EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #61
xoggyux
Some one Said so.

Quote:
45nm is 45nm in my opinion.
what's that supposed to me?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #62
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

oy I'm off topic but... I <3 45nm

United States  Offline
Old 07-05-2009, 05:47 AM   #63
swaylight
Learning To Overclock

does anyone know where you can get the high grit paper and rubbing alcohol from in the uk? i've tried places like wilko's and b&q but had no luck
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 07-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #64
xoggyux
Some one Said so.

here in the US hardware stores (homedepot, ACE, Lowes, etc) have low-mid and sometimes high grits (abou 1000-2000). I have not found grit 2000+ in a local hardware store so far, if you want 2000 my best guess would be looking on the internet. Some hobby stores might carry high grit sandpaper, if you know of any you could go and take a look/ask. As for higher grits (5000+) AFAIK you will only find it in hobby stores and jewelery supply/store, they are very expensive. As the OP said about 1,500 grit and thats all you need for lapping, going higher is overdoing it and its just for the idea of having a mirror finish, which makes absolutely no difference in cooling compared to the same flattness/roughness but with dull finish.
I hope that helped. Hopefully today I can put my computer back together and report if my temps dropped a bit with a new fan in the case, brand new TIM, and CPU lapped up to 12K grit (this time wet sand as it is a lot faster, I used alcohol and took me like 45mins to go over all grits from 200[again, since I spotted an area of large TIM accumulation and wanted to flat it up] up to 12K.
United States  Offline
Old 07-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #65
demitry
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

nice one

Philippines  Offline
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #66
TheDayWalker
Its Voodoo magic man

The only place i found 2000 grit paper in the uk was here sway:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10pk-COLAD-WET...3A1%7C294%3A50
however Halfords do wet and dry which (in their car body section up to 1500 grit @ 1.99 per pack, happy shopping..
England  Offline
Old 08-01-2009, 05:37 AM   #67
listensilent
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Wow! Such a reduction in temps is very impressive. Tempted to do this on my I7 920!
United States  Offline
Old 08-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #68
sinohptik
Doing My Best to Help

so, i have no doubts this is effective, but i am curious as to the tolerances in the original manufacturing process on the processors. obviously, heatsinks have tons of different finishes, but how "unflat" (cant think of the right word ) are they (processors) directly from the factory that lapping can have such dramatic results?
United States  Offline
Old 08-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #69
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinohptik View Post
so, i have no doubts this is effective, but i am curious as to the tolerances in the original manufacturing process on the processors. obviously, heatsinks have tons of different finishes, but how "unflat" (cant think of the right word ) are they (processors) directly from the factory that lapping can have such dramatic results?
Processors are *microscopically* not flat. Most heatsinks are not flat. Every heatsink I have ever lapped has turned out to be far from perfectly flat. Even the water blocks I have lapped, although water blocks are generally flatter than HSF's.

If you want to see for yourself, use the marker trick. Draw an X with a marker and lap it. You can peek and see where the marker is rubbing away.
United States  Offline
Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #70
Doglips
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaylight View Post
does anyone know where you can get the high grit paper and rubbing alcohol from in the uk? i've tried places like wilko's and b&q but had no luck
Ya try any Auto Body supply/Auto part store. If they sell auto Body Supplies they will have the sandpaper needed!
United States  Offline
Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #71
Josie Wales
Extreme Overclocker

Don't get so hung up on a mirror finish. For maximum thermal transfer you do not need to go beyond 1200 to 1500 grit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinohptik View Post
For processor tolerances you will need to do the appropriate research. With an Intel solution it begins with the Datasheet and the Thermal/Mechanical Design Guidelines. Integrated heat spreaders are purposely designed with curvature due to the mechanical advantages of slightly concave surfaces and the limitations involved in the manufacturing process. With a bit more work you will find additional white papers that cover heatsink mating surface specifications in detail. Here are a couple of links to get you started.

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...hts/318726.pdf

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...nex/315594.pdf
United States  Offline
Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #72
sinohptik
Doing My Best to Help

Josie Wales, that is EXACTLY the kind of information i was looking for, thank you! time to get in-depth.

thank you again.
United States  Offline
Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #73
WuzzA21
hardcore supremacy

I lapped my q9450 yesterday up 2 1200 grit. 3deg cooler on hottest core. And 5 on lowest core. Only took me 60mins. Well worth my time, as it now makes me feel more at ease with my load temps.
I wish I had of done it earlier.
Australia  Offline
Old 04-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #74
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

This looks fun, I'm gonna give it a shot on a old nonworking processor and work up to some working ones I can test. Autozone near my house carries up to 2000 wet/dry sandpaper. Its a national store I think so you can probably get it anywhere.
United States  Offline
Old 04-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #75
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

I don't think you need to get such a fine grit sandpaper. Anything over 1000 grit is probably overkill. If you really want to go all out you you can buy some jewelers rouge, or get a lens polishing kit.
United States  Offline
Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #76
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Meh, i didnt wanna do anything other than sanding i didnt like the idea of polish, the sandpaper is cheap so ill try it out and see how it does. Ill weed out grits if i find them unnecessary.
United States  Offline
Old 04-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #77
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

I used 800 grit on my Zalman, and then finished off with some copper polish. No moirror finish, but enough where I had about 3 or 4 c drop in temps.
United States  Offline
Old 04-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #78
SlaveOnDope
Please do go on.

No changes in temps lapping Athlon64 3200 939
Used 380, 600, 1000 grit perfectly flat, sticks to glass its so flat.

Sure as hell wont be doing this to my newer chips that still have warranty left.

To each his own.....
United States  Offline
Old 04-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #79
Doglips
Mad Warranty Voider

Hey Slave did you lap your HS also? It may help...
United States  Offline
Old 04-19-2010, 06:06 PM   #80
SlaveOnDope
Please do go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglips View Post
Hey Slave did you lap your HS also? It may help...
I used the stock hsf and a direct pipe hsf so no i didnt lap either.
The stock hsf is very flat when checking with a straight edge.
Dips in the cpu were evident however.

I may look it all over again but hell I used ac5 and applied it 3 different ways on each hsf.
The thin spread, tiny dot, and X methods no differences.
Im letting it set and cure maybe something will happen.

My thinking right now is whats the point if you still have a small amount of tim it has to transfer heat thru.
I'll give it another look over and maybe lapp a hsf too, Im just trying before I apply it to something worth something.
Not denying that it works but thus far, for me, no go.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply