EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Guide: Win 7 SSD Performance Optimization [56K WARNING:Lots of Pictures]

OK, I've gone through this with a few different people and I figured it would be easier to make a guide than be pestered all the time. This is a guide of registry edits, options, and other tweaks to optimize the performance of Solid State Drives in Windows 7. ALL of these are optional but, have been personally tested (these are the options I use) to increase the performance and response of the OS and programs in Windows 7. These are the options I use NONE are required, WARNING:apply and use at your own risk.

Windows 7 SSD Performance Optimization Part 1:

This 2 part Guide will have 4 types of optimizations Install and standard options, registry edits, msconfig, services.msc. These are listed in a specific order to increase the speed of install, compatibility and the overall completion of this guide. The registry edits can be seriously harmful if not done correctly, please do not change anything if you don't know what you're doing outside of the recommendations in this guide.

1) Disable Drive-Indexing:
  • Next go into My Computer right click your SSD and select properties(usually C: if the OS is installed on it).
  • Un-check the box marked "Allow files to have contents indexed in addition to file properties".
  • If it asks for administrative permissions allow it to do so.
  • A popup will appear stating an error applying attributes has occured, this is normal, select ignore all and it will continue.
  • This process will take about 2 minutes.

2) Disable Disk Defragment Schedule

• After finishing indexing, in the same properties of the SSD, select the tools tab.
  • Select the box Defragment Now
  • Select the box Defragment Schedule
  • Un-check the "Run on a Schedule Box"

3) Turn Off Windows Write-Cache Buffer Flushing

• Right Click My Computer and select properties
  • Select Device Manager
  • Select Disk Drives
  • Right click the SSD (for me OCZ Vertex-Turbo) select properties
  • Under the performance tab check the box "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on this device"

4) Turn Off Page-Filing

WARNING: This is NOT recommended for those with less than 6 Gbs of ram. It can be done with less but, if you disable it and find programs crashing often re-enable it.

• Right click my computer select properties
  • Select advanced system settings
  • Select the performance setting box
  • Under the advanced tab select the change box for virtual memory
  • Un-check automatically manage page file size for all drives
  • For the SSD select "No paging file" and click the set box
  • Select yes to allow
  • Restart is needed to apply this

5) Turn Off Multi-Boot Selection
This should not be done if the drive is being used to boot multiple operating systems off the same OS drive.
  • Select advanced system settings
  • Select the Startup and Recovery setting box
  • Un-check the "time to display list of operating system" box

6) Turn Off Hibernation

• Using the start menu search box type cmd
  • Right click the cmd program and select run as administrator
  • In the command line type "powercfg -h off"
  • This will take about 30 seconds it has finished once the command prompt reappears

7) Power settings

This option is needed for trim to activate at the log-in screen.

Go to Control Panel
Select System and Security
Select Power Options Click the drop down for show additional plans
Select the High Performance bubble to apply it
Click change plan settings for High performance
Click change advanced power settings
Click the hard disk drop down option
Change "turn off hard disk after" to 0 minutes (will display as never after applied)
Select OK
Select save settings

8) Disable Windows Search and Superfetch (Services.msc)
  • In the start box type services.msc and press enter
  • Scroll to find superfetch right click and select properties
  • In the drop down menu select disabled and select ok
  • Scroll down further to find Windows Seach right click and select properties
  • Click the stop box then use the drop down menu to disable select ok

9) Enable Faster Booting sequence (msconfig)

WARNING: Do not change anything else in this section unless you know what you are doing, especially in the advanced options menu you can seriously mess up the OS.

This will remove the spinning windows logo at the start which reduces start-up time by about 2-3 seconds. If you want the boot to look pretty don't select the "No GUI boot" the rest can still be done to improve the boot sequence.
  • Use the start box type msconfig
  • Under the boot tab select the box "No GUI Boot"
  • Timeout should be set to 0 from step 6 (if still 30 seconds set to 3)
  • Select the advanced options box
  • Check the "Number of processors box" and set it to the highest number possible NOTE: This is based off the number of cores you have I have a quad core so 4 is the highest for me, i7's have 8 and Duo's have 2
  • Select ok then restart when prompted

10) Disable Recycle Bin

This will assist in instant activation of trim upon delete for smaller files.

WARNING: By removing this feature it can seriously impend accidental deletions do not apply if you often accidentally delete incorrect files.

• Right Click recycle bin
  • Select the SSD and select "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted"
  • Select apply

Last edited by Spartacus; 12-07-2010 at 01:47 PM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Bunny
Girls play too....

nice guide, however one comment I will make is be cautious disabling the pagefile (its used by lots of things and not just for an overflow to main memory) - If you disable it and all works then great, if you get apps having issues (i.e. some games) then renebale it with a smaller size (I keep mine at 2GB with 8GB Ram).

England  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Part 2: Registry Edits/Addons
SECONDARY WARNING:
The registry edits can be seriously harmful if not done correctly, please do not change anything if you don't know what you're doing outside of the recommendations in this guide

A Restart is required after each registry parameter change to apply the edit.

1) Wait To Kill Service Timeout

This will decrease waiting for shutdown time.

• Type regedit into the start menu box
  • Select the file path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol"
  • The last file is WaitToKillServiceTimeout
  • Right click and select modify to change the value from 12000 to 1000
  • Restart - NOTE: If you experience program hangups increase this to 5000 or so. With a single drive I have had no problems with 1000.

2) Disable ClearPageFileAtShutdown and LargeSystemCache

WARNING: Changing Clearpagefile should only be done if disabling page fileing from the first part.
  • Select the file path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\SessionManager\MemoryManagement"
  • The 2nd and 5th files are ClearPageFileAtShutdown and LargeSystemCache
  • Right click and select modify on each of these to change the value from 0 to 1
  • Restart

3) Disable Superfetch and Prefetch
  • Select the file path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\SessionManager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters"
  • The last file two files are EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch
  • Right click and select modify on each of these to change the value from 1 to 0
  • Restart

4) NTFS Memory Usage and NTFS Disable Name Creation
  • Select the file path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\FileSystem"
  • The 5th files is NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation right click and modify to 1
  • The 11th file is NtfsMemoryUsage right click and modify to 2
  • Restart

5) Change from IDE mode to AHCI

This is only for those who installed Windows 7 in IDE mode.
WARNING: Double check that you have AHCI in your mobo BIOS before changing, you will NOT be able to boot into IDE mode after changing this setting. I claim no responsibility for anything.

SSD's run the fastest in AHCI mode which allows for plug and play SATA devices and Native Command Queuing which can give 5-10% performance boosts with single drives (I got an extra 15mb/s read and 10mb/s write after changing to AHCI)
  • Select the file path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\msahci"
  • Right Click and modify Start from 3 to 0
  • Restart

6) Disable System Restore

Forgot about this one, big thanks to Lest for reminding me.

• Select system protection
  • Select configure
  • Select turn off system restore

7) Verify TRIM
  • Using the start menu search box type cmd
  • Right click the cmd program and select run as administrator
  • In the command line type "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify"
  • If DisableDeleteNotify=0 TRIM is Enabled
  • If DisableDeleteNotify=1 TRIM is Disabled

There ya go that's all the settings I apply to get the most out of my SSD's all are optional. There are tons more you can do these are the ones I found most helpful. Feel free to leave any POSITIVE comments, I don't need any "you forgot this or add this one dude" those will be requested for deletion without warning.

Feel free to post any questions or send me a pm, I would be happy to help with any problems. And for the last time :

APPLY THESE AT YOUR OWN RISK
I CLAIM NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY ISSUES.
I have not encountered any issues personally due to application of these settings though nor from any of the people I have helped.

Last edited by Spartacus; 04-25-2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Added TRIM command and System restore
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
LesT
Learning To Overclock

Nice Guide!!!! If its ok with you, I may send some business your and the sites way by linking to it for others from my blogs.

If I may, on my system and others I have spoken to, turning off write cache buffering (second box) slows down performance on some ssds and also,
turning off PageFile gets you 3.5Gb space back and going one step further and turning off hibernation gets you an additional 2.5Gb back.

The 6Gb return is pretty valuable on a ssd.

And one last thing.... turning off System Restore is vital as it is devastating on TRIM and any system optimization utilities. Its actually a very good possibility that system slow down on systems without TRIM may be occurring as a result of System Restore creating regular allocation points on the ssd.

Hope this helps the post but if the OP doesn't think so please pm and I can remove anything that one may not agree with. Again...Great Guide!

Les
The SSD Review
My Computer and Windows 7 Optimization Guide

Last edited by LesT; 04-17-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
onewecallgod
#6 post whore

What's the point of disabling Superfetch? It has nothing to do with disk access.
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
What's the point of disabling Superfetch? It has nothing to do with disk access.
I just made the guide from recommendations across the board its part of what I do so I included it in the guide

Quote:
And one last thing.... turning off System Restore is vital as it is devastating on TRIM and any system optimization utilities. Its actually a very good possibility that system slow down on systems without TRIM may be occurring as a result of System Restore creating regular allocation points on the ssd.
I agree, looks like I forgot to put that in there
OOO almost forgot to include the command to verify that TRIM is working
I'll add both of those in.

Quote:
If I may, on my system and others I have spoken to, turning off write cache buffering (second box) slows down performance on some ssds and also,
turning off PageFile gets you 3.5Gb space back and going one step further and turning off hibernation gets you an additional 2.5Gb back.
yes it can but, some users have an increase in performance, when its AHCI based from what I have experienced with OCZ users, and the performance decrease typically applies to the older SSD's, the new sandforce and illinix controllers, and yes that was the point of page file and hibernation

Quote:
Nice Guide!!!! If its ok with you, I may send some business your and the sites way by linking to it for others from my blogs.
Feel free to Lest just don't slander my name, put words in my mouth, or use anything I say out of context. (just protecting myself in a legal sense)

EDIT: Edits made to guide added system restore and trim check command

Last edited by Spartacus; 04-17-2010 at 04:56 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
onewecallgod
#6 post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
I just made the guide from recommendations across the board its part of what I do so I included it in the guide
Seems silly to recommend something that you have no clue about, especially when it's completely counter-intuitive.
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
LesT
Learning To Overclock

I sent you a pm and would not change it whatsoever nor would I take any credit. Its your work of art and you deserve as much credit as the work that went into this.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewecallgod View Post
Seems silly to recommend something that you have no clue about, especially when it's completely counter-intuitive.
His recommendations are all dead on. I have been using and recommending these for some 3 years now and, well, he obviously does have a clue of which he speaks in examining the guide as a whole. Others would and do charge for same.

Last edited by LesT; 04-17-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Canada  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
onewecallgod
#6 post whore

You should probably cite where you got your information. Otherwise it's plagiarism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesT View Post
His recommendations are all dead on. I have been using and recommending these for some 3 years now and, well, he obviously does have a clue of which he speaks in examining the guide as a whole. Others would and do charge for same.
Doesn't seem like it. I'm not very confident in a technical author who answers a question by saying, "because everyone else does it."
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
LesT
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewecallgod View Post
You should probably cite where you got your information. Otherwise it's plagiarism.

Doesn't seem like it. I'm not very confident in a technical author who answers a question by saying, "because everyone else does it."
I can understand that. They are all bang on however. He has done a phenomenal job in hitting all the key methods. Also, learning from others and then compiling your own documentation is not plagiarism. Credit where credit is due in this case IMHO, I would have been the first to bring up any questionable methods.

Kudos Spartacus.

EDIT... I can also explain the Superfetch question if you like. Traditionally, Superfetch loads the most frequently used programs into memory for quicker access which would speed up your system. The difficulty with an ssd is the fact that any program is launched almost immediately and technically; it renders Superfetch worthless. It then becomes a more important question if you have disabled Pagefile and the amount of physical memory becomes more valuable. In the end, Superfetch on a SSD Win 7 equipped system is rendered useless simply because of the disk access speed. There is actually alot of discussion as to whether the internal structure of Win 7 ensures Superfetch does not function when an ssd is present in any case but its actually simply the result of the speedy ssd access most likely. There is no observable speed gain with it on but...well why would i want something on that doesn't do anything anyway right?

Les
The SSD Review

Last edited by LesT; 04-17-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
deathvirus05
Clock to overclock

will putting the power to high perfrmance really increase cpu performance? why is that? but in the setting it only differ in display and time of sleep can u answer it im kinda confuse
Philippines  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
LesT
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathvirus05 View Post
will putting the power to high perfrmance really increase cpu performance? why is that? but in the setting it only differ in display and time of sleep can u answer it im kinda confuse
I cannot speak to the CPU directly but many new SSD users complain that they aren't getting the expected/advertised performance out of their ssd. I would bet you that 90% of the time, when advised to change to High Performance, they laugh realizing that benchmark scores are much better. Its always the first piece of advice I give and yes the benchmarks to differ significantly.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
deathvirus05
Clock to overclock

well i guess ill be in the recommended section
Philippines  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
onewecallgod
#6 post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesT View Post
I can also explain the Superfetch question if you like. Traditionally, Superfetch loads the most frequently used programs into memory for quicker access which would speed up your system. The difficulty with an ssd is the fact that any program is launched almost immediately and technically; it renders Superfetch worthless. It then becomes a more important question if you have disabled Pagefile and the amount of physical memory becomes more valuable. In the end, Superfetch on a SSD Win 7 equipped system is rendered useless simply because of the disk access speed. There is actually alot of discussion as to whether the internal structure of Win 7 ensures Superfetch does not function when an ssd is present in any case but its actually simply the result of the speedy ssd access most likely. There is no observable speed gain with it on but...well why would i want something on that doesn't do anything anyway right?
I guess that makes sense, but any way you cut it, memory will still load data an order of magnitude faster than an SSD. Even if programs are small enough to be loaded within a second for an SSD, it'll load maybe in a tenth of the time from RAM. We buy SSDs for the luxury of quickness, even at the millisecond level, so disabling it still seems silly to me.

The other reason I think disabling it is pointless is that with it off, your RAM sits idle and empty. Might as well have it on and make your RAM do something.

I'm not making this argument for argument sake, I just wanted an explanation posted so people know what the hell they're doing to their computers and that they'll make the informed choice, rather than blindly following a guide.
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
I stated that it allows the activation of trim in the guide which helps keep the drive performing at top speed over long periods of time. The SSD need to idle to be able to filter through previously deleted areas and mark them as usable again. Over time if not done through garbage collect or TRIM it can seriously hinder the drives performance. If the power is not set to always keep the drive on it wont activate GC or trim when idling because the drive will be shutoff. So it won't boost anything initially it just keeps everything running as it should.

Quote:
sweet! now im a technical author, NOT! I'm just a heavy SSD user that have experimented with lots of settings, though I am slighly biased since I only have OCZ SSD's but, they should work the same as any other SSD.
United States  Offline
Old 04-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
Cecil
Fix The Internet

Most of this isnt needed for modern SSDs. Any "gen 2" SSD doesnt need any tweaks at all, or at most just a couple. All the stuff you showed was for the first gen SSDs, so you should edit that in.

For gen 2 SSDs, this is all you need.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...win7-with-SSD&

And most if not all of this looks like it came from here,
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...l=1#post442158
United States  Offline
Old 04-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
LesT
Learning To Overclock

Tony states that he leaves System Restore on... Hmmm.

There is plenty of evidence around the System Restore is damaging to a ssd. I don't use System restore but tested myself by leaving Restore on for two weeks and noticed my performance dropped significantly. I then ran Toolbox Optimizer which should take less than a second as it does the same as TRIM manually. It took 10 minutes and only after that did my benches improve.

I have invited people on a number of sites to try similar and, well, its pretty consistent all around. System restore IS NOT a good thing for a ssd.

Further, Tony seems to add on to his 'few' tweaks as people question him on things leaving him with alot more suggestions by the end of the thread.

Nobody is an expert and nobody knows everything. The OPs thread is not consistent of a thread for G1 drives but covers all angle of what optimization should do. It has ways to keep your drive in shape, ways to gain space back, ways to decrease shut down time as well as many other ideas...

Does it mimic other Guides? Of course it does. There is not an author out there who can write in an informed and knowledgeable manner having not read what others have thought and suggested on a subject.

Last edited by LesT; 04-18-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
slash_2_2000
No fire? Go higher!

For the record, when it comes to SSD's at least, installing chipset drivers can actually drastically reduce performance, especially if you're using an nVidia motherboard. The first thing nVidia users should do is uninstall their nVidia SATA controller drivers and revert back to the default Windows version.
Australia  Offline
Old 04-16-2011, 03:45 AM   #19
PommieB
Overclocker

The point with a ssd is to reduce write amplification, I see nothing wrong with the tutorial except the spelling of indilinx ( insignificant I know ), these type of tutorials are available on just about every forum that as anything to do with computers or ssd drives, they are there to help people, if performance drops or causes problems, change the setting back, like the advice on cpu threads, I tried this years ago and it did absolutely nothing for me, so I changed it back, writing any tutorial, you can't allow for every hardware configuration.

Like the tutorial, every forum needs one. Good work Spartacus.
Australia  Offline
Old 04-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #20
Rudboy
Overclocking is Metal

Since I'm going to be picking my first SSD this week (OCZ Vetex 3) I'm thrilled that I have this guide to go over. Thanks!

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash_2_2000 View Post
For the record, when it comes to SSD's at least, installing chipset drivers can actually drastically reduce performance, especially if you're using an nVidia motherboard. The first thing nVidia users should do is uninstall their nVidia SATA controller drivers and revert back to the default Windows version.
Don't like the sound of that, what causes this? I would think that not using the proper chipset drivers could cause other problems and perhaps stability issues when overclocking?

Last edited by Rudboy; 04-16-2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply