EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
zeiz
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Linux on overclocked computer.

Hello everybody.
Had questions about Linux on overclocked machine so I came here and ... don't know how to ask: this forum looks like after Apocalypse: there are the locks like tombstones on almost every thread... did somebody executed here at admin's prompt # killall Linux?
Or it's new MS game?

Anyway the idea I came with is about to share our knowledge about overclocking in Linux/BSD environment.
I just tried and got not so good results with Fedora and Ubuntu while Win7 runs quite pertly on the same machine.
It is Phenom II x4 945 on Asus M3N78-vm with 2x2Gb Kingston Hyper X pc2-8500 ram in dual channel unganged.
Since my cpu is not BE and it's locked... I played with FSB and got pretty good results in Win7x32bit at 260MHz, I got 3.64GHz cpu and 1040MHz ram with overvoltages 150mv and 300mv respectively.
However my both Linuxes Fedora 17x64 and Ubuntu 12.04x64 started showing weird things with getting worse from session to session. All the troubles point to usb problem in both distros so it's a hardware issue (ram?).
Currently I returned my machine to stock settings to see if I fried something on the mobo.
What's your experience, guys?
Thanks.
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
awc26
Blargh!

I kept mine Overclocked for a while, but brought it back to stock for the summer. I haven't bothered to OC it back up (haven't had the time). I might take the time to OC it after the holidays, but I think not.

The fastest stable overclock I had is in my sig. 4.01 GHz (Phenom II 965 BE)
Canada  Offline
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
xdownsetx
Menior Sember

If the overclock is stable then you shouldn't have any issues on either windows or linux.

As a rule of thumb thought, if I'm compiling something I always run stock settings.
United States  Offline
Old 12-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

Yeah, I used a 55% overclock on a water cooled Brisbane for years. It was much faster in Arch Linux than other distros. However, I prefer Fedora and have been in the game since Redhat 7 and Suse 7.3.

I've seen Linux do a lot of things that Windows cannot. I am surprised to hear of your bad luck.
United States  Offline
Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
UNIXgod
god of UNIX

I OCed both funtoo and FreeBSD. funtoo/gentoo seemed a bit more tolerant to it. As with anything make sure your compile settings for make are taking advantage of all your cores. Use memory file systems for caches where you can simply because they are fast; and don't need to thrash a ssd if you run one. Video and audio conversions are a fun bechmark to attempt. Tripping up flash cookies with softlinks are a good hack =)
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply