EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Email & Instant Messengers

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Using personal domain e-mails on multiple devices

My girlfriend has her own website, and with the hosting comes a bunch of e-mail options. So, we originally set her an e-mail, and made her Gmail retrieve those.

The issue is that, when Gmail retrieve those mails, they do not delete themselves on the server. (Actually I just found a Gmail setting that would make it delete the mails on the server after being retrieved... but that's not the point of this post)

Is there a way to use her own e-mail instead of depending on Gmail for everything? It's easy to use on Gmail right now, but she pays for the domain, she might as well use it...

She uses one computer, an Android smartphone and soon a Surface tablet. So she'd like a solution that could be used from any of those, and if possible, from anywhere.

Through her cpanel she has access to a few webmail "apps", but it takes quite a bit of shuffling to go there. They're also not the most polished kind (except for Roundcube which looks nice).

TL;DR: Gf has her own domain with 2-3 e-mails set up there, and currently fetches those through her Gmail account. Is there a way to get rid of the Gmail while having dedicated access to her domain e-mails on multiple devices?
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Urbanfox
I Regret Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
My girlfriend has her own website, and with the hosting comes a bunch of e-mail options. So, we originally set her an e-mail, and made her Gmail retrieve those.

The issue is that, when Gmail retrieve those mails, they do not delete themselves on the server. (Actually I just found a Gmail setting that would make it delete the mails on the server after being retrieved... but that's not the point of this post)

Is there a way to use her own e-mail instead of depending on Gmail for everything? It's easy to use on Gmail right now, but she pays for the domain, she might as well use it...

She uses one computer, an Android smartphone and soon a Surface tablet. So she'd like a solution that could be used from any of those, and if possible, from anywhere.

Through her cpanel she has access to a few webmail "apps", but it takes quite a bit of shuffling to go there. They're also not the most polished kind (except for Roundcube which looks nice).

TL;DR: Gf has her own domain with 2-3 e-mails set up there, and currently fetches those through her Gmail account. Is there a way to get rid of the Gmail while having dedicated access to her domain e-mails on multiple devices?
Set up the emails with her domain name with Google Business. Same gmail interface and hosting, but her domain name.
United States  Offline
Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanfox View Post
Set up the emails with her domain name with Google Business. Same gmail interface and hosting, but her domain name.
That'd mean she would have to re-create her e-mails... sort of. even tho she could probably use her current e-mail adresses.

Besides she already has her own e-mail hosting. If possible I'd like to keep it that way. But it seems like Gmail is the only easy way to use e-mails across different devices nowadays...
Canada  Offline
Old 03-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
@dmin
Crash and Burn

Quote:
That'd mean she would have to re-create her e-mails... sort of. even tho she could probably use her current e-mail adresses.

Besides she already has her own e-mail hosting. If possible I'd like to keep it that way. But it seems like Gmail is the only easy way to use e-mails across different devices nowadays...
The Host should have IMAP server information available. Depending on how it's setup will determine if the the sent folders are sync'd across accounts. That's not a common feature though.
United States  Online
Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

I have IMAP available for incoming.

Also in the e-mail configuration page I have this note:
Quote:
Notes:
  • IMAP email access coordinates between the server and your mail application. Messages that have been read/deleted/replied to will show up as such, both on the server and in the mail application.
  • POP3 does not coordinate with the server. Messages marked as read/deleted/replied to in the mail application will not show up as such on the server. This means that future mail downloads with POP3 will show all messages as unread.
  • Outgoing mail is sent using SMTP.
  • We recommend using POP3 over SSL/TLS or IMAP over SSL/TLS since they provide increased security for your interactions with the remote mail server.
Judging from this, could I set up email software on computers and devices using IMAP protocols, so everything would be sync'ed together?

It seems like Android natively supports IMAP for mails.

I think IMAP might just be what I was looking for....
Canada  Offline
Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
I have IMAP available for incoming.

Also in the e-mail configuration page I have this note:

Judging from this, could I set up email software on computers and devices using IMAP protocols, so everything would be sync'ed together?

It seems like Android natively supports IMAP for mails.

I think IMAP might just be what I was looking for....
IMAP is great if it works for your needs, depending on the platforms and multiple devices there can be issues. I had both gmail and hosted exchange and it took forever to sync mail, my primary issues stemed when deleting or moving items to/from folders on different devices or clients. My mail client of choice is Outlook because of work so I ended up migrating to an Office365 small business subscription.

It is a shared exchange hosting and allowed a much more fluid syncing across all my devices and clients, I haven't looked back since. It costs 6$/mo per user (5$ if you pay a year at a time) and you can input multiple aliases with your domain, I recommend taking a look or seeing if your hosting company offers an exchange option if the IMAP doesn't work out for you.

Last edited by Spartacus; 03-27-2014 at 08:17 PM.
United States  Online
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply