EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Cases, Case Accessories, Case Modding

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 08-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

So it begins G5 case mod for intel board!

TBF the G5 is a well mapped out case for its proprietary parts!
Issues where to stick the 200mm rad which does not fit into the case at all?
Suggestions where bellow hidden and clearance is good on a flat surface below the cases feet.

United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Subbed to see how it goes. My gf loves Macs but rocks a PC for her daily work and might want something like that! I always liked those cases.
Canada  Offline
Old 08-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Started to remove the back plate from the very old tower, but it fit well on the old G31 board. Removed about 10 rivets that held on to the back plate

Took off three risers only because some of them might some in handy to be still attached to the case for cable routing purposes.

Slight blip thought I didn't need to gut the top section but ended up doing it after to establish clearance with mother board tray possible PSU re-allocation

United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Next was removing the PCI slot brackets as this was causing me problems in establishing clearance of the mother board tray. Chisel and rubber hammer comes in handy! You can prise off the grill and hear it creek as the adhesive comes off.
I was going to reuse it, but the height difference for my tray and board would have caused problems later!
TBF with the time spent on this I would have liked to have a expensive upto date MOBO but hey ho recycled parts it is

Cutting the MOBO tray to fit into the case was next took off about three inches just to make it look tidy! Please use a Dremel not a jigsaw evil things quick, but not neat two discs later!

Next was to find the original risers in the case and drill some holes to mount the MOBO tray! Its easy when you know how just get a piece of paper, tape it onto the back of the tray then push hard so the paper gets an imprint of the riser for reference so you know exactly where they are! I did this twice to save time having to re-drill too many holes the four risers on the original case came in handy no epoxy or resin to mess up the case!

Four tiny screws for the MOBO to be secured onto the case risers nice and tight! The advantage of this is I can adjust the height with spacers or washers if need be!

Additional Comment:

I'm in two minds about the back plate use most of it or de-revit the I/O and PCI slots then build the surround casing with Alu with holes? Haven't decided, but it makes the difference of cutting too much rather than too little. I'm going to cut the PSU away from the whole section first to judge what aesthetics would go well on this build.
Some advice from you peeps would be good around about now ?

Last edited by clipperjay; 08-11-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Waiting on some parts and tools to come this week, but managed to get the old back plate and tray to sit right.
Leaving that aside I got bored so decided to check out the Power supply unit here! Its clean now but it had 11 years off dust in the casing the design by apply looks like it was not the sort of thing you would take out regular to clean and the lower cage acts like a vacuum collecting unit. TBF if you own a G5 I recommend you take the PSU out just for clean because if it wasn't for those massive heat sinks you would have a small fire due to those dusty balls catching fire!

I needed to cut down the PSU as its too high but re purposed the cut side to mount for better air flow on the otherside.
Remember to always draw little diagrams of which pin to which socket. I've still got to get rid of some Molex plugs, and braid the wires together, but essentially its nearly there!
Also a good tip is to test continuity of the socket and wires before you shrink wrap or braid otherwise you waste another twenty minutes De-soildering the wires.

Last edited by clipperjay; 08-13-2014 at 07:54 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Problems I've come across is the fans wanted to mount them on the inside of the PSU but they are just about 2mm too think and clash with the PSU casing. The reasoning was so I could free up the space for a long rad and fans!

United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

Looking good so far.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 08-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksilver View Post
Looking good so far.
Thanks Mate thought this was going to be a lonely thread

As you can see everything lines up nice, but I need to make a external plate for the outside hence waiting for some materials to arrive.
I've already gone through four Dremel cutting discs had to order more on the last disc!
Decided to keep the DH bays where they are. They are very functional and can hold two drives which is enough this system.
I'm considering a touch sensor pad for the DVD drive as you physically cannot open it from the outside, but its not in keeping with the recycling Ethos I was aiming for.
Learning how to sheath cabling never had the need to do it, but got given some much of the stuff thought it would come in handy on this build.
I'm working on the PSU on and off switch as I don't know why Apply never put one on the back? I've got to extend four wires and cut a small square for the switch mount on the grill. TBF the cabling is whats going to take the most time so many extra Molex, connectors to unsoilder and unpin

Additional Comment:

Not much done due to the stupid pins on the ATX connector you know what next time I'm buying them

My tools and parts are slowly arriving so moving it along.

.......But I've only done 12 pins and I'm bored of it. This is the first attempt at it looks okay, but getting the hang of it after 12 pins worth of de-pinning, cutting, shrink wrap, sheathing and re-pinning. Still have the underside to do but only if I have nothing better else to do! You can see the shrink wrap I cut are different lengths not even enough TBF.

Started cutting for the switch on the PSU, made a plate surround but lost it in the sea of parts. Everything is coming together so it seems.
I've realised planning goes out of the window as you go along you find better methods of working, takes more time but it looks better!

Last edited by clipperjay; 08-14-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
PommieB
Overclocker

Interesting project, reminds me of the old days.
Australia  Offline
Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #10
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Quote:
Originally Posted by PommieB View Post
Interesting project, reminds me of the old days.
Yeah the old days miss them aswell!
But this is about using parts laying around and recycling

I've worked out that the Appely has an eight EPS connector from the PSU to all HD's and one Molex for the drive, so to save and reuse the existing wires I've got an old EPS adapter to TWO Molex feeds which fit nicely on the new PSU connectors.
Not sure if this will work, but continuity tells me the Molex at the end matches the feed. This is a question for the PSU boffs there are TWO Molex feeds so assuming the EPS needs two separate feeds to ensure no overloading on one Molex with two connectors attached correct?

I plan on feeding power to the Fans at the top with a split two Molex from one so one to the DVD and the other to the FANS at the top? Should be enough juice(2x5V) to do two fans and DVD right????

Not sure about the Alu plate surround it looks clean enough just on the grill?

Cut the back plate and made one error small one but didn't get enough coffee I'm guessing or the masking tape fault
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Not much done this weekend had to work, but got a few things done trimmed down the fan mount so now fitting nicely. The EPS 8 pin connector cable is nicely sheathed.
Going to plan on stepping down the voltage on the rears and the front to about 7-9volts, but haven't converted the wires yet! Might even go down variable transistor mod.
The Front Power panel is a right pain the pinouts are complicated, but have worked it all out done the USB and it needs an extension I'm only about an inch from the USB pins on the Mobo, but an extension will do saves me re- soldering another set of pins!
Firewire next, but my Mobo doesn't have Firewire.
The power panel utilises the Firewire ground to switch. So I'll make up a cable and bridge the ground to the shielded USB ground just to by pass this Appley problem. Another way would to just jumper the ground right to a ground on the Mobo which I've already found. I might do this as the Mobo can be upgraded without the hassle for the future mods.
Also managed to relocate the PSU fans inside the housing it frees up so much space!
I've ordered more materials to finish off the back panel and some tools I needed anyway, will make the job much easier TBF.
Trying to stick to the rewiring but I find micro surgery boring if I'm doing it for hours so it should all be done as and when parts and bit come in!

United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
kwiksilver
Super Moderator

Man I really f*cking hated wiring up that power panel on mine. I raged for days until I dug up the grounding issue you mentioned. This was before there were alot of guides for that case.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Quote:
Man I really f*cking hated wiring up that power panel on mine. I raged for days until I dug up the grounding issue you mentioned. This was before there were alot of guides for that case.
LOL yeah sinking feeling! TBF if I bunch the whole GND to one it should be okay, but the tiny pins can't handle more than one wire!

Anyhoot not done much started cleaning up the rear to get away from wiring.
I'm in two minds about a stainless surround for the rough Alu edges I think a little filing and some paint will match nicely and use some rivets to secure it on.
I'll think on that one?

Started to think about Molex, two, and three pin power supplies for my fans. Most of the fans run from 17-21amps so got to allocate the right type of voltage and amps draw.
If the 300w can't handle it I might have to find a low profile PSU around 500w to butcher up. I did do a trial run in another case but I've added four more fans to this build not that I need it, but future upgrades might aswell just do it now.

United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Most of the wiring is now completed I'm nearly ready for Failing testing! Tidied up most of the wires that I could but could do with some Sata data cables in black to the HD's!
I did have a PSU switch go on me the neutral side was not switching took me awhile before I realised so de-soldered and started again.
The fans are next, but I'm waiting for parts to arrive so hopefully they will run nice under variable speed limiters.
Managed to cut the fans surround on the chassis, but still needs fettling to fit properly I did under cut the circumference so it would fit tighter afterwards.
Changed the DVD player over to a newer re-writer version, but need to modify the button to an external front panel.
In two minds about paint as I know grounds are important, will be painting the new back grill once it fits perfect!
Last thing which I haven't thought about, is the water cooling system for now. As long as I can get things stable and run right I'll be a happy man!

United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
kwiksilver
Super Moderator

Looking really good so far!
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 08-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #16
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Thanks Kwiksilver Had a TWO issues with the system!
I expected over the last week of wiring something had gone wrong!
1) The EPS 8 pin adapter for SATA Power is all wrong, school boy error should have not assumed the cable's pin out was correct in the first place.
Its always the simple things that go a rye.
Easy enough to sort though I've just worked out the SATA ATX pin out and need to re-arranged the pins to match the EPS adapter.
To prove it actually posted I used the Stock Molex from the PSU to power the HD's and DVD and presto booted right into Win7 no problems I'll do a screenie at some point!
2) The wiring for the little light on the power button does not light up when it boots up the Power cable is two pin according to most people this is fine?
If I reverse the polarity on the cable the computer does not post when power button is pushed (BUT HAVE THE LED LIGHT ON IN THE CASE CONSTANT)
So the issues are that somewhere I should have made another PWR Cable feed but reversed one of the grounds to activate the light?
What I don't understand is that the cables people buy pre-made only run one PWR cable?
So either my MOBO needs the two cable system or I did something wrong but everything else works perfectly?
Any suggestions or advice?

Ordered five fan Molex's with connector so hopefully most double 12V feeds will be created to run the stock Apple fans!

Last edited by clipperjay; 08-24-2014 at 02:17 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #17
kwiksilver
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperjay View Post
2) The wiring for the little light on the power button does not light up when it boots up the Power cable is two pin according to most people this is fine?
If I reverse the polarity on the cable the computer does not post when power button is pushed (BUT HAVE THE LED LIGHT ON IN THE CASE CONSTANT)
Sounds like something is wired incorrectly. Mine never had that issue.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #18
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Quote:
Sounds like something is wired incorrectly. Mine never had that issue.
Yeah I can't bear to strip it down again. I can live without a light unless I solider a new wire direct to the LED on the circuit!
The rear fans are giving me so much grief it looks like two phase power two 5V feeds and one 12V feed, but can't get the dam thing to run!
I understand why people took generic fans took out the bearings and just fitted them to the housing its crazy as each fan needs four separate feeds with some connected just to run right. You don't have the pinout Kwiksilver? I've got one, but it doesn't work its too time consuming using various combinations I did think the RPM's two pinouts have to be connected to the GND at somepoint?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #19
kwiksilver
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperjay View Post
Yeah I can't bear to strip it down again. I can live without a light unless I solider a new wire direct to the LED on the circuit!
The rear fans are giving me so much grief it looks like two phase power two 5V feeds and one 12V feed, but can't get the dam thing to run!
I understand why people took generic fans took out the bearings and just fitted them to the housing its crazy as each fan needs four separate feeds with some connected just to run right. You don't have the pinout Kwiksilver? I've got one, but it doesn't work its too time consuming using various combinations I did think the RPM's two pinouts have to be connected to the GND at somepoint?
I just checked my notes in evernote and I found this.

Code:
Back fans for G5

rpm (fan1), 5v (red), 12v yellow, ground (black), rpm (fan2), 5v (red)
EDIT: later in my notes I found you can substitute RPM for ground but the fans run LOUD at full 12v. I ended up swapping the fans out for other 90/92mm fans.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 08-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #20
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Quote:
I just checked my notes in evernote and I found this.

Code:
Back fans for G5

rpm (fan1), 5v (red), 12v yellow, ground (black), rpm (fan2), 5v (red)
EDIT: later in my notes I found you can substitute RPM for ground but the fans run LOUD at full 12v. I ended up swapping the fans out for other 90/92mm fans.
Yeah I've got the same pinout not working for me I think there is a power chip on the fan board and Apple use the switching power to lower volts to control the RPM's.

The flow from my 120's is strong being Panaflow ones and TBF don't even need rear fans, but I've cut the holes now LOL!
I'll try and find some 90-92mm fans and take them out to fit into the original housing.

Additional Comment:

Hello everyone!
Project is drawing to an end feeling sad, but still loads to do!

Picture for reference for those who are considering to reuse the Apple fans!

My handy little clothes peg holds the braiding away whilst I solider!

I'm keeping both fans as I like HD fans and the little mobo blower on the back!

I used an old enamel can of paint and have to say its too dark so I might respray it more silver like the orignal but from a distance its not too bad TBF.

Started to map out the wires and work out the best placement for them!

Looks messy but most of them will go behind the mobo mounting plate for sure.

I got these little beauties (Noctua) through the post today and worked about 12.00 each for the 92mm replacements.
I think my orignal rear apple fans had something wrong with them? But at 92mm I was expecting them to be too loud for the case without stepdown in voltages!
These are static pressure ones I think and TBF I could have bought stock fans, but I was cornered as these are the only 92mm fans that are Grey to match the case LOL
The cables are braided not my taste, but neat and tidy also black to boot!

Still need to replace the 8pin EPS adapter and rivet the panels, might be awhile as I have to go away on a trip for a few days stay cool!

Last edited by clipperjay; 08-28-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply