EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #121
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth View Post
Wow, I just discovered this thread! I think I'll be needing a nice battery back-up/power surge/blackout protector since I'll be running dual Corsair HX1000 PSUs on a high-end gaming "multiplex". Thanks!
APC Smart-UPS 2200VA USB & Serial 120V (1980W) or APC Smart-UPS 3000VA LCD 120V (2700W).

In either case you will need an electrician to run dedicated circuits.

These are much less expensive if purchased as "refurbs" with warranty and new batteries.

Best Wishes,
Dave
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #122
UrbanSmooth
Triple Monitor Gamer

Thanks again, Dave!
United States  Offline
Old 06-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #123
arshapro
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Hello All,

I think adding another circuit would be a great solution. However, adding another circuit is not really an option because I've got a very nice older woman as a landlord who I don't want to freak out(I know another circuit is not a big deal - in fact is an improvement to her house, but you know old women.) The air conditioner is actually in another room but still on the same circuit as my computer room!

So, I decided to buy both the APC SMART-UPS RT 1500VA 120V and the Tripp Lite SU1500XL and see which one sounded better in person as they have essentially the same noise ratings on their data sheets.

Boy am I happy I did. I received the Tripp Lite a few days ago and plugged it in and it sounds like the first high end computer I built before I realized that you had to consider noise levels. That thing is loud. I assumed that the APC would be around as loud but maybe would have a different sound quality(some noises are easier on the ears than others even at the same volume e.g. Jim Carry making the most annoying noise in the world with the volume turned down vs a cute girl having a conversation.)

The APC unit arrived today and man - SO much quieter. If the Tripp Lite is actually 45 then the APC unit must be a 15. But I think the Tripp Lite might actually be closer to a 55 and the APC a 25. However, the tone of the APC unit is not as neutral as the Tripp Lite. The Tripp Lite makes a solid medium pitch fan noise. The APC unit makes a higher, slightly clicky noise. Because the APC is so much quieter I think I will stick with that unit and return the tripp lite. However, I am going to try out the APC for a few days to make sure. My system with a core i7 860, 8 gigs of ram, nvidia quadro fx 4800, asus p7p55d evo at stock speeds with a Dell 3007wfp and a dell 2001fp all plugged into the Tripplite pulls 280 watts at idle and I've seen it go up to 320 while rendering. I assume if I played any games it might go up to 400 or maybe 500 at the most. I don't know. So, the APC should be totally fine with its 1050 watt rating even if I buy another 30 inch monitor.

Thanks for your input and good luck!

-Alex
United States  Offline
Old 06-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #124
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Thumbs up

I am glad that the APC is working well for you.

Good Luck,
Dave
United States  Offline
Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #125
@dmin
Crash and Burn

Hey Dave,

Do you need True sine wave UPS's if the power supply has Acitve PFC?

Thanks... right now I am using a apc rs 900. its cheap and okay...
United States  Offline
Old 07-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #126
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

Actually I am using two ACPs from the same line that you are, I love this UPS and will say this, it is outside of custom builts the quietest non rack mount unit I have worked with at this rating. You chose wisely, I work with redundant systems all of the time in the industry and I can safely say this is the way to go price to performance and noise.
United States  Offline
Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #127
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Thumbs up Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORL View Post
Actually I am using two ACPs from the same line that you are, I love this UPS and will say this, it is outside of custom builts the quietest non rack mount unit I have worked with at this rating. You chose wisely, I work with redundant systems all of the time in the industry and I can safely say this is the way to go price to performance and noise.
Exactly which APC UPS are you you using?

Did you buy it new? How much $$$ did you invest in it?

How old is it?

If you have ever changed the battery(s), how long did the originals last?

How much $$$ were the replacements?

Please share your story, because I am having a hard time convincing EOCF members of the importance of UPS's.

More stability at any speed, higher OC'es, cooler, quieter system operation, fewer mysterious parts deaths, the obvious, etc, etc, etc...

Best Wishes,
Dave
United States  Offline
Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #128
RealityRush
Cause OC isn't a show

Quote:
Originally Posted by @dmin View Post
Hey Dave,

Do you need True sine wave UPS's if the power supply has Acitve PFC?

Thanks... right now I am using a apc rs 900. its cheap and okay...
Active PFC has more to do with apparent/true power ratings of equipment, and correcting them so the ratio is 1:1 (aka reactive power is 0, or as close as you can get), not that it matters in this case because UPS's have an intentionally low PF for some reason..... I guess cause manufacturers are too lazy to catch up to the active PFC trend.

Simulated sine waves are fine for a controlled ~5 minute shutdown. The simulated dirty wave is good enough to power the computer for a few minutes, but just slowly overheats it, as it is more of a stepped square wave than real a sine wave. A few minutes will not overheat your power supply enough to damage it though, that takes a little bit. True Sine Wave just means you can run your power supply on it for more than a few minutes without worrying about the circuitry overheating and getting damaged, not sure why you'd need something to run on a UPS for 10 minutes or more unless you're backing up some very important and volatile information.

Hope that helps!
Canada  Offline
Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #129
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

I myself run this array primarily for my file server and home network. Paired with ISP backup implimentations I can access my info while on the road at any time I need with no concern of failure outside of actual system failure on my part. Someone using a PC for prolonged work tasks requiring several hour threads ect could find great value in this.

On the consumer level I cannot agree with David any more. This is a great investment that can increase lifespan of your equipment as well as protect from early death due to power stability. As well as protect from back door threats such as your ethernet and modem connections which may enter your house unchecked.

As for the above post, generally speaking your power will be stable enough on the whole to not be concerned about anything more than that 5 minutes. With exception of electrical storms you wont recieve many "dirty power" spikes. Even so during an electrical storm the power is not consitantly dirty, it will come in and out. Meaning the same UPS will provide the needed protection without a general concern.
United States  Offline
Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #130
Packet
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

hi folks.
based on your excellent guide here, i just pulled the trigger on a rackmounted SUA1500 (couldnt get a non rackmounted rig in the price range I wanted)

thank you
Canada  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply