EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Ed_Strong
Learning To Overclock

Anybody has info on DirectUPS? Their model DP1000 1000VA 600 Watts 4 Outlets UPS seem like a good candidate for the budget minded customer like myself!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842117005
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #22
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Strong View Post
Anybody has info on DirectUPS? Their model DP1000 1000VA 600 Watts 4 Outlets UPS seem like a good candidate for the budget minded customer like myself!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842117005
Quote:
Type Off Line
Worthless piece of crap! No AVR. POS!!!
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #23
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

I've read this guide and I found it to be very informative. I purchased an APC Backups RS 1200,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842101006 . I am very impressed with the unit. I love the fact that with the included software I can see how much my rig is actually drawing. I'm pullig at most about 330 watts @ load. I also found that may of the outlets in my home are not grounded with this unit. It has a GFI (ground fault indicator). I am replacing the 50 year old outlet in my home with new ones and grounding them. A good UPS is a must!
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #24
Oobi Doob
o hai guis!!1!1!won

i also found this guide to be very informative. i just now bought two APC Smart-UPS SUA1500's from Ebay for $80 a piece. that price seems ridiculous, but they appear to be a reputable seller and there was no mention of damage/refurb in the description (although there wasn't any mention of condition at all really). fingers crossed i suppose. hopefully 1960 watts of uninterruptible power will be enough for a while.

btw, why no sticky yet?
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
ELItheICEman
#define i 0x15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobi Doob View Post
btw, why no sticky yet?
Probably because (a) n00bs never read stickies anyway and (b) anyone who's been around a while should know of Dave and can find this page by their own means (aka SEARCH). But I agree, it should be a sticky anyway.
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #26
WordMasterRice
Caffeine Addict

Its probably more because the Essential Tutorials and Guides section is a section that would pretty much only contain sticky'd threads if they did sticky them. That's the point of this section.
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #27
Oobi Doob
o hai guis!!1!1!won

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindtalkerCS View Post
Its probably more because the Essential Tutorials and Guides section is a section that would pretty much only contain sticky'd threads if they did sticky them. That's the point of this section.
lol, i didn't even notice what section this thread was in (nor that this section existed). i had just assumed it was in the PSU section. my bad.
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #28
WordMasterRice
Caffeine Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobi Doob View Post
lol, i didn't even notice what section this thread was in (nor that this section existed). i had just assumed it was in the PSU section. my bad.
Not a problem, actually after reading my post over again I think it came across a bit more hostile that I had intended.
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #29
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

A UPS is probably one of the most overlooked essentials for owning a pc.
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #30
Oobi Doob
o hai guis!!1!1!won

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindtalkerCS View Post
Not a problem, actually after reading my post over again I think it came across a bit more hostile that I had intended.
i didn't find it hostile at all. you were simply pointing something out that i (apparently) didn't know anything about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimart7
A UPS is probably one of the most overlooked essentials for owning a pc.
i hope to see a difference with my main pc, but i won't get my hopes up. the main reason i began to consider investing in a UPS or UPS's was for my new fileserver. i really don't want any arrays dying and taking my data with them. the fact that the Perc 5i i bought didn't come with a BBU doesn't help.
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #31
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

Hey Dave how is the quality on this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1122654249041
Geek Squad® - 1285VA UPS/Battery Back-Up System
It's a Cyberpower model really with the Geek Squad logo on it.

It says it has AVR, but I'm sure its a simulated sine wave. Just curious as to your thoughts on it.
Whenever you come back anyways. *Waits another year*
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 07-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #32
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

The Cyberpower ones are not that great. Get an APC. You want want one that has both boost & trim. This will allow the UPS go on battery power when the voltage is too low or too high. AVR is automativ voltage regulation which is a good feature. This unit does not say how many watts it is.
United States  Offline
Old 07-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #33
Clone of 501
Proficient fertilizer

I got a Pulsar Evolution 1500w by MGE. Anyone heard of that one or have one?

http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-MGE-UPS...ion-1500-89346

http://images.fixya.com/M/MGE/177x150/20853973.JPG
United States  Offline
Old 07-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #34
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

I'm not familiar with that brand. From what I see about the features, it appears to have boost & trim. That is a very important feature.
United States  Offline
Old 07-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #35
CaligulaPwns
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Here is a link from Paul at [h]...I guess you can say the source as it looks strikingly similar..........

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1052508
United States  Offline
Old 07-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #36
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Looking at the sticky here, and advice from an electrician buddy, and an electrical engineers buddy all helped with my decision.
United States  Offline
Old 09-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #37
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Now that I am back, hopefully I will have this finished by month's end.
Dave
United States  Offline
Old 09-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #38
DesertRat
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhammock200 View Post
Folks, I am not going to spend the time necessary to run this down & post links for the sheer purpose of why wattage is approximately 60% of V/A on most UPS's. I do not know & I really do not care either!
It's not just that wattage is approximately 60% of VA, it has to do with efficiency.

Basically the DC power formula is P=EI

power in watts = volts x amps

But in AC you have more variables including what type of load, inductive like motors and resistive like PC equipment. Plus the fact you have AC waveforms that don't give you 100% power.

The power factor commonly used is 60% that is not a perfect number but is used as a guideline. Sometimes you have more efficiency for example the sine wave online UPS I have is rated 1KVA but also 700W. They specified it exactly because they know. OTOH my 1500VA square wave UPS is not as efficient so it's rated 900W (60% x 1500).

Additional Comment:

I recently bought a couple of UPS made by Gamatronic http://www.gamatronic.com

They have a crappy website but their UPS seem pretty nice. I got one of the online ones (700 watts) and a line interactive one (900 watts). The line interactive model is 1500 VA and runs silently. It has 2 IEC outlets. The online model has 3 IEC outlets and a couple of fans running all the time. I think it varies based on which exact model you get. They have offices in UK and Israel. I bought direct from the factory. I've had the units for a couple of weeks. Too soon to know but they seem well made and have some nice features like RJ45 protection, a couple of different interfaces (RS-232 and SNMP) and include accessory power cables. There is also a provision for adding extra batteries to the online one. I haven't checked the other one.

Gamatronic is a power supply company that specializes in commercial power and UPS. That gave me more confidence than buying from a company that makes UPS along with zillions of other types of products. They should know what they are doing.

Definitely another company to add to the list.

And now I WILL have my coffee steaming hot thank you, come hell or high water! Power failures won't stop me mwahahahahaha

Last edited by DesertRat; 10-13-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: fixed number of outlets on each unit.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 10-02-2009, 06:12 AM   #39
toneus
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Hi

I've been away for a while and just come back to this thread. A lot of people are asking why is the UPS Watts rating about 60% of the VA rating. In fact it is usually around 70% and this is because of historical reasons.

Before power factor correction, PC power supplies use what is known as a rectifier - a device that converts AC power into DC. Rectifiers do not act in a linear manner, but instead take spikes of current. (A light bulb is a linear load and the current waveform matches the voltage waveform). Its these spikes that cause distortion and if you were to analyse these spikes mathematically (using Fourier Analysis if you are interested) you will find that they correspond to a lagging power factor of 0.7. (Power Factor is the ratio of Real Power over Apparant Power and is a number between 0 and 1 and defined as either leading or lagging). It's just a trick of the maths.

Now power factor does a crazy thing to AC power supplies, including UPS, in that the lower the power factor the less "real" or "true" power you are consuming. The UPS does not really have to supply the difference in power - it is only apparent (I know this sounds crazy but its true). Real power is Watts and this is why a UPS rated at 1000VA (VA is Apparent power) can only deliver 700W (apart from modern high power factor UPS), which is fine for power supplies with a standard input rectifier.

Utility companies dislike power factor. It can cause your electricity meter to work backwards, it puts a strain on the grid, it causes distortion of the voltage waveform and for these reasons, modern legislation is demanding that devices need to have the power factor corrected. In the case of PC power supplies, this means raising it from 0.7 to a number approaching 1.0.

UPS companies however are not quick to catch up. There's a lot of specmanship out there and VA is still the preferred rating. I hear DELL are bringing out a new series of UPS rated in Watts, so hats off to them. However, in reality it doesn't make any difference. If the data sheet doesn't tell you the output factor, then assume it's 0.7 (or for low cost machines perhaps 0.6) and multiply this by the UPS VA rating and you'll get a Watts rating that is workable.

Sorry, but it's nothing to do with efficiency.

If you need help choosing a UPS for your application check out our website: http://www.powerinspired.com under the Help-Guide section.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 10-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #40
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Wink Oh boy this is a long one...

Quote:
Before power factor correction, PC power supplies use what is known as a rectifier - a device that converts AC power into DC.
With or without PFC rectifiers are used to convert AC to DC, if there is another method, please link, because they deserve the Noble Prize in Physics!

The rest of that paragraph is trying to explain resistive vs reactive loads & the fact that with AC current lags behind voltage. It would be hard to add additional mud to this explanation.

PFC is required by law in the EU.

All modern PSU's have Active Power Factor Correction, it is required for 80PLUS certification.

VA (Volt/Amp) is apparent power, not real power, however the power company must produce to the apparent power level, which is inefficient & wasteful.

All Recommended UPS's have both their VA & Wattage Ratings clearly published.

Dave

Last edited by davidhammock200; 10-02-2009 at 06:35 AM.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply