EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #61
SCOLANATOR
Kooler King

I done this on my university internet and look what happened LOL!

Turns out my uni simultaneously runs two networks, one as a backup so I just moved to the backup network and avoid all the traffic, massively improved my ping.
~scol
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #62
SlayVus
Don't eat the cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
When Firefox decided to upgrade to 3.5 way back whenever, the new version included DNS prefetching. At the time I didn't know what was going on, but traced it down to only happening in Firefox.. Pages would refuse to load and I had to hit refresh several times, or the page would only partially load... It was driving me nuts!

I found This Site with some remedies, and after I disabled DNS prefetching then everything worked perfect!

Yet another thing that sucks about the ATT / 2Wire routers.

After figuring out the problem, I simply set Google's 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 DNS servers in my network config, and re-enabled DNS prefetching in Firefox... Worked like a charm. There was really no noticeable performance difference either way.... *shrug*
This is nice to know that the problem is with AT&T and 2Wire routers. My landlord has internet services with them and I get page not found errors a LOT. I have to refresh multiple times or even disconnect and reconnect myself from the network to get my internet working again.

Though I am using Google Chrome, so I don't know if it uses DNS Prefetching.
United States  Offline
Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #63
Jason
Da' Boss
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayVus View Post
Though I am using Google Chrome, so I don't know if it uses DNS Prefetching.
Yes, Chrome does it too...

Easiest thing, even if you use DHCP you can manually set your DNS servers in your network configuration... Change them to Google's or OpenDNS and your problems should go away.
United States  Offline
Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #64
daredevil
Captain Teemo

I think for the most part this is probably a placebo effect boys and girls.
England  Offline
Old 09-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #65
Jason
Da' Boss
Administrator

I would agree too, especially since Windows caches DNS too locally... So even if you visit the same site several times a day, you aren't making any new requests.
United States  Offline
Old 09-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #66
ANTC
mmmmkkkkkkkk

This isnt suppose to be a miracle fix for slow net, it was a process I found. Thought it was it was cool said let me pass it along next time I wont pass along any new tips or tricks here as they are unwanted or will be bashed. I understand this wont work for everyone again this isnt a product im selling or pushing this is just a neat tip.
United States  Offline
Old 09-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #67
Panda_Lover
Overclocker

It's great to pass on tips, but maybe next time choose a more specific title because something like "faster Internet" is just too broad and people can just read whatever they want into that...i.e. faster download speeds!
China  Offline
Old 09-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #68
earl
Always learning

It wasn't the title that I responded too, it was the first post, namely this (bolded by me)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTC View Post
Ever wanted faster internet for free? Here’s the REAL solution using this free program from Google Inc. It searches for the best DNS severs in your area and gives you there IP address. With this information you can put them into your TCP/IP configurations for the best connection to where ever your connecting to. This will ultimately eliminate tons of hops from your connection to whatever server your trying to reach.
Those two sentences simply are not accurate.
A DNS server's job is simply name resolution.

There are even occasions that choosing a name server solely based on response speed can actually have a negative effective on ones internet experience.

For example, some CDN's (content delivery networks) such as Akami, use the geolocation of your DNS server to determine which of their servers to feed you content from.

Say you live in Miami and you pick a DNS server in Chicago, then you go to watch a youtube video, since that content is located in various places it looks and sees a DNS server located in Chicago and says, hey we have a CDN server in Chicago too so that would be the best one to use. When there may have in fact been a CDN with the content in Miami or Orlando that is much closer to you and would have actually been a better and faster choice.

As far as the test itself, I much prefer the DNS Benchmark utility from Steve Gibson at GRC.
http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

ANTC, I don't think you should stop posting tips and tricks just because this one didn't work out the way you thought it would.
United States  Offline
Old 10-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #69
bobl61
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Looks very promising...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-10-12_231528.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	152665  
United States  Offline
Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #70
cis2lok
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

about namebech

how to apply those settings?

i tried to apply it on my connection properties...

but it wont make me connect the internet..

pls reply.. tnx!
Philippines  Offline
Old 03-12-2011, 03:17 AM   #71
Perkomate
this is a custom titl

Your current primary DNS server is Fastest
good joke, i'm on about 1.8 megabits download, and a ping of 44 ms. That's with a server less than 50 k's from my house
Australia  Offline
Old 03-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #72
AdamV
Green Machine

DNS servers only convert names ie:www addresses into their respective ip address. Although a closer and faster DNS server may be able to do that very small and quick translation slightly faster, this doesn't improve your latency / bandwidth / or how fast the content on the web page loads. What's the big deal guys? Am i missing something?
Canada  Offline
Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #73
xdownsetx
Menior Sember

To be fair I did this on my linux install just a few moments ago and it solved an issue I've been having where going to any page takes around 5 seconds to connect to, then it would load fine. Jumping site to site was getting tiresome.
United States  Offline
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #74
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

lol.... I love Metrocast... And by love I mean hate. REALLY hate... ran this twice, onces got UltraDNS faster by 655%, second run 455%

Additional Comment:

changed the settings, it is snappier

Last edited by DarkFox; 03-14-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #75
Carozzeria
▲▼▲

My current ping is 540ms... I think it's about time I tried this. It's been about 15 minutes and the namebench is almost half done...
United States  Offline
Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #76
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

you ping for what? Most programs that measure ping have a constant connection or are going to an IP already making a DNS change not effective.
United States  Offline
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #77
Carozzeria
▲▼▲

Just pinging google.com. My internet was ****ed up last night. I reran the test this morning and the differences were not as severe. It comes out to about 155% better every time I run it. Pages are loading more consistently. With the other DNS I had hiccups.
United States  Offline
Old 03-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #78
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

if you notice, when you type Ping www.google.com, the very first thing it does is give you the IP address, for the pings, it is using the IP, so if I understand correctly, DNS would not effect that and you were having another issue with your internet, other then DNS lookup.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply