice improvement after lapped, but what about Heat-pipe direct touch coolers? is it better/worse/same? (any info would be appreciated)
Anyway if I do lap mine, I will get pics to help this guide which is looking good.
United States  Offline
Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #24
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

I lapped and polished with Mother's Alum. and Mag polish. It's been working great without any corrosion on a water cooled rig... for about 1_1/2 years. Every time I've removed the water block for an upgrade, it's been flawless.

Just make sure you clean it well with alcohol after polishing. This should be done anytime it's removed and lapped anyway.
United States  Offline
Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #25
xoggyux
Some one Said so.

uhm. what about jewelry cleaner/polisher? its designed to work with precious metals gold/silver/platinum I am pretty sure copper as well. Also once I heard a "trick" of cleaning precious metals with toothpaste? (got no idea if it works or not) but if it works, it would be EXTREMELY easy to use it due to its consistency.
United States  Offline
Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #26
johnerz
Just getting Old

polishing with any product leaves a residue and therefore is not recommended practice
England  Offline
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #27
jjjc_93
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
IMO Polsishing is just another thing that can f***k it all up. I say keep it simple and traditional, take your time, take care and you cant go wrong
Australia  Offline
Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #28
danthompsett
Resistance is Futile

I think the alcohol and sanding paper is just fine, and you can still use finer grades without useing polish
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #29
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Agreed, just go on higher grits and it will get shinier and shinier.
Canada  Offline
Old 06-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #30
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

Toothpaste contains aluminium oxide, which happens to be a polish. I'd recommend against using it tho.

Polishing isn't necessary. Lapping with high grits is just fine. However, if you want to polish it, don't use wax or toothpaste. Some jewellery polishes might work. Mothers (automotive) polish is the best.
United States  Offline
Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #31
xoggyux
Some one Said so.

I actually agree, the sandpaper is the way to go, but since I already saw people talking about polishers (maybe they will help a bit on getting the work done faster, but I dont think the quality can improve on any way or form using polishers) and I thought I could contribute with some ideas.
I am anxious waiting for my TRUE to arrive . I made a question I believe it never got answered so let me repeat it... Have someone tried lapped CPUs + Heat Pipe Direct Touch Heatsinks?
United States  Offline
Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #32
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

btw you can use polish as a lapping lubricant... forgot to mention that. Instead of water or alcohol, you can lap with the sandpaper and polish.
United States  Offline
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #33
xoggyux
Some one Said so.

I have few questions:
@Rauchster did you use some kind of methodic method (e.g. applying TIM in the exact same way, all fans speed @ same speed in all test, same room temp, several test + average, etc etc etc?) because for once those temperature drops look too good to be true, also if true then that would put top end heatsinks @ same level as water cooling o.o? and in the other hand, I have not come up with a METHODIC review of a lapped heatsink just yet (frostytech was going to do it to the TRUE but they claim the heatsink fall to the floor and got damaged [LOL, what a fall] and the temperature difference was only 0.8C [below before lapping]) other reviews (of users) say lapping is GREAT, other say is SOSO, other says its actually worse, so now I am confused
United States  Offline
Old 06-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #34
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

If lapping is only soso or is worse, obviously they didn't lap correctly. If a HSF or processor is lapped incorrectly, it can make the heat transfer worse.

Follow the rules of lapping and everything comes out right. You can see 5-10*C differences, on air or water.
United States  Offline
Old 06-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #35
Zer010