EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #21
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Thanks guys. I'd be doing another one if Neo would quit working so much and come out for a day. He has a 9600 Phenom that he'd like de-lidded. Even harder he works 2nd shift also.

I really don't think the heat hurts these cpu's much during the de-lidding process. The only thing that seems to melt is the solder. All of the rest of the cpu becomes a little discolored. Probably due to the heat being poured on. What hurts these cpu's most is being on 1.6v and running. That's what bakes them internally. Cooking from the inside out. I also find it amazing that the Silicone under the solder is so tough. Obviously having a way higher melting point, the solder seems to penetrate it somewhat. You can see that in the colors of the top of it after I had lapped it.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #22
Orac
Master Shifu sees you

hmm, i wonder if this will drop my temps enough for 4ghz. i am at 1.55v-core with 52 full load
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #23
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orac View Post
hmm, i wonder if this will drop my temps enough for 4ghz. i am at 1.55v-core with 52 full load
I can't tell you that it will. I was already hitting 4ghz before I removed the IHS plate. But the lower the temps the more stability you should get with your current OC. It seems as if 4.1ghz is about the max I can get. Unless I go chilled. A few people have gotten 4.4ghz with an air conditioner, So we know colder is better.
United States  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #24
Orac
Master Shifu sees you

yeh cooler is always better, and more stable is always better.

i have a small blow tourch, a load of stanley blades and water cooling. i just gotta get some more thermal paste and some wet and dry for lapping. i currently cant get 3.9 stabe enough to validate let alone bench, and i have 1 stlightly unstable core at 3.8 (altho i run 3.8 all the time).

i think it might be time to do my first de-lidding. i have a 9850 to practice on
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #25
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

After doing 2, it get's easier after the first one. It took a while to think of a logical way to remove the IHS plate without having a high risk. The lift the plate up to separate it from the core and blow on it to solidify the Solder on the IHS plate, made for a practically mess free de-lidding. When the solder is in liquid form, it can be tricky. Cutting too deep when breaking the glue bond is the next hardest thing to do. Applying heat was actually really easy. Just wave it around like a magic wand.
United States  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #26
Orac
Master Shifu sees you

magic wond - are you harry potter??? lol
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #27
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Quote:
magic wond - are you harry potter??? lol
Harry is cool. We have all the movies
United States  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #28
Orac
Master Shifu sees you

i dont have any of them, i find the films quite boring really, and i hate reading. so hary pooter will remain a strange cult to me
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #29
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Quote:
i dont have any of them, i find the films quite boring really, and i hate reading. so hary pooter will remain a strange cult to me
Well you know something about him. You brought up Harry Potter. I just waved a flame around like a magic wand. As soon as the solder melted, the blades moved. That's when it's time to split the IHS from the cpu. Give it a try Orac.
United States  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #30
Neox69
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
Thanks guys. I'd be doing another one if Neo would quit working so much and come out for a day. He has a 9600 Phenom that he'd like de-lidded. Even harder he works 2nd shift also.

I really don't think the heat hurts these cpu's much during the de-lidding process. The only thing that seems to melt is the solder. All of the rest of the cpu becomes a little discolored. Probably due to the heat being poured on. What hurts these cpu's most is being on 1.6v and running. That's what bakes them internally. Cooking from the inside out. I also find it amazing that the Silicone under the solder is so tough. Obviously having a way higher melting point, the solder seems to penetrate it somewhat. You can see that in the colors of the top of it after I had lapped it.
I am trying my friend....
United States  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #31
Sparkey247
Crazy Bones

and this has not been sticky'd yet why?
United States  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #32
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neox69 View Post
I am trying my friend....
I know Neo. I'm rather busy myself. It's the holiday season I'll still be in Chicago land in the summer time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkey247 View Post
and this has not been sticky'd yet why?
Cause I didn't video tape it maybe? I should have done that... Maybe next time.
United States  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #33
Orac
Master Shifu sees you

2 of my brother and my mother a missive potter fans, i didnt have and choice to know about him or not
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 02:54 AM   #34
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Haha!!

So any how, still running a burn in at 3ghz. All temps are under 40c.

The AMD Power Monitor is the only App in the Pic displaying the actual voltage I am using. Same goes for AMD Over Drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3ghzburninUnder40c.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	141856  
United States  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #35
OptyTrooper
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Nice work! Sticky,sticky.

BTW Price really isn't a factor per-say as too which are soldered and which are not. AMD has been doing this with it's higher TDP models (89w and up Windsors such as the 6000+. 1200/2200 series Opterons [non-HE], Phenom,Phenom II's and so forth) for a while now. Though the lower TDP i.e. Brisbanes,Athlon II's etc. do often cost less.

Again, well done ShrimpBrime!

Last edited by OptyTrooper; 12-06-2009 at 04:02 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #36
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

AH. I didn't know they did that with the 6000+'s. Never tried to de-lid one. Again I learned something new!

I think the idea to solder them is great actually. Even though it makes it harder for us to de-cap them, it probably transfers heat a lot better than TIM. Thanks OptyTrooper.
United States  Offline
Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #37
thx113
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Would a propane or butane torch work? I'm totally doing this to my kuma 7550...
United States  Offline
Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #38
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx113 View Post
Would a propane or butane torch work? I'm totally doing this to my kuma 7550...
With the large screw on bottle? That maybe too much heat. With the mini torch I got here, It is small and concentrated but adjustable at the same time. I've sweat pipes and that flame is just to large all together. But don't trust a torch lighter. Plastic melts and you'll need a minute or two to bring the heat up. I applied heat to the center and a little at a time. lift the flame every few seconds.

Look for a soldering torch. That's what you need. Hobby stores or Tool dealers. Sears maybe.

The torch is on the left. Butane. click the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02207.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	142206  
United States  Offline
Old 12-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #39
thx113
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
With the large screw on bottle? That maybe too much heat. With the mini torch I got here, It is small and concentrated but adjustable at the same time. I've sweat pipes and that flame is just to large all together. But don't trust a torch lighter. Plastic melts and you'll need a minute or two to bring the heat up. I applied heat to the center and a little at a time. lift the flame every few seconds.

Look for a soldering torch. That's what you need. Hobby stores or Tool dealers. Sears maybe.

The torch is on the left. Butane. click the pic.
Thanks for saving me from my own stupidity
United States  Offline
Old 12-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #40
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx113 View Post
Thanks for saving me from my own stupidity
Your Not stupid at all. It was actually smart of you to ask .
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply