EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #81
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Ah but the thermal paste is spread under the Sink then. Back to the thermal paste . Spread right at the source just like I've been stating as well. And that is actually another point I tried making.

Sink or Spreader.....
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #82
Sephiroth
Apple Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
Ah but the thermal paste is spread under the Sink then. Back to the thermal paste . Spread right at the source just like I've been stating as well. And that is actually another point I tried making.

Sink or Spreader.....
I'm lost, sorry
United States  Offline
Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #83
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

IHS plate over core. The 3400+ has a spread method. Not a Dot, or X or w/e. It's spread.

Back to the point I mean. Keep up now.... Lulz

And I saw that ninja you did to your post lolz x2!! My Engrish is fine thanks.
United States  Offline
Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #84
OptyTrooper
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
I bench A LOT and I ALWAYS use the dot method. When you bench 10 CPU's in a night you don't have time to play "Spackle the IHS" anyway.
United States  Offline
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #85
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

I bench Too! And most of the Cpu's, I remove the IHS plate any ways. I don't even need to worry about how TIM is doing.

So you guys can do what ever. IDC. I just wanted to give my opinion and pointers that's all. I Never ever said doing the Dot or other method was wrong. I stated the spread method ensures total contact and heat transfer between the two objects. That's all.
United States  Offline
Old 07-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #86
OptyTrooper
Banned!
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
I bench Too! And most of the Cpu's, I remove the IHS plate any ways. I don't even need to worry about how TIM is doing.

So you guys can do what ever. IDC. I just wanted to give my opinion and pointers that's all. I Never ever said doing the Dot or other method was wrong. I stated the spread method ensures total contact and heat transfer between the two objects. That's all.
That is always the best way.
United States  Offline
Old 07-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #87
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

For the quads it really helps (liquid Cooling Only). There is a large drop in temps and the cores and Cpu (external) temps are closer together as well. If you have air cooling, it's best to leave the IHS plate on unless you can replace it with a better material. Such as Silver for example. I also have lapped down a Morgan Silver Dollar to use as a Spreader plate for liquid cooling air cooling and I even used it on the DicePot once too.

The dot method works pretty well because it fills the bowl of the IHS plate well. I'm referencing AMD cpu's at this moment. Even the Filled Box in the middle would work decently.

These pictures should help show what I'm talking about.

Where the copper shows is basically where the Cpu would "touch" or make contact first. The TIM fills in the darker areas and makes a thermal "Bond" in some cases being heated up to create a glue type bond that transfers heat better when "burned in" or used for a period of time in other words.

I got sick of lapping and found it quicker and easier and better temps with less than 5 minutes with a mini torch (45nm quads).... First 3 are socket 939 3800+ and the last 3 are 939 FX-55. These are beginning stages of the lapping process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3130.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	150439   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3131.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	150440   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3133.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	150441   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3179.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	150442   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3175.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	150443  

Name:	DSCN3179-1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	150444  
United States  Offline
Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 AM   #88
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

When you have delidded, did you notice any difference in the thickness of any of the ihs's?
United States  Offline
Old 07-14-2010, 06:08 AM   #89
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Nope. AMD IHS plates have been the same for years. The high end chips are the only ones soldered. The Phenom II x2 550BE is probably soldered also being a native quad.
United States  Offline
Old 07-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #90
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Good to know that. I had thought that plate thickness may varied on different cpu's.
United States  Offline
Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #91
OptyTrooper
Banned!
Banned
The old K6 line had rather thin IHS's, then K7 had none. Thereafter they have been the same as Shrimp said.

So I guess you were right mimart7. If you go back 15 years that is.
United States  Offline
Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #92
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

I didn't think he meant way back to K6 and 7..... 754 939 940 AM2 and AM3 are all the same. Pardon and let me correct myself ahem....
United States  Offline
Old 07-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #93
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

I did mean recent cpu's. Anyone have any info about the Intel's. Anyone want to try to delid a 980X ?
United States  Offline
Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #94
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

I'd love to de-lid a 980x, but not with my $$ lol. Those are soldered as well most likely.
United States  Offline
Old 07-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #95
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

If I ever hit the lottery, I'll send one, no two. Just in case you mess the first one up.
United States  Offline
Old 07-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #96
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Arrow What I have learned...

In a perfect world both the IHS & the HS would be perfectly flat & like forged surgical stainless, contain no air pockets, but this is not that world, that is why we need TIM.

The less the better, in that it acts as an insulator compared to perfect metal to metal contact & traps pockets of air, which do the same.

The IHS is there primarily to protect the CPU core(s), not help dissipate heat. Direct contact between the core(s) & the HS is ideal & direct contact between the core(s) & the heat pipes is even better!

The TIM must be above the core(s), between the core(s) & the HS, the less the better!

Best Wishes,
Dave
United States  Offline
Old 07-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #97
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

See, of all the reading in PDF's on technical documentation AMD puts out for their CPU's, the integrated heat spread actually is their to spread the heat over a larger surface area. It helps cool the cpu by giving the water block or w/e air cooling device you have (usually the stock cooler according to documentation ) a larger area to dissipate heat.

Also, it helps raise the cooler off of the mounting bracket to create a pressure. Without the IHS plate, the (stock cooler) may not even touch the core at all. That and other things soldered to the board have a little more room as well.

We all know the more pieces added, that harder it is to remove heat.

So now in my little non perfect world, I have a IHS plateless cpu (lapped) and a crappy little water block (modded and lapped). Both objects nearly perfect flat.

Do you think I would use a Dot?

Would you use a Dot?

an X?

an H?

the answer os NO. I would be greatly taking a chance that part of the core is not going to dissipate heat at all or very little at all causing thermal shut down.

Yea my stock cooler did not touch the core. All other stock coolers require a IHS plate as well or washer mods ect.

So I made a Silver plate from a morgan silver dollar to remove heat better than the original IHS plate did. And I spread the TIM every time...

Here's some more pics. What you see here is the water block with silver spreader. No it's not needed because the water block is efficient enough with liquid in it.

Ideally a water block made of silver directly on core (spread'ed TIM method) would remove heat faster. Then it would be up to the Rad's and actual air temps to get colder.

This plate was stuck on so tight, I had to use tools to slide it off. I was bending my thumbnail. I highly doubt there was some "air bubble".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0216.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	150615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	150616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	150617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02429.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	150618   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02424.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	150619  

United States  Offline
Old 08-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #98
UKjim
Its an 'id10T' error!

so when i upgrade my heatsink and fan, Im going to use the cross method - good video cheers
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #99
BigE4u
Yessss!

Wow... my thread is still alive... thanks guys!

I do the super thin spread across the whole lid and then put a super tiny dot of the same tim in the center, lock down the HSF, apply downward pressure and then move the hsf back-n-forth to dispearse any air bubbles... works for me.
United States  Offline
Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #100
BigE4u
Yessss!

Since i dont "lvl" the HSF bottom or IHS on the cpu for effective contact, i've heard most usually have a slight concave surface.

So if the tim is spread thin in the middle of the processor, theres less in that area to affectively transfer the heat from the cpu to hsf.

Thats where the super tiny dot of tim is placed in the center to make up for any area in the center that might create the greatest air bubble, and like i've said, its worked great for me that one time i did it a time or two.

I havent done it since and now i either use the line or pea method, in regards to which processor im using of course.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply