EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
IcyLynx
Waiting for Diablo3

cable sleeving tips and advice

well getting some cable sleeving and am just looking for a few pointers to make it a bit easier. I got the "hot knife" tip or burn the ends to make it a tad easier, got something off youtube about putting heatshrink under and over the sleeving to make it hold better and no ties, anything else you could recommend?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Widget
Running System Stock

Cable sleeving tips and advice

I've just completed some sleeving on my PC when I wc'd it. Sleeving is remarkably straight forward and easy. A cig lighter is ample forclosing the ends - although much gets 'undone' when you try pushing wire through after - esp. on the 4mm braid I was often using for fans cables. Heat gun was worth a tenner just because it made everything easier and quicker for me.

Best advice really is to order a little extra braid and use it to practice with. One trial will show you how easy it is! And well worth the trouble. Esp. on all those fan wires from your fan controller!!!
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
IcyLynx
Waiting for Diablo3

Thanks, yes i also found fusing the ends to make it easier, as well as sliding the sleeving over a tube of some sort, and pushing the wires thru the tube, helped alot, cleans up the case nicely. BTW what company made your sleeving? I went with OKGear, and it was, well, OK, sleeving seemed a bit thin, compared to say the sleeving on the h-50.
United States  Offline
Old 06-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Ace.
Learning To Overclock

here is a good how to in germany if you like
http://translate.google.de/translate...ein-kabel.html
Germany  Offline
Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Drew1189
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

where would you guys recommend getting sleeving from?
United States  Offline
Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

Get some Type III or 550 Paracord. Then cut your length and pull out the inner cores, they just slip right out. Use the sheathing as your cable sleeve.

No lie paracord sleeving is the very best option for colors, durability, and price. 50-100 feet can be had for like $10-$20. That's $0.10 per foot or something. And it is waayyy more flexible.
United States  Offline
Old 09-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

Jahova is very right here. I have seen several builds with Paracord over normal cable sleeving options and it really does look better. Typically speaking sleeving is a derivative of plastic products, has a really cheap look to it. Those that aren't still look kind of plastic like. The Paracord options you typically find are more of a rich Matte look and for that matter are much easier to handle and far more durable.

Just a note!
United States  Offline
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
apw63
PWM heart rate

Hello,

I have done a little bit of sleaving click my sig. I have lots of info in my WC/OC thread. Are you going to sleave individual wires or in bundles? Will you be sleaving your usb cables, SATA and fans?

Buy some cheap stuff and practice, it will make a big difference in the end. Precut all of your heat shrink to uniform lengths. Make sure you learn how to do the all-important “stretch” of the sleaving. To get the great clean look, cut/fit all sleaving per individual wire. Get a paint pen to mark sleaving length on wire.

Biggest tip I can give practice, practice and more practice. Be prepared to burn up some materials. It’s the only way to learn.

I got all my stuff at http://en.mdpc-x.com/

Andy

Last edited by apw63; 09-17-2012 at 08:57 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
Playap0wnr
Learning To Overclock

This guide caught my attention...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_SGD5jLong
United States  Offline
Old 10-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

Sleeved my first set of cables!

What's the best multimeter to use for making sure my wires are set up right? I've never used a multimeter.
United States  Offline
Old 08-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #11
Zanex09
Mad Warranty Voider

been outta the biz for a long time, but im sure any multimeter would be fine. i believe all you would be doing is tracing the wires with it to make sure they are in the proper location. head to canadian tire or something and just get a mastercraft dmm.

aaaannnd i just woke the dead.....
Canada  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply