EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Email & Instant Messengers

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
homerandabe6
Budget Overclocks

I think someone is spoofing my email and using it for spam

I have looked up this issue and havent found a solution that doesnt involve changing my email address. I have had this account for 8 years and use it as my main so changing it would require a lot of work.

This only started recently (a month or so) and i thought maybe i had a malware program or something running on my pc that caused this issue. i have been getting somewhere around 10 emails a day from mailerdaemon saying that my email could not be delivered to so and so email account. when i see what the email was it is always some sort of ******ed spam message with some attachments that i dont care to open. its good that these are not going to the accounts of my associates but i still dont want my email linked to spamming or possible virus spreading.

i have tried reporting these emails as spam but since they are just returned email from the mailerdaemon i havent had much luck. also i dont want legit undeliverable emails to go to my spam folder. Any ideas? thanks.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
good64us
Running System Stock

What kind of email system are you using?

Examine all the email headers and see if they all originate from the same source. i.e. hxxp://www.mailerdeamon@whatevercomany.com.org.net , then contact their ISP either via phone or their abuse.net email system.

Mailerdeamon acts as a autoresponse server (software program) i.e. If you send your buddy an email and that buddies emailbox is full, then you'll get an email from your buddies email auto response server "mailerdeamon" saying that the email could not be delivered.

Note: There could be a million and one answers to that question without knowing the originator of those emails

Worst case scenario...format your PC and get a new email account

Last edited by good64us; 12-04-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Australia  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
Mind_Reader7
Cpt. Awesome

Format your PC and change your password. My brother had it happen to him, because his an idiot.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
homerandabe6
Budget Overclocks

i actually just reformatted about a week ago but im still getting them. ill try changing the password
United States  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

This happens all the time and there is very little you can do about it.It will end shortly as they move on to spoofing someone else's addy.Change your password just to be on the safe side but I bet it is just an auto generated address that just happened to be yours.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
Mind_Reader7
Cpt. Awesome

What happens is, the people get your email&password, via a virus/keylogger. Format/change password, problem solved. I've had a few drinks, sorry if that's not thorough enough.

Spellcheck ftw.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Yep, format and change password. Also change security questions.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

If someone had already hacked his account they probably would have changed the password already.Also if they were using his real account to send out spam his ISP would have shut it down or notified him of the problem.Thousands of e-mails from the same address don't go unnoticed these days.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmcmillan View Post
If someone had already hacked his account they probably would have changed the password already.Also if they were using his real account to send out spam his ISP would have shut it down or notified him of the problem.Thousands of e-mails from the same address don't go unnoticed these days.
Not necessarily hacked, but a bot will generally not change the password.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
Bazman
BRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind_Reader7 View Post
Format your PC and change your password. My brother had it happen to him, because his an idiot.
, ya sounds like you've had a few! LOL

I've had a few nights like you're having here right now. In the morning you're going to go through all your posts hoping you didn't sound like a tool!

It's all good.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
Not necessarily hacked, but a bot will generally not change the password.
They generally don't use your real account either they auto generate an address to spoof and then use that so it takes a few before they are shut down.They are changed frequently it doesn't take long to send out thousands of spam e-mail.I can't say definitely nothing has happened to his real account but it's not the way it works usually.It's less time involved to spoof then use a real account.
Canada  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply