EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Email & Instant Messengers

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 07-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
iSeven
Power to Compel You

Email Sorting Program?

This might sound a little different, but I was thinking about this and wondered if there was such a thing.

At my primary email address, I am starting to get a lot of messages daily. Some of them I just want to mark as spam, but at times I actually read them. Anyways, it's getting to be somewhat of a hassle sorting through all my mail on a daily basis.

So what I thought would be useful would be a program that basically allows you to sort your new emails into separate folders or inboxes. Let's say I can set a certain address, or key value criteria for each different box or folder, and then the corresponding mail would be separated and stored in the different locations.

For instance, I could have one box that says "NRA" for all of the NRA stories that come in email form, and another box for "store specials".

Another idea would even be an automatic forwarding criteria where I could set the program to look for an email containing certain wording that I am waiting on, and when it comes, it would automatically be forwarded to my other email. This keeps the secondary email safer against being handed out to who knows where, but still gets the important stuff sent there through my own account.

What do you guys think? Ever seen anything like this?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 07-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Mindwarp
I hate bronies!

Yes, it's called Outlook.

You've never heard of Rules and Alerts?
Canada  Offline
Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
ironman28
I am the Brute Squad

^^ Ditto.

Any decent email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) should have the capability to create Rules/Filters and sort your email according to specific criteria (subject line, sender address) and move it/forward it accordingly.
United States  Offline
Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
thread
Mad Warranty Voider

Woah, this is crazy basic for an email client (no question's a dumb question, well, nearly none).

Any of the above will work fine. Opera works for me.

How do you read your email at the moment, webmail? (You won't go back.) Although, if you're talking about a program to sort email, sounds like you have your mail stored locally already...
Australia  Offline
Old 07-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
iSeven
Power to Compel You

I know, I know. It probably sounds stupid for someone who uses such a thing daily, but with me coming from webmail my whole life (Yahoo, Gmail), and never using Outlook, I didn't know it could do something like this with rules.

I've used Outlook, but it was setting up a couple of other peoples' accounts years ago around 2007, and I always thought it was "stupid" to use. I asked myself, "why would anyone want to use a program to view their email, when they can just do it through a web browser?".

I was apparently trying to judge a book by its cover, because I hadn't really used it much besides getting other people setup with it on very few occasions.

One of the main reasons I was bugged by Outlook was because I had a ton of trouble getting it setup one day. I remember a guy that wanted me to get it working with his Yahoo mail, so I was on the net searching all over for "Yahoo mail SMTP server settings" and etc etc, and I could never get Outlook to work with his Yahoo account. I don't know if it was a problem with Yahoo or what, but it was like I could not just go somewhere to find the specific SMTP or POP settings given straightforward on a Yahoo page; every search I would do would end with me in a forum somewhere from 3 years earlier with someone posting the SMTP settings that were always different from the previous advice, and they each never worked. I was frustrated with it. My email address that gets the most mail currently is a Yahoo mail address, too. (My secondary address that I use for more important stuff and don't give out as much is a GMail address, though.)

So, is one just plain old better than the rest--Outlook, Opera, Thunderbird etc? I would be willing to bet Thunderbird, being made by Mozilla.

Can they work with a standard Yahoo address?

As far as the email delivery system, incoming mail goes to a certain server, and outgoing mail travels to a different server? So there are SMTP and POP servers?
United States  Offline
Old 07-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
thread
Mad Warranty Voider

In some countries at least, using yahoo with POP/IMAP (I recommend the latter) requires a paid account. I saw this recently with a friend and was disappointed.

Last edited by thread; 07-08-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Australia  Offline
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 AM   #7
charlotte15
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeven View Post
TAt my primary email address, I am starting to get a lot of messages daily. Some of them I just want to mark as spam, but at times I actually read them. Anyways, it's getting to be somewhat of a hassle sorting through all my mail on a daily basis
You are right. Even in my email, I have received a lot of emails a day to the extent that I felt tired deleting them. Now, I just leave them as is. I dont want to update them any longer..been lazy to do.

Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply