EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
FX5200
Pengwhale

The noobs guide to replacing bad motherboard caps.

Ok, so I'm sure this has happened to a lot of us, your computer suddenly starts acting strange. Randomly shutting down or rebooting, or refusing to start at all.

You open the case to see what could be the problem, and are greeted by this:

Or THIS

Or THIS!!

"OK", you think, "No problem. I have my warranty, and I will use it". Unfortunately, it turns out your warranty JUST expired some 45 minutes ago.

SO, to those who are in this situation, I present to you,

!!!***THE NOOBS GUIDE TO REPLACING BAD CAPS***!!!

OK, meet the test subject. This is a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9.

For it's day/socket, it's a pretty decent board, a shame for it to go to waste. It was giving issues, wouldn't start up, or if it did, it would almost immediately shut down again, here you can see why.

It seems some of the main caps have failed, or are in the process of failing. Two are bulging, and one has already leaked out most of it's fluid.

Ok, now, for those who continuously drone on and on about, "my soldering iron is too bad", or "too strong", or "too cheap", I don't want to hear that. I present to you, Mr. Generic El-cheapo. A monstrosity of a 150W soldering iron, with a "tip" wider than the back of an 18-wheeler.

The contacts for the caps to be replaced. I've already started removing one of the caps.

First cap removed. As you can see, there was a LOT of leaking from the cap.

Ok, the technique I use, is press the solder iron tip against the base of the cap point, until ALL the solder in the joint is molten, then push out ONE pin of the cap. You can either push it out with the solder tip, or (and I prefer this) pull it out by gripping the cap itself from the other side, and sliding the pin out of the joint. WARNING: Make sure no part of the solder iron is touching traces on the board itself. The iron will melt through the traces before you can react. ALSO, if you look at where the cap was on the board, you will see that one half of the circle is white. This indicates polarity. On the cap itself, there is usually a white stripe or lines. The cap must be installed so that the white line/stripes are facing the same direction as the white half of the circle.

Last edited by FX5200; 10-24-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
FX5200
Pengwhale

First pin removed. Now just do the same for the other one, and the cap should come out pretty effortlessly.

All four main caps removed. I KNOW that only 3 were damaged, but I decided to replace the whole set of 4 caps, with new ones. The caps being replaced are 6.3V, 3300uF ones.

Ok, I didn't take pictures of the installation of new caps, but basically, what I do is, hold the solder tip against the joint again, and wait for all the solder to melt, then push one pin in, then the other one. You can add a little extra solder if you lost some during de-soldering the old caps. Once more, I warn you to be careful about touching traces with the iron tip.

The new caps are installed, and the board is ready to be tested.

Plug the board into power, attach peripherals, slide in a GPU, and... Oh, by the way, spot a "glitch" in this picture

IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY. I will likely use this rig for my HTPC.

Full specs:

S939 Athlon 64 3200+
Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9
MSI 6600GT Diamond
2 X 1 GB DDR1 400Mhz
1TB SATA HDD
350W PSU.
Custom Wooden case (Build log coming soon, keep an eye out for it)

And, a word to some, shaky hands is NO EXCUSE EITHER. You REALLY don't have to be a neurosurgeon to do this. If you can hold a fork or write your name with a pen, you can replace caps on a mobo. I hope someone finds this useful and informative. Let me know if this helped you, and thank my post.

Disclaimer: I, FX5200, am not responsible if you mess it up and ruin your new R3E by following this guide. But then again, why would you replace caps on a new R3E?
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 10-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
krone6
Whaaaaaaaaa?
Forum Newbie

Lol at 150watt solder iron comment. you should of went 750watt... just..cause
United States  Offline
Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Forgot to mention that the caps have to be installed in the proper direction. There's a stripe on the side that designates which leg is positive and negative.

Last edited by Mr.Scott; 10-30-2010 at 06:55 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 10-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
FX5200
Pengwhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
Forgot to mention that the caps have to be installed in the proper direction. There's a stripe on the side that designates which leg is positive.
Good point. Fixed.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 10-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
krone6
Whaaaaaaaaa?
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Forgot to mention that the caps have to be installed in the proper direction. There's a stripe on the side that designates which leg is positive.
Oh wow, i noticed that yet it never crossed my mind to tell him.
United States  Offline
Old 10-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Eviscerate
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Don't capacitors have notches instead of stripes on the side sometimes?
United States  Offline
Old 10-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
slash_2_2000
No fire? Go higher!

I'm sure this is an awesome guide except (as somebody who knows nothing about electronics) everything that you mention being super obvious I can't see at all.

Maybe some big red arrows are in order.
Australia  Offline
Old 10-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
OptyTrooper
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Nice job. Your correct too that you don't "need" a fancy iron to re-cap. A steady hand is a must though.
United States  Offline
Old 10-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
krone6
Whaaaaaaaaa?
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptyTrooper View Post
Nice job. Your correct too that you don't "need" a fancy iron to re-cap. A steady hand is a must though.
That, and a clean iron. A dirty iron is a bad iron. And if you need to tin it to apply the heat better, do it. Just don't overkill on the tinning.
United States  Offline
Old 10-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
leprechanmonkie
Red Rocket Red Rocket

Do not attempt to do 7 layer pc board with anything under a 50W iron, TRUST ME.

Lol it took 5 minutes to get the heat through the board to even get the old ones out. New 30$ cheapo adjustable solder station and its a breeze!
United States  Offline
Old 10-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
boshuter
Overclocker

Exclamation

Quote:
The stripe on the side designates the negative side, not positive. The new caps will have one leg longer than the other, the long leg is positive.
United States  Offline
Old 10-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
Almost Tactf
DT 1770 and a Lyr

Nice guide, if we had rep you'd get a +1 from me
United States  Offline
Old 10-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshuter View Post
The stripe on the side designates the negative side, not positive. The new caps will have one leg longer than the other, the long leg is positive.
Didn't say the stripe was positive, just that it designates between positive and negative.
United States  Offline
Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #15
boshuter
Overclocker

Quote:
Didn't say the stripe was positive, just that it designates between positive and negative.
Sorry, must be me, every time I read it, it says " There's a stripe on the side that designates which leg is positive.". Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
United States  Offline
Old 10-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #16
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshuter View Post
Sorry, must be me, every time I read it, it says " There's a stripe on the side that designates which leg is positive.". Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
Very well. Edited post for clarity.
United States  Offline
Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #17
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

wow.... you guys use really high wattage irons. Most things I work on get done with a 30w fine tip iron. Krone said it best.... Most the people that have problems soldering are using a dirty tip.

If it starts to work poorly:
Heat it up
Wipe off excess solder stuck to it with damp sponge/cloth
If there is any blackening, hit the tip with a file.
(Be careful, you just want the tarnish off, it should be shiny silver, if you hit copper you went too far)
Re tin with a good rosin core solder immediately after you filed.

This brings 90% of "bad irons" back to life. You would be amazed how good a low wattage, properly prepped iron will do, and how much more control you have. Also how much lower your potential for collateral damage will be.

Good writeup though.
United States  Offline
Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #18
@dmin
Crash and Burn

I <3 my hakko 60 watt flat head screw driver tip soldering iron! http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Red-60w-...&sr=8-12-spell

but couple questions

who do you buy parts from? newark? digikey? .....?

I have a POS ECS am2 board that I always suspected the caps. the caps look alright but it will start and post and I can run memtest on it but as soon as I try to start a OS or a bootable USB OS it just shuts off. think thats a cap issue? Think its worth it to replace the caps?
United States  Offline
Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #19
BigE4u
Yessss!

Test your PSU first... first line of defense, its its caput, your whole system is caput.
United States  Offline
Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #20
@dmin
Crash and Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE4u View Post
Test your PSU first... first line of defense, its its caput, your whole system is caput.
I have tried about 3 psu's
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply