EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Cases, Case Accessories, Case Modding

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Ichikawa
Overclocker

I want to get some foam for the inner case to dampen the sounds, is there anything...

I wanted to get some foams for the inner case to dampen the sounds, but just wandering is there anything I can use from home cleaning products or a type clothing material that could be used instead of foams....

Thanks
Australia  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
lexandro
VIGILO CONFIDO

Denim. No joke. Its a good sound dampener when layered. Even seen some cars come with sound dampening panels made from denim. Though I would be wary putting any fabric inside the case due to static issues.
Scotland  Offline
Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Ive used closed cell foam in a previous case to muffle it down. Made a decent job. Ive used the foam out of a camping sleeping pad. It literally was a roll of gray smooth foam, about 3/8" thick, about as large as a sleeping bag. It was cheap, too. Its soft so you can overlap the foam on the fan so you can screw the fan through the foam, and it will serve as a vibration dampener as well.

I think it was that: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/es...l#.UtlhFo0o7Qc

edit: I even used it behind my motherboard. Depending on the cases it will or won't fit, due to the spacers height. No static issues.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
BigE4u
Yessss!

Heres a cheaper way of doing it yourself, find laminate underlay foam from your local hardware store, its non adhesive, so use double sided tape to secure it inside the case.

link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG10ks8PLQ4
United States  Offline
Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

Dynamat works really well.

Also FYI anything that insulates sound will also insulate heat.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 01-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
chartiet
"What did he say...?"

egg cartons or the cardboard flats in between the large crates/cardboard boxes of eggs
United States  Offline
Old 01-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Tomek
Just Monkeying Around

I've used thick, medium density egg foam before, and got some results.

Higher frequencies need higher density material for damping, and vise versa.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
BlastMaster
Old Soldier

I have used this:
http://www.moddiy.com/products/modDI...FeJF7AodkV4AZg

I have also used sheets of both closed and open celled foam. You can get weather stripping with pre-applied adhesive stripping at most hardware stores. This sheet foam from DIY is simpler and cheaper than dynamat, but it will hold heat in your PC so use at your own risk.

If you've ever sealed a boat trailer tail/light you may have used stuff like this too:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-03584-Profe...m_sbs_indust_4

The spray I've never tried but I have used a couple different types of sheet foam for peltiers, water chillers, and sound deadeners. Work with delta 80mm fans and you'll do anything to make the system quieter.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply