EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-26-2010, 11:54 PM   #21
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE4u View Post
Spread method here as well... but i dont use the thicker viscosity AS3/5, i use ASCeramique.

Next time for sure, i'll try the X-MEN technique and see if it works for me while still using ASCeramique.
You'll find the AS5 (silver) actually cools much better than Ceramique. The Ceramic also has instructional use as well.

Quote:
Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shapes and sizes of the particles in Céramique, it will take a minimum of 25 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop slightly over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.
Info from http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

This is why in my sticky I mention visiting the web site of the thermal paste manufacturer to be familiar with your paste application, break in and results of usage. Not to mention application which may vary from paste to paste, cpu to cpu and cooler to cooler.

IMO I personally find covering the entire area with paste to be better. I don't have to worry if the dot will spread all the way across or if the line is good enough.

Remember, paste is placed to remove air pockets, not create them. A very thin application is enough all the way across.

Just sayin
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #22
Sephiroth
Apple Elitist

I've always used the spread method, although I put a thicker amount than he did too. He just used way too little to spread it out like that with a low vic substance(I use AS5 which is decently thick). It wasn't even fully covering the spreader before he applied pressure. Also, someone needs to cut their nails, I thought it was a chick for a minute.
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #23
WinnieThePwn
안녕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I've always used the spread method, although I put a thicker amount than he did too. He just used way too little to spread it out like that with a low vic substance(I use AS5 which is decently thick). It wasn't even fully covering the spreader before he applied pressure. Also, someone needs to cut their nails, I thought it was a chick for a minute.

Maybe it is?
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2010, 12:21 AM   #24
BigE4u
Yessss!

The only gripe i have with AS3/5 is the thickness of the thermal grease, i too have always used the spread method on every CPU to date.

My biggest problem was using this on P4 cpus, or pretty much any processor that has a IHS. When trying to remove the HSF, it would stick like glue to the cpu, that it would litterally lift the cpu along with it and pull the cpu from its socket.

I've always hated that, even putting a slight twisting motion of the HSF during removal wouldnt do any good, it would still lif the the cpu up along with it and pull it from its socket.

Im thinking of going with that MX-2 thermal grease next time... no curing needed, non conducting, non electrical, non capacitive, etc.
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #25
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Quote:

I've always hated that, even putting a slight twisting motion of the HSF during removal wouldnt do any good, it would still lif the the cpu up along with it and pull it from its socket.
This is when you know for a Gosh darn fact you did an excellent seating job and the thermal paste is doing/done it's job.

As5 is more of a permanent paste, and one of the best ones too. For benching MX-2 is just great period. All for the things you mentioned. plus being one of the best of the best.
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2010, 12:50 AM   #26
Deluded
Pushing into redline

Psh. It doesn't matter what kind of TIM you use or how you apply it... in the end it won't matter if you decide to use THIS FAN!

Quote:
Performance Data (Measured using BL15 DF Brushless Motor)
Recommended Motor: BL15 Ducted Fan Brushless Motor, 3600Kv (EFLM3015DF)

Static Thrust: 1.7 lbs on 3S (11.1V); 2.8 lbs on 4S (14.8V)

RPM: 31,000 on 3S (11.1V); 40,000 on 4S (14.8V)

Velocity: 71 mph on 3S (11.1V); 102 mph on 4S (14.8V)

Watts: 305 on 3S (11.1V); 644 on 4S (14.8V)

Current: 29A on 3S (11.1V);46A on 4S (14.8V)
102 MPH wind speed @ 644W.......!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBqGGFWrGaQ
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #27
SlaveOnDope
Please do go on.

I always do X from corner to corner , gets full coverage that way.

Cool vid. I played something like that in my head awhile back.
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #28
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluded View Post
Psh. It doesn't matter what kind of TIM you use or how you apply it... in the end it won't matter if you decide to use THIS FAN!

102 MPH wind speed @ 644W.......!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBqGGFWrGaQ
Get enough of these and your PC might fly
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #29
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
IMO I personally find covering the entire area with paste to be better. I don't have to worry if the dot will spread all the way across or if the line is good enough.
Right on brother.
Also, if you're worried about air bubbles, when you put your HS on, put it on with a slight rolling motion instead of straight up and down perpendicular. Like putting on a decal, if you know what I mean.
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #30
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
Right on brother.
Also, if you're worried about air bubbles, when you put your HS on, put it on with a slight rolling motion instead of straight up and down perpendicular. Like putting on a decal, if you know what I mean.
The directions for applying IC7 mention a similar method for application. You put small amount on, and then you rotate the heatsink slightly.
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #31
Sephiroth
Apple Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieThePwn View Post
Maybe it is?
nope. It's an asian guy. mewb.
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #32
krone6
Whaaaaaaaaa?
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX5200 View Post
That vid converted me from the "spread TIM on the IHS" method, to the "grain of rice in the middle" method
Hehe, it also converted me from AS5 to ocz freeze.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
Get enough of these and your PC might fly
Get some servos and other eletronics and you could build the world's first flying pc. Now THAT'S a flying sim.

Last edited by krone6; 06-27-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #33
Tyraid2K
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

What a great video!
I was taught to use the spread out method but now I fear the air bubbles. Maybe this can explain why my 955 can jump to 70C in about 20sec while only overclocked to 3.7ghz when I run prime95. I'll be using the X from now on.
United States  Offline
Old 07-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #34
MisterMagoo
Dual QPI Time Machine

"Is thermal paste required for a cpu cooler?"

Lmao
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 07-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #35
BigE4u
Yessss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyraid2K View Post
What a great video!
I was taught to use the spread out method but now I fear the air bubbles. Maybe this can explain why my 955 can jump to 70C in about 20sec while only overclocked to 3.7ghz when I run prime95. I'll be using the X from now on.
The thermal paste that showed the air bubbles was the cheap generic stuff, that didnt happen with the other name brand paste the guy used.

Your high temp problem has many factors.... are you using the stock intel HSF, did you raise the Vcore of the cpu, is the airflow in your case restrictive, are yout fans dirty, etc.
United States  Offline
Old 07-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #36
Namtaro
Warranty?

Quote:
The thermal paste that showed the air bubbles was the cheap generic stuff, that didnt happen with the other name brand paste the guy used.

Your high temp problem has many factors.... are you using the stock intel HSF, did you raise the Vcore of the cpu, is the airflow in your case restrictive, are yout fans dirty, etc.
With the spread method, air bubbles appeared with MX-2 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffK7L...720&feature=iv
Canada  Offline
Old 07-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #37
BigE4u
Yessss!

98% coverage with MX-2 using the spread method, those were small gaps, not air bubbles... unlike the generic white grease.
United States  Offline
Old 07-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #38
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
98% coverage with MX-2 using the spread method, those were small gaps, not air bubbles... unlike the generic white grease.
What do you think the gaps are? Nothingness?
Canada  Offline
Old 07-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #39
Sephiroth
Apple Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephious View Post
What do you think the gaps are? Nothingness?
air bubbles are created after pressure is applied and the grease spreads itself out too far. gaps are where you didn't put enough paste on, and no contact was made in the first place. you can't put it on paper thin if you use the spread method. its the Same person doing the applying so it's not surprising he managed to screw it up again.
United States  Offline
Old 07-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #40
BigE4u
Yessss!

The spread method seems to work for me, so i stuck with it... airbubbles and all.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply