EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #41
PhilBart
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Best UPS for Computer Large PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
I currently have 7 systems that run Folding@Home 24/7 and use three UPS to provide stable power and protection from power outages and surges.

APC SmartUPS 1500 ( SUA1500 ) #1 -- 1440va, 980w -- 2 systems attached with 58% load and 9 minutes run time.
-- System 1 = Shuttle SX48P2E with E8500@3.16GHz + 9800GTX+
-- System 2 = Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R with Thermaltake 700w PSU - Q6600 G0 @ 3.0 GHz + GTX 295
04/11/2009
I see that you are using APC SmartUPS 1500 (SUA1500) UPS's.

I am trying to select a UPS for a Dell XPS630i which uses a 750 watt PSU. I estimate my UPS load to be 568 watts maximum including loads external to the computer. Would you please comment on the suitability of the following UPS units to support my computer?

1. APC SMT1500 Smart-UPS 1500VA LCD 120V.

2. APC BR1500 Back-UPS RS 1500VA.

PhilBart
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #42
jevans64
The Folding Pylon

I would go with either the SMT1500 or maybe even an older SUM1500XL. The RS series is really only meant for relatively low-power home computer systems where stability under backup power isn't really necessary. These use simulated sine wave during backup which can play havoc with newer Active PFC power supplies. The Smart-UPS line use true sine wave and generally have a larger capacity battery.

You'll probably get 3-4 minutes of run time with your 568 watt load vs 14 minutes or so with the SMT1500.

The SMT1500 is just a newer version of the SUA1500 that has an LCD. I have a CyberPower with an LCD and that is nice to be able to access usage data without loading up software. You can save a few bucks by using one of the links in this thread to find a refurbished SUA1500 or SUM1500XL. FYI. BOTH of my SUA1500's I bought for around $250 a piece as refurbished units and have had no problems with them beyond replacing the batteries every 2 years or so.

The reason I mentioned the SUM1500XL as an alternative is because it is expandable. You can increase run time by adding additional battery packs. The batteries will run about $110 a piece though.

Last edited by jevans64; 01-14-2010 at 03:04 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 01-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #43
BigO
Bored At Work

Ok guys i have to older back-ups Pro 650's that need new batteries and don't want to buy them from APC if i don't have to since they charge a bit more from them there.

The batteries i have are RBC4's and i have two units so i need to batteries.

I found two online spots that seem to be good but wanted some opinion's:
Battery Wholesale.com $30.20 each plus 15.95 shipping
RefurbUPS.com $31.99 each plus $7.01 shipping
United States  Offline
Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #44
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Are they rerubs, or new?
United States  Offline
Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #45
BigO
Bored At Work

They are listed as new batteries. I have the units already and i bought then as refurbished but they are in good shape.
United States  Offline
Old 01-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #46
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

So long as they work properly, that's all that matters.
United States  Offline
Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #47
jevans64
The Folding Pylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Ok guys i have to older back-ups Pro 650's that need new batteries and don't want to buy them from APC if i don't have to since they charge a bit more from them there.

The batteries i have are RBC4's and i have two units so i need to batteries.

I found two online spots that seem to be good but wanted some opinion's:
Battery Wholesale.com $30.20 each plus 15.95 shipping
RefurbUPS.com $31.99 each plus $7.01 shipping
I purchase my UPS batteries from American Battery Co. They are a bit more expensive but they come with a 2-year warranty instead of the standard 1-year. I had one conk out after 18 months and they ship you out a replacement and put a return shipping label in the new one so you don't have to pay to return the defective one.

http://www.americanbatterycompany.co.../apc/rbc4.html

Your local Batteries Plus also carry batteries for your UPS if you ever get into a pinch.
United States  Offline
Old 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #48
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Thanks for the heads up on that site. My UPS unit APC RS 1200 is only 6 moths old, but I use the software included to check the battery health.
United States  Offline
Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #49
sheol79
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Lightbulb comments/suggestions on which ups to choose?

hello everyone,

this is my first post so please bear with me. i've been reading this guide for a while now, and decided to stop putting the idea off and actually get a ups for my rig. i'm starting to feel uncomfortable about the idea of my rig (with all the hdd's i got) getting fried or dying on me because of power related problems.

so considering the tips in this guide i looked around and after a lot of thought came down to two candidates. the first one is a used APC Smart UPS 3000 (2700W/3000VA) - not refurbished, used (very good condition, at least that's what the seller said). and it's on auction ending in 5 days. the second is a brand new Eaton Powerware 5110 900W/1500VA UPS. these two are the best my budget can afford.

i would appreciate some advice on which i should go with. by the way i have a thermaltake 1200W psu, but the most i saw my power meter go up to is 400W. and that was just once. i did some research, both do have boost/trim avr and the more standard ups features.

the apc ups is used, obviously no connected equipment guarantee. i still have to find out how old it is but the seller did say the the unit has got no problems and the battery/ies are in very good condition. it's the old model (the white tower ones with serial com port) so no phone/lan protection. yet it has the juice to handle my rig and then some. also, the manual stated: "The UPS detects line voltage distortions such as spikes, notches, dips, and swells, as well as distortions caused by operation with inexpensive fuel-powered generators. By default, the UPS reacts to distortions by transferring to on-battery operation to protect the loads. Where power quality is poor, the UPS may frequently transfer to on-battery operation. If the loads can operate normally under such conditions, battery capacity and service life may be conserved by reducing the sensitivity of the UPS."...is this at all bad? also, the manual stated battery output is "low-distortion sine". is that the same as simulated/stepped sine?

on the other hand, the eaton powerware ups is new, has connected equipment guarantee, and has phone/lan protection as well. i can't find any information regarding the output wave type, i just assume it's simulated/stepped sine. i'm just a bit worried it can't handle my rig if for some far-fetched reason, the psu draws max power. one thing that caught my attention though in the brochure was: "Unlike typical line-interactive systems, the Powerware 5110 UPS does not switch back and forth to battery power to accomplish this voltage regulation - which would shorten battery life and increase battery replacement costs. As a result, battery power is conserved for when you really need it."...

and so this is my dilemma. i would appreciate any comments/suggestions from you guys. thanks in advance!
Australia  Offline
Old 02-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #50
jevans64
The Folding Pylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheol79 View Post

so considering the tips in this guide i looked around and after a lot of thought came down to two candidates. the first one is a used APC Smart UPS 3000 (2700W/3000VA) - not refurbished, used (very good condition, at least that's what the seller said). and it's on auction ending in 5 days. the second is a brand new Eaton Powerware 5110 900W/1500VA UPS. these two are the best my budget can afford.
If the rig with the 1200w PSU is the only rig you plan on hooking to it, then a 2700w UPS is major over-kill. Those often have to have special power requirements and generally won't be compatible with normal household AC outlets. If I'm not mistaken that APC requires 30 Amp outlets, so you'll need to upgrade the wiring on the circuit, the circuit breaker, and the receptacle.

If run-time is all you want, then I would suggest an "XL" model that allows you to add additional battery packs.

As far as determining the age of a used UPS, for APC, the first two NUMBERS in the serial number indicate year of manufacture. There is another smaller sticker on the top of the unit that will give you the week but most of the time those are removed.

All you have to do is either look at the serial number or ask the seller for the first 4 digits ( two alpha and two numeric ) of the serial number.
United States  Offline
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #51
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Battery health would be another concern. If the battery needs to replaced, that will be an additional expense. I'd rather buy new or reconditioned. But, a 2700 watt ups is overkill. In the US, I think max wattage coming from the outlet is @ 1500 watts. Not sure about Australia. Use a psu calculator to determine, your needs, http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp . A 1200 watt psu is fine. You may not need that much power, but the head room, is always a good thing.
United States  Offline
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #52
sheol79
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

thanks for the responses!

jevans64;
i actually thought about the power draw of the ups today at work. i always thought it will just draw the same amount of power as its loads do, except when charging. silly me . all i'm after is enough time to properly shut down the rig during power outages. i do have 2 rigs, but the other one is less important. this rig i want to buy a ups for has a dozen hdd's, 500gb minimum. some of them are used for raid sets. the seller came back with answers to my questions, it's 2.5 years old. but since both you and mimart7 think it's an overkill, looks like the guy just lost a bidder .

mimart7;
the seller said about 80-85% battery charge left. anyway, so the apc is out of the question. actually it's just because the starting bid is A$300 (and up until now no one has put a bid in yet) that i considered it as an option. i guess my better judgment just went out of the window there . anyway, i did as you said (been using that power calculator since my 1st build), even if i had to add more 4 more hdd's and some other peripherals, my power requirement only comes up to ~540W.

and so, what do you guys think about the eaton powerware 5110 1500VA/900W? 900W would be enough if the loads are gonna be just my rig and a 24" lcd monitor, right? has anyone got any idea bout the quality/performance of this ups? around where i's staying it's just the eaton powerware or cyberpower ups' that are available. i'm not really sure about cyberpower, their models that are available only has boost avr, no trim. new apc ups' are out of the question, too.. they're far too expensive ...

thanks again for your inputs!
Australia  Offline
Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #53
jevans64
The Folding Pylon

Quote:
thanks for the responses!

and so, what do you guys think about the eaton powerware 5110 1500VA/900W? 900W would be enough if the loads are gonna be just my rig and a 24" lcd monitor, right? has anyone got any idea bout the quality/performance of this ups? around where i's staying it's just the eaton powerware or cyberpower ups' that are available. i'm not really sure about cyberpower, their models that are available only has boost avr, no trim. new apc ups' are out of the question, too.. they're far too expensive ...

thanks again for your inputs!
Actually, I have a CyberPower that covers the three PCs in my main room. They are about equal to APC as far as performance goes. Unfortunately, their quality control and build is not up to APC quality. I went through two before I got one that actually worked. The first time, I received a decidedly USED and defective unit which I had to return only to receive an older version with a known defect. CyberPower service was excellent and it only cost me time and effort to get a suitable replacement. I ordered the first one from a reseller on Amazon, so that wasn't CyberPower's fault.

I have this CyberPower UPS... PR2200LCDRTXL2U

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pro...LCDRTXL2U.html

It is the absolute max you can have on a 20 amp circuit. It runs 3 quad core machines all with GTX 280/285 video cards + 27" LCD and is at 61% capacity with 10.2 minutes of run-time. The replacement battery packs run about $250 though.
United States  Offline
Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #54
sheol79
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Actually, I have a CyberPower that covers the three PCs in my main room. They are about equal to APC as far as performance goes. Unfortunately, their quality control and build is not up to APC quality. I went through two before I got one that actually worked. The first time, I received a decidedly USED and defective unit which I had to return only to receive an older version with a known defect. CyberPower service was excellent and it only cost me time and effort to get a suitable replacement. I ordered the first one from a reseller on Amazon, so that wasn't CyberPower's fault.

I have this CyberPower UPS... PR2200LCDRTXL2U
unfortunately, they only have the GP units (the value ones) available:
http://www.cpsww.com.au/products/ups...00elcd_gp.htm#

i'm looking at the 2200va/1320w model. i've seen that unit you mentioned somewhere online and it costs a fortune (by my standard anyway ). used apc's with the right ratings are extremely rare, not to mention almost all are for auction. and i mean, heck i need to have a ups soon with this pseudo-storm season.

so right now looks like i'm dead-locked to the eaton powerware and cyberpower gp. which do you think is the better option: the slightly under-rated but with boost/trim avr eaton powerware; or the slightly over rated but with boost avr only cyberpower gp?

thanks for your inputs and patience so far!
Australia  Offline
Old 02-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #55
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

At this point,I'd go for the Eaton Powerware, that has boost & trim. The trim will be very helpful for when too much power come through your line, and the battery will intervene.
United States  Offline
Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #56
sheol79
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimart7 View Post
At this point,I'd go for the Eaton Powerware, that has boost & trim. The trim will be very helpful for when too much power come through your line, and the battery will intervene.
thanks for the input mimart7. i am also thinking that boost/trim avr is critical in ups'. i just have to be careful not to load anymore to my rig than what it has now . shame. i wish i had the cash to invest in a unit like the cyberpower ups jevans64 has...
Australia  Offline
Old 02-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #57
jevans64
The Folding Pylon

Quote:
thanks for the input mimart7. i am also thinking that boost/trim avr is critical in ups'. i just have to be careful not to load anymore to my rig than what it has now . shame. i wish i had the cash to invest in a unit like the cyberpower ups jevans64 has...
Yes. The CyberPower GP line is similar to the APC RS line. If you really want a CyberPower PR series, you can save a bit by dropping down to 1500va and get the non-expandable version. That is still going to be nearly triple the cost of a refurb APC Smart-UPS 1500.

The CyberPower I have IS nice. The LCD pops out and rotates 90 based on whether you place it horizontal or vertical. I went with it because the comparable APC was nearly $1300 US. The CyberPower was around $820 or so.

I'd still keep plugging away at eBay until you find a refurb APC unit. Just be aware that any >1500va SmartUPS in a WHITE case is going to be at least 5 or 6 years old.

I ordered my CyberPower from ProVantage. They do ship internationally but I have no idea what they charge.

The have the non-expandable version of my 2200va here... The product picture is a little off though -- the one lying down is the non-XL and the one standing up is the XL version. Look at the LCD screen.

http://www.provantage.com/cyberpower...u~7CYPR046.htm

Last edited by jevans64; 02-03-2010 at 10:46 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #58
sheol79
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
I ordered my CyberPower from ProVantage. They do ship internationally but I have no idea what they charge.

The have the non-expandable version of my 2200va here... The product picture is a little off though -- the one lying down is the non-XL and the one standing up is the XL version. Look at the LCD screen.

http://www.provantage.com/cyberpower-systems-pr2200lcdrt2u~7CYPR046.htm
thanks jevans64,

checked out the site and looked at the 1500va version of the cyberpower pr series, price is alright. only thing is, shipping would cost me half the price of the ups itself. can't help it though, ups's are generally heavy . oh well. i'm thinking just save up for now and just pray my rig doesn't get fried until then.

thanks very much for all your help!
Australia  Offline
Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #59
jevans64
The Folding Pylon

Keep forgetting you are down under. ProVantage is not too far from where I am at and I think it was only $38 to ship mine.

CyberPower has something similar without the LCD.

http://www.provantage.com/cyberpower...u~7CYPR02T.htm

Looks like you would lose a bit of capacity and a couple of receptacles.
United States  Offline
Old 02-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #60
Bazman
BRB

I have a chance to get a deal on a APC BX1300LCD. Does anyone have any personal experience with this model?

I read a review on the egg where one guy complained that it didn't play well with his overclock. I just want it for shutdown.
Canada  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply