EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
Llunker
Absolute Zero !!

CPU OC Questions

Ok Guys,

I thought i would come into this forum looking for a thread or a sticky on tutorials on how to OC or even what the capabilities of the Chip you want to OC can be. I don't find anything like that at the top of the forums??

My questions are really relying on the fact that I am new to OC and I am thinking Deeply about my build before i buy anything. I am curios to know if the amount you can OC a chip is strictly dependent on Temp? I mean if you can get a chip down to -55 C(using something like Phase Change) you might get more out of that chip than say someone that has that chipped maxed on heat with Air cooling only--thats why they have the different mechanisms of cooling correct??

1. Is there a max to how much you can OC a Chip? or is it dependent on the chip --intel vs. amd? air vs. wc, wc vs. phase change etc,.....
2. I was thinking in between the Intel 2500K and the 2600K and using Water Cooling to see if I would reach 5ghz steady state 24/7 --possible? i guess that all depends on any other factors(probably a laundry list of items to large to place in this thread?) Like i said i am just learning and want to learn more before making that all important purchase.
3. Can someone please point me in the direction of maybe a beginners guide to OC
4. Anything else you guys can add i am all ears !!

Last edited by Llunker; 04-29-2011 at 12:46 PM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
johnerz
Just getting Old

There is a biginners guide but it does not yet cover the I725/2600k.
Basicaly it the most simple of all the overclocking options, lock the blck at 100 and just raise the muliti.

5.0 with WC is possible but will still have serious volts (about 1.46 or so from my experience) with temps at about 72c folding 24/7 so thats under load if you don't fold

The max overclock can be/is limited by one of the following:
The cpu capability not all cpu's are eaqual
The motherboards ability to supply stable volts and control the heat produced
Finaly the heat that the cpu can cope with

I have read that the is a problem with LN2 as the cpu's fail to start up if to cold, you'll need to Google on that for your self

There are a few threads here on overclocking that specific cpu type, but as I have no idea on the motherboard, memory or PSU can't be much help
England  Offline
Old 04-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Llunker
Absolute Zero !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnerz View Post
5.0 with WC is possible but will still have serious volts (about 1.46 or so from my experience) with temps at about 72c folding 24/7 so thats under load if you don't fold

The max overclock can be/is limited by one of the following:
The cpu capability not all cpu's are eaqual
The motherboards ability to supply stable volts and control the heat produced
Finaly the heat that the cpu can cope with

1. Hey John I appreciate the input--Maybe someonelse with more knowledge then can expand on this and tell me about what CPU's are capable of and which ones maybe to stay away from.
2. The MOBO --i would like to think the MOBO i was thinking about which is the ASUS P8P67-M (REV 3.0) LGA 1155. Would be a good choice??
3. you say what the CPU can cope with-I was also thinking about voltage and how people talk about a safe voltage for their chip.

What are the consequences of pushing your chip--i thought it would just mean that your computer suffers from BSOD or has random crashing so you have to move back in the realm of OC the chip---Is there any actual damage that you can cause to the chip by OC to high??? maybe someone can tell me about that?

thanks guys
United States  Offline
Old 04-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
johnerz
Just getting Old

That mobo is fine

To much voltage = to much heat and that can shorten the CPU life (as well as the motherboard)

A reasonable overclock of 4.7 @ 1.3 volts and maybe 63c on themps under stress will have very little effect on the components, its unstable/very hot/high voltages that do the damage.

These cpu's are still new so no long term data on volts/heat and life are around

a good link is here:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...beginners.html

that should fix your need for information

I assumed in my first post you already had a rig with this cpu hence my reply
England  Offline
Old 04-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Hickeydog
Terrible Human Being

Overclocking 101: More volts = more heat. More mhz = more heat. Voltage will kill the chip the fastest. Heat will kill a chip as well. Overclocking will reduce the lifespan of a chip. However, a reasonable overclock (aka, not going with insane volts or temps) will not kill the chip before you upgrade. On the i 2xxx series processors (what you have), Intel specs the max vCore to be 1.45v. Conservatively, use 1.35v as the maximum voltage. I'm not comfortable running more than that on 32nm. Other people do, but I wouldn't. Cooling: If you are running the stock heat sink, you might get 4ghz. If you're running a high end air cooler, you're pretty much guaranteed 4ghz, with 4.5ghz in reach. It pretty much takes water cooling to hit 5ghz.

With that said, overclocking on the i 2xxx processors can only be done via the multiplier. Let's back up for a minute. CPU speed is determined by two things: the bus speed (link between the CPU and RAM), and the CPU multi. To get the CPU speed, multiply the bus speed by the CPU multi, and you get the CPU speed in mhz. Because the bus speed on the 2xxx is the base speed for EVERYTHING, you can't increase it without bad things happening. That leaves just the multi for overclocking. Intel has provided us with chips that have an unlocked multi. The only processors with the unlocked multi have a K at the end of the model number. By increasing the multi, you increase CPU speed.
United States  Offline
Old 04-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

the life span on chips is suposedly 10 years with stock voltages. If you are not stupid with the voltage and heat, you may still knock a couple of years off the processor, but enthusasts upgrade every 1-4 years anyway, so its essentially a non issue.

but this is why you dont overclock your work computers that run vital equipment that has a long life span. You dont want to introduce any instablility or possible decreased life spans in that type of equipment.

Oh daddies life suport equipment quit breathing for him when the cpu died, is not what you want to be saying.

and if you are stupid with the heat and vlotages, you can kill the chip quickly. I havent seen it but I bet there are guys here that have. Thats why its important to set your mobo to manual voltages, you dont know what auto is going to give to the cpu.
United States  Offline
Old 04-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
Llunker
Absolute Zero !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
Intel specs the max vCore to be 1.45v. Conservatively, use 1.35v as the maximum voltage.
Where did you find this information--the Spec sheet for the 2600K only talks about the VID on page 78--which is just a numeric number showing that Intel is saying that the Sandy bridge CPU can report a VID value up to 1.52V, in reality the CPU will never do this. There just needs to be a max value that's higher than the max the chip would use in reality so that all real values are available.

Curious where you got your information from?? since I don't know of a spec sheet with Vcore information that is out yet?? please help me out and point me in the direction of your info.
United States  Offline
Old 04-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
Carozzeria
▲▼▲

He probably got it from a posting by Intel that said 1.35v was the recommended maximum. Anything over 1.38 may kill a chip. It shouldn't be hard to find with a little googling.
United States  Offline
Old 04-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #9
Llunker
Absolute Zero !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carozzeria View Post
He probably got it from a posting by Intel that said 1.35v was the recommended maximum. Anything over 1.38 may kill a chip. It shouldn't be hard to find with a little googling.
Well actually I had already googled and there were no postings from Intel --not that I can find. But in doing a little bit of research i was able to find a small guide to OC the 2600K. Even In this guide though, The SB is still so new the author states "a “safe” voltage range for long term reliability is not yet known."

Then the Author states "For now, I’d suggest staying below 1.4V or 80C load temperatures. I feel those are both fairly conservative settings." Again these are only the authors suggestions and not a firm spec sheet. So until Intel places some firm facts out here we are all kinda just winging it and hope our chips don't give out on us at some point. As more information becomes available i am sure there will be more concrete evidence to support what the Chips actual variance will be.
United States  Offline
Old 04-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
shaneshane1
Overclocker

Well if its any consolation i do a lot of overclocking with AMD 939 CPU's and "cool & quite" is always turned off! BUT once temps get to high the system just shuts down and reboots, the data gets corrupt and the cpu has no option but to crash... trust me, you will learn as you go! you will learn what your system can take and what it can't take! If you do your overclocking slowly and stress test every time, and keep an eye on temps(live) you should be ok... there are a lot of factors that come into effect MORE than voltages, some CPU's just cant cope with overclocking speeds period! and others can clock like crazy without voltage increases, and others you throw heaps of volts at them and they still wont clock! my current CPU does a 600Mhz OC without any voltage increase at all, and another one i have wont overclock past 300Mhz no matter what i do!
Australia  Offline
Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Llunker
Absolute Zero !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneshane1 View Post
Well if its any consolation i do a lot of overclocking with AMD 939 CPU's and "cool & quite" is always turned off! BUT once temps get to high the system just shuts down and reboots, the data gets corrupt and the cpu has no option but to crash... trust me, you will learn as you go! you will learn what your system can take and what it can't take! If you do your overclocking slowly and stress test every time, and keep an eye on temps(live) you should be ok... there are a lot of factors that come into effect MORE than voltages, some CPU's just cant cope with overclocking speeds period! and others can clock like crazy without voltage increases, and others you throw heaps of volts at them and they still wont clock! my current CPU does a 600Mhz OC without any voltage increase at all, and another one i have wont overclock past 300Mhz no matter what i do!
Appreciate the input there shane..I don't plan on doing any crazy OCing but wanted to make sure i wasn't missing any important piece of information like the Top of the Voltage ladder. Plan on doing my testing just like everyone else--oh and if you know how to flash the Foxconn C51GU01 Motherboard(with a decent BIOS that is unlocked and has the voltage settings) -- please PM me. -i have an AMD Athlon 64X2 4200(939 socket) i would like to play with first.

Again Thanks for all your guy's help !!
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply