EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
Mindwarp
I hate bronies!

How does a faster DNS response make your internet any faster? You're still using the same ISP and it's bandwidth.
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #22
n00b4li7i0u5
Android Fanboi/Dev

Honestly from what I've seen it's only a matter of a few ms for loading pages.
United States  Offline
Old 03-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #23
ANTC
mmmmkkkkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarp View Post
How does a faster DNS response make your internet any faster? You're still using the same ISP and it's bandwidth.
So your saying taking a longer route in a sports car is better then taking a more direct route in a mini van?
United States  Offline
Old 03-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
Mindwarp
I hate bronies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTC View Post
So your saying taking a longer route in a sports car is better then taking a more direct route in a mini van?
No, what I'm asking is how does changing your DNS server make your mini-van into a sports car.

All the DNS server is doing is changing a URL into an IP address. It won't help you download files any faster.
Canada  Offline
Old 03-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #25
Panda_Lover
Overclocker

If it doesn't improve download speeds then I'd rather take the sports car
China  Offline
Old 03-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #26
aka120
EvrBeenSnakeBittenB4?

Hey ANTC,
I tried the namebench benchmark, and it return a result of some dns server being 7% faster than my current one. I changed my settings to use the preferred dns servers that namebench gave me... and I must say it does work.

While not a huge difference by any means... I did notice that all of my usual sites i go to are loading much more responsively. Even newegg lagged on me, and changing the preferred dns servers seems to have made it alot less laggy.

Thanks I appreciate the time and effort you put into this!
United States  Offline
Old 03-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #27
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

The speeds of ISPs are to a point now where surfing is becoming about responsiveness. The quicker responding DNS in turn will allow you to browse faster, starting the downloads faster on the same speed network means it will finish before the other, so on and so on. The point of this idea is to maximize your connection for the very same reason you or I overclock. As far as I am concerned this is a very nice find.

@the OP, Spend some time writing a full guide and suggestions for this and I am sure many people will find it very usefull. If you need any help with terminologies and general info as to why I will help you. ISPs are my business.
United States  Offline
Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #28
earl
Always learning

Quote:
Ever wanted faster internet for free? Here’s the REAL solution using this free program from Google Inc. It searches for the best DNS severs in your area and gives you there IP address. With this information you can put them into your TCP/IP configurations for the best connection to where ever your connecting to. This will ultimately eliminate tons of hops from your connection to whatever server your trying to reach.

To test theory of it I tried it on my machine, I ran a speed test from SpeedTest.net to connect to a Server of theirs in NYC, my results were pretty poor. I also ran this test at peak hours, since the ISP I use is cable my connection is shared. So I had the results of an download speed of 1.55 Mpb per second, the upload speed of 2.05 and the ping of 26ms. Now I ran Namebench, Used the best DNS servers and reconfigured my TCP/IP settings to direct it to those servers. I set the top two hits for the best servers in my area to my DNS servers as the primary(# 1 Hit) and alternate(#2 Hit). Ran the speed test again from the same site hitting the same server. The results were download speed of 2.71, upload speed of 2.07 and a ping of 23ms. Now obviously this isn’t a HUGE increase but clearly a lot faster and I’m sure over time you’ll see better results. You can try it out here http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
Wouldn't a better way to document your theory be to run a tracert to a specific site using different DNS servers to clearly show the routing changes, instead of relying on speed test sites which are notoriously unreliable?

(edited to add)
Once you've done that, then repeat using different websites to show that the same "faster" DNS server always picks the shortest route to those sites too?

Last edited by earl; 03-26-2010 at 09:56 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 03-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #29
ANTC
mmmmkkkkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORL View Post

@the OP, Spend some time writing a full guide and suggestions for this and I am sure many people will find it very usefull. If you need any help with terminologies and general info as to why I will help you. ISPs are my business.
I know most terminologies as I am in a field right now, more targeted to security aspect. I do have my A+ which i got in Junior year of high school, looking to expend into Cisco and hopefully get my CCNA, and CCNA security. I wrote this for a blog entry which I have another thread on so I dont spend too much time on this between 3 jobs and college so.
Glad you liked this. Also I wanted this to be explained in a way where you don't need an extensive background in networking to get this, throwing big words around would of scared people off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl View Post
Wouldn't a better way to document your theory be to run a tracert to a specific site using different DNS servers to clearly show the routing changes, instead of relying on speed test sites which are notoriously unreliable?

(edited to add)
Once you've done that, then repeat using different websites to show that the same "faster" DNS server always picks the shortest route to those sites too?
Defiantly I tried making this user friendly also, but doing a trace route to your destination is also a great way of finding the shortest route. You are correct doing the speed test is unreliable as you can't control how many people are hitting that server at that particular time which could in fact effect your results appose to the trace route you'll be given the hops.
What I'd like to ask you to do, is post your results you've done with this method over trace route on my blog if you'd like. This would be greatly appreciated. TheFreeBay.blog.com
United States  Offline
Old 03-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #30
OldMold
Overclocked

I ran the test and this is what I got.

Primary Server: 2001:470:20::2 Hurricane Electric IPv6
Secondary Server: 192.168.2.1 Internal 192-168-1
Tertiary Server: 208.67.222.222 OpenDNS-2

So going by this, I will need to config IPv6 instead of IPv4?
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #31
earl
Always learning

Quote:
I know most terminologies as I am in a field right now, more targeted to security aspect. I do have my A+ which i got in Junior year of high school, looking to expend into Cisco and hopefully get my CCNA, and CCNA security. I wrote this for a blog entry which I have another thread on so I dont spend too much time on this between 3 jobs and college so.
Glad you liked this. Also I wanted this to be explained in a way where you don't need an extensive background in networking to get this, throwing big words around would of scared people off.

Defiantly I tried making this user friendly also, but doing a trace route to your destination is also a great way of finding the shortest route. You are correct doing the speed test is unreliable as you can't control how many people are hitting that server at that particular time which could in fact effect your results appose to the trace route you'll be given the hops.
What I'd like to ask you to do, is post your results you've done with this method over trace route on my blog if you'd like. This would be greatly appreciated. TheFreeBay.blog.com
Thanks for the offer, but to be completely candid, Since this is your essential guide, I was hoping you'd take the time to try and prove your assertions and I gave you an easy way to do so.
Quote:
Ever wanted faster internet for free? Here’s the REAL solution using this free program from Google Inc. It searches for the best DNS severs in your area and gives you there IP address. With this information you can put them into your TCP/IP configurations for the best connection to where ever your connecting to. This will ultimately eliminate tons of hops from your connection to whatever server your trying to reach.
I believe that you are sincerely trying to help help people with this guide but that you've come to a mistaken conclusion. Yes, that program from Google (as well as many others) can help you find the fastest DNS server. That however is where it ends. Changing DNS servers has no effect on your routing, nor on your speed/bandwidth.

A reasonable analogy of the job of a DNS server is like when you call information, give them a name and they give you a phone number. Some information services may be able to look up that number faster than others, but once they give you the phone number and you dial it, the route that call takes is up to the phone company.

It's the same with DNS servers, you type in a website name, a request goes to a DNS server that in turn translates that name into an IP address and sends that information back to you. Once that has happened its job is done. It's up to your ISP, and those in control of the routers, at that point to determine the "best" route used to get there.

I'm not saying routing is completely static, but I do contend that changing DNS servers will have no effect on routing, only the speed of which a name is translated into an IP address.

If you had just stopped at picking the fastest DNS server that'd be cool, but since you went on to specifically claim best routing, reduction in the number of hops and such, I would like you provide some real evidence of your claims since, as I explained above, it's not my understanding of how things work.
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #32
ANTC
mmmmkkkkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl View Post
Thanks for the offer, but to be completely candid, Since this is your essential guide, I was hoping you'd take the time to try and prove your assertions and I gave you an easy way to do so. I believe that you are sincerely trying to help help people with this guide but that you've come to a mistaken conclusion. Yes, that program from Google (as well as many others) can help you find the fastest DNS server. That however is where it ends. Changing DNS servers has no effect on your routing, nor on your speed/bandwidth.

A reasonable analogy of the job of a DNS server is like when you call information, give them a name and they give you a phone number. Some information services may be able to look up that number faster than others, but once they give you the phone number and you dial it, the route that call takes is up to the phone company.

It's the same with DNS servers, you type in a website name, a request goes to a DNS server that in turn translates that name into an IP address and sends that information back to you. Once that has happened its job is done. It's up to your ISP, and those in control of the routers, at that point to determine the "best" route used to get there.

I'm not saying routing is completely static, but I do contend that changing DNS servers will have no effect on routing, only the speed of which a name is translated into an IP address.

If you had just stopped at picking the fastest DNS server that'd be cool, but since you went on to specifically claim best routing, reduction in the number of hops and such, I would like you provide some real evidence of your claims since, as I explained above, it's not my understanding of how things work.
your looking way to much into this, man.
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #33
LUZR4LIFE
LUZR of the WORLD

Mine said 68% Faster. I see a difference in page loading.

Last edited by LUZR4LIFE; 03-29-2010 at 08:42 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #34
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

There may be some misinterpretation of this thread. As was stated this really will not help your true download speeds per say. But what it does do is help the responsiveness of your browsing. Obviously the faster your request is processed and returned to your own PC for direction, the faster your computer can then open the connection to the desired location.

Things to consider/understand about your total alloted bandwidth are as follows...

1: Its controlled externally, meaning you cannot increase it by settings you change on your part.

2: You can only change settings as to how your PC requests data to in turn get a faster response and initialization.

3: You can change the way your PC transmits/requests block sizes in turn this may grant a slight gain of performance depending on your ISP, but small. Think of it as memory timings.
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #35
untrueparado
n00b

you guys should just cache the dns. get google chrome or some software that does it. it loads webpages quite a bit faster just by saving the half a second trying to figure out where eocf.com's ip address is and puts it immediately to work.

dns does not change your download speed at all, but it does load your webpages a lot faster.
take this website for example. if i load this page, i would have www.extremeoverclocking.com to look up. but you forgot all those ads on this website, and many of them use more than one referral. like adsense.google.com - > clickrevenue ->newegg.com in order to show one ad. if you can shave even a third of a second in the dns query time, you already saved 1s off you loading time. imagine a website with more ads, plugins, graphics, etc? like newyorktimes.com for example?
United States  Offline
Old 03-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #36
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

Mine is 216% faster but Im not sure if I did it right in windows 7. On the general window, do I need to put anything. Also in the alternate config window I put the settings. Is this right or am I FUBAR.

Attached are the screen shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Picture (1)c.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	146459   Click image for larger version

Name:	general.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	146460   Click image for larger version

Name:	configurec.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	146461  

Last edited by prudhomb; 03-30-2010 at 05:48 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 03-30-2010, 06:48 AM   #37
ANTC
mmmmkkkkkkkk

Just to make this clear, NONE of my posts said it would increase your d/l speed
United States  Offline
Old 03-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #38
ChocoTaco
生活,笑与爱

When it comes to networking I am a idiot, I cannot get this to run for the life of me. I only get the following message

Quote:
Your router or internet service provider appears to be intercepting and redirecting all outgoing DNS request. This means you cannot benchmark or utilize alternate DNS servers. Please adjust your router configuration or file a support request with your ISP
I have tried using my ISP's ip, my routers etc. beyond that I don't know enough about this stuff to figure it out lol.
United States  Offline
Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #39
genocide112
Running System Stock

With Virgin Media providing a fibre line which manages to keep my download rate at 20Mb/s (2.5MB/s) is it likely to give me any benefits? (my maximum bandwidth according to my package is 20Mb)
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 03-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #40
untrueparado
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by genocide112 View Post
With Virgin Media providing a fibre line which manages to keep my download rate at 20Mb/s (2.5MB/s) is it likely to give me any benefits? (my maximum bandwidth according to my package is 20Mb)
yes, if you do a lot of websurfing, it will improve your loading speeds significantly. but you wont download any faster.

also, its better to set it up in your router on the basic setup page. that way, all the devices on your lan can benefit from opendns.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply