EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
Pierre
OC - It's FREE!

Do you use Windows 7 Drive Imaging?

I've been *very* pleased with the full system recovery available when using Windows 7 Drive Imaging...

Short tutorial HERE:
Create YOUR Windows 7 System Restore Image NOW!

Hope that helps you out... and let me know if there are other topics you would like to see or hear!

L8ter...
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Hickeydog
Terrible Human Being

I use it. I use that as my primary backup. I grab an image of my C drive, and then just copy files from my D and E drives to F (my backup drive). The backup utility in Windows 7 is pretty good. A little short on features, but it works well, and it's saved my cookies a few times before.
United States  Offline
Old 03-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Pierre
OC - It's FREE!

I use it with one of the Hard Drive Docks that are out... I have LOTS of hard drives that I have out grown... and it works *great*!

Makes it easy to take a hard drive over to my brother's house... and he give me one of his backups to store for him...

Off-Site storage for No Money...

What's not to like????
United States  Offline
Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

say I have windows 7, a spare 500gb hard drive, and a 120gb SSD. If I have Windows 7 backup to my 500gb hard drive, and the SSD goes down, is the 500gb a fully functioning image that I would be able to boot off of, then re-image back to the SSD?
United States  Offline
Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Hickeydog
Terrible Human Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFox View Post
say I have windows 7, a spare 500gb hard drive, and a 120gb SSD. If I have Windows 7 backup to my 500gb hard drive, and the SSD goes down, is the 500gb a fully functioning image that I would be able to boot off of, then re-image back to the SSD?
You wouldn't be able to boot off of the 500gb drive. However, you can boot off the Windows 7 DVD and use the restore utility to take the image from the 500gb hdd and put it back on the 128gb SSD.
United States  Offline
Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

hmm, I'll probably just stick with my seatools disk and make the 500gb drive into a 120gb clone image then.
United States  Offline
Old 03-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Pierre
OC - It's FREE!

At the end of the imaging process, Win7 prompts you to create the recovery CD... DO THIS...

Works like a dream with both the x32 and x64 versions (tested with 3 restores per version, not one hiccup).

You do get the option to browse for your image - If the 500Gb is up and available, you can use it for recovery.

On my test system I have an external HD Dock - and it's attached to a 2 port eSATA card. Of course, the recovery CD did not grab the drivers for this card...

BUT - it worked just fine to copy the drivers to USB and then install them!

So YES- You can absolutely use the 500gb to recover. I recommend this *HIGHLY* for all y'all that are running RAID0 - Imagine recovering your OS - AND THE INSTALLED APPS - in just a couple hours with no intervention after you star the process!!!

Check it out.... I should have the recovery process video up Saturday Mar 26th... then you can see the process in action.

HTH
United States  Offline
Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Thomas1609
Running System Stock

Wondering, i have (ofcourse) the original windows 7 installation DVD.
Cant i use that in place of making an recovery CD???
Asking because i don't got an CD/DVD writer in my system.
Netherlands  Offline
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Pierre
OC - It's FREE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1609 View Post
Wondering, i have (ofcourse) the original windows 7 installation DVD.
Cant i use that in place of making an recovery CD???
Asking because i don't got an CD/DVD writer in my system.
That's a great question I hadn't considered!

I suspect that the recovery CD has some info for the restoration effort, but I know it doesn't capture particular drivers - I have used the same recovery CD for several different restores, some that require the eSATA drivers for the eSATA card I used in systems that didn't have eSATA built in...

I will have to take a look at this and update the article!

Thanks Thomas1609!

Patrick
United States  Offline
Old 08-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
dellysmelly

I use DriveimageXML, I just want to make a backup at key times.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply