EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
apw63
PWM heart rate

(Crimping guide) How to make a PWM fan splitter

Since I have not seen a crimping guide on EXTREME Overclocking Forums, I decided to make one. I normally make my own fan splitters. I have bought some in the past, but I prefer to make my own. I’m making this guide for information only, build splitters at your own risk.

Wire specs
Wire Gauge 22 AWG
Conductor Strand 7/30
Voltage 600V

Fan specs
I use NB-MultiframeŽ S-Series 120mm
Model M12-P
Size 120mm
Rated voltage 4.5-13.2V
Start voltage 4.5V
Input power voltage 2.64 Watt

PMW pin out info I did not use colored wire for my guide
Fan Connector Pinout and Wiring Colors

Pin Function Wire Color

1 GND Black
2 12 V Yellow
3 Sense Green
4 Control Blue

Why did I list fan and wire specs? When making splitters for multiple fans. The power load must be known to safely operate multiple fans. All motherboard and fan controllers have specific amounts of power that can be safely pulled from each channel/header. Some motherboards list total power per fan header, some list for all headers combined. Once you know how much power your motherboard or fan controller can handle. You can determine how many fans you can support per channel/header.
My fans have a starting voltage of 4.5V and input power voltage2.64 watts, one of my fans will pull 0.564 amps at startup. 22 AWG wire can safely handle 7 amps.

Tools

Crimper
Stripper

Parts
Male 4-Pin Fan Connector
Female 4-Pin Fan Connector
Male Shielded Fan Molex Connector Pins
Female Fan Molex Connector Pins
Wire Gauge 22 AWG

You only need to remove enough insulation so that the first arms can fold over the insulator and not the wire. The second sets of arms are for the wire.

It’s important to get the pin in the crimper correctly. You want to make sure that the little ears are outside of the front of the crimper.

Make sure the backend of the pin is just inside the backend of the crimper.

Make the first crimps, for a PMW Fan splitter only one (pin 3) sense wire is needed. I crimped the female oneperfect. When crimping the male one I got the wire pushed a little to far in to the pin. It will work just fine, it’s just not 100% perfect.

All of the other legs will require 1 GND (pin 1), 1 12V (pin 2) and 1 control (pin 4) for each. If you wish to make a 3 or 4 fan splitter I would suggest AWG 24 wire. With the AWG 22 wire you really can’t get any more than 2 wires in the crimp. Also I would suggest powering a 3 or 4 fan splitter from the PSU not the motherboard header. I will make a 3 fan splitter with PSU power connection in the near future. I will post pictures of that build.

Just make the rest of the legs and assemble.

This guide will apply to any PC wire crimping.

Andy

Last edited by apw63; 01-02-2012 at 09:41 PM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

A very good guide.

Thank you for pointing out the insulator needs to be crimped. For some reason in both the hardware world, and automotive world people always forget to crimp both the insulator and the conductor.
United States  Offline
Old 12-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
pckid9234
Extreme Overclocker

sweet guide +1
United States  Offline
Old 01-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
jwigeland
Need before Greed

GAH! I wish I'd seen this before I made all the custom power connectors for my graphics card. I only crimped the wire...
United States  Offline
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
killermodz
Its Christmas n July

You don't happen to have a link to that crimper do you? I always seem to need one at one point or another, but never manage to go and buy one, lol.
United States  Offline
Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
apw63
PWM heart rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by killermodz View Post
You don't happen to have a link to that crimper do you? I always seem to need one at one point or another, but never manage to go and buy one, lol.
I got mine here MDPC Crimping-Tool

Andy
United States  Offline
Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
jmossman
Evil or Divine?

Great guide. I've done most of my own crimping for a few years. It took some trial and error to figure it out, and crimping the insulator was one that took me a while to grasp. After that, it was smooth sailing. Really is tricky at first to not mangle the pins. Then again I didn't have a guide to help.
United States  Offline
Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Pierre
OC - It's FREE!

Nice Crimping Guide Andy!

So - Now I can 'easily' convert my fans to PWM headers on the mobo so that SpeedFan will actually be able to cool my systems more effectively here in Southern Arizona!

That's *HUGE* for me!

Great Job Andy...

Thank You!

Patrick
United States  Offline
Old 02-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
musicfan
ambient water-cooling

Excellent tutorial Andy!!! Thank you.
United States  Offline
Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
njs23
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Great Guide One question though

Great guide i just have one question. I have been trying to find a good place to purchase the molex pins and the connectors and what they are specifically called? The only place where i have found them because of my lack of technical terms was MDPC but they do not have the female connectors for the fans.
United States  Offline
Old 08-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
apw63
PWM heart rate

Shielded Fan Molex Connector Pins (Male)

Shielded Fan Molex Connector Pins (Female)

Fan Connectors

Andy
United States  Offline
Old 10-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

I'm about to do an order for some ATX female terminals from molex. Would there be any reason to pay the extra-overhead for gold plated pins if I don't plan on removing and plugging the cords in very often? From what I am aware of, the reason for going gold is that it's less reactive than other metals (doesn't oxidize or rust) and will maintain its ability to have a good contact after numerous 'unplug, replug' in events. Is this about right on my assumption?
United States  Offline
Old 10-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #13
apw63
PWM heart rate

IMO for this application I don't think it matters, it would be a personal preference.

Andy
United States  Offline
Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #14
jriker1
Running System Stock

Anyone know where you can now get MDPC crimpers? Looks like the site is on hiatus. I was looking at Lutro0 crimpers as well but they are also completely out of stock. I've seen these, but not sure if either are good:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Profe...ping-Tool.html
http://www.performance-pcs.com/delux...rimp-tool.html

Thanks.

JR
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
apw63
PWM heart rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriker1 View Post
Anyone know where you can now get MDPC crimpers? Looks like the site is on hiatus. I was looking at Lutro0 crimpers as well but they are also completely out of stock. I've seen these, but not sure if either are good:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Profe...ping-Tool.html
http://www.performance-pcs.com/delux...rimp-tool.html

Thanks.

JR
The ones you linked to will work just fine. The ones you get from MDPC are just setup and tested.

Andy
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply