EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Cases, Case Accessories, Case Modding

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 09-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

Arrow CaseLabs SMH10 or SMA8 for next case?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing the SMH10 or the SMA8, and as you can imagine with their price tag I'm unsure and nervous as to which to choose. No issues with the price I just want to make sure I select what I really want. I'm looking for something that can handle two to three waterloops. Most likely two but I might do a third.

My questions, with these two cases, how does the PSU mount, what options are there, and how will I integrate the bottom chamber with two radiators, or should I do a front rad and bottom rad?

I plan to do a reversed layout E-ATX format, as I Like the PC on the left side of my desk. The next system I build will be overkill, but it's been 7 years since I've built a computer, the last one was the AMD phenom (first edition, then upgraded to a phenII 940) setup with 4GB DDR2 and a 5850 ATI (Did have 2x3870's, but the 5850 by itself is more powerful than two 3870's). I'll miss this computer when I retire it, but it's getting old, slow and needs to be replaced. Plus I've had the Lian Li V2000B for 12 years and I'm kind of over it.

What extra items and accessories should I purchase along with the case in the way of mounting and cords? I plan to have possibly two mirrored SSDs and a few 2-4TB HDDs for data storage. I'm going to get the 5960X intel CPU along with 16gb or 32gb of DDR4, though I'm planning on waiting until January to make the purchase (allows me to spend money on case-watercooling setup and then save and spend on hardware), hopefully DDR4 and the motherboards will have dropped in price. I don't think the CPU will ever go down in price...

This will be a fun project, ultimately I want to build a computer that can outlast this computer that's made it to 7 years and still plays games like Assassin's Creed 4 and Dead Space 3, while being able to also compute data from NMR, Infrared spectroscopy and gas chromatography MS. I'm getting into chemistry and biochemistry so I do plan on doing a lot of work and data analysis on my personal machine. I am also big into DSLR photography and I work with RAW photos, so a decent GPU is needed. Not sure if I should check out the E-xeon line or not considering the load of work I do but I'll ask that later when I start building...

I don't plan on using the top part for a radiator, but rather an exhaust (hot air rises, might as well exhaust it), though I'm wondering is it a good idea to put two radiators down below, either sucking in w/ an exhaust or blowing out w/ an intake so they don't suck in heat?

Anyway thanks for the ideas and help, the sooner I can get my mind made up on the case the better, means I can get her ordered and put together!
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 09-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Looking at both cases, the psu, is bottom mount only. Make sure when you order the case, that you do get radiator mounts. Having a top mounted radiator is best, it will be easier to drain. You can do push/pull with the fans, so you can exhaust air. You will need more than one rad to coll both the cpu, and gpu. Right now, AMD has the best bang for the buck in terms of gpu horse power, and vram.
United States  Offline
Old 09-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

Yeah I was figuring if I wanted to do both radiators in the lower half I'd have to do either two medium, one long and one short, or something similar as far as radiators, if I want the PSU to fit.
United States  Offline
Old 09-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Witchdoctor
"Think"

CaseLabs rock
Hard to make a bad choice
I did a lot of research prior to buying mine
Make sure you do your homework so you know what you need to order to make it go together the way you intend

Don't hesitate to call they will walk you through it great group of guys over there

Look forward to a build log as these cases are the perfect platform to build on
Second to none IMO
United States  Offline
Old 09-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

I ordered the SMA8, I'm happy with the reverse layout format (I ordered that style) because I usually have my case to my left (though to the right would be nice because I tend to work to the left, I figure once I get a larger place I won't have the case under the desk anymore. However I don't know if that's a good idea or not, as the desk makes a great beer-spillage protector for the computer...

I need to figure out a layout, I'm going to do a double loop, though I don't know if one loop will have two rads or not. I don't think a 560 rad will fit, only 480's and smaller.
United States  Offline
Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
apw63
PWM heart rate

Welcome to the Caselabs owners club.

Andy
United States  Offline
Old 09-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

I forgot to ask before I ordered if I should have grabbed the SSI-CEB tray or the ATX for an E-ATX board. Will that matter?
United States  Offline
Old 09-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
apw63
PWM heart rate

I think the default tray is atx. You should have time to call and make sure. You would want the atx tray for atx-e. I would still call and verify

Andy
United States  Offline
Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

They said the standard tray is fine for the E-ATX! Woohooo! All is good. Now I just need to figure out what 560mm radiator to do and how to set up my loop or loops. Currently I'll be running a single 295x2, (unless they release a 395x2 series) and an overclocked 5960x, and possibly the chipset. This will also make my rad setup change, can I do that all on a single loop for the moment, and when I get another 295x2, I can bump it to two loops?
United States  Offline
Old 09-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
apw63
PWM heart rate

Good to hear default tray is the one you needed.

You can do all of that on one loop. It all comes down to how much total RAD surface area you have, and if your pump(s) can push thought all of the restrictions. With a case the size of the SMA8 it would be a shame not to do dual loops, that's just my opinion. Add up your TDPs and that will get you started in the right (RAD surface area) direction. DDC style pumps for restricted loops and D5 pumps for when high flow rates are needed.

Andy
United States  Offline
Old 09-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #11
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

If I do rigid tubing, I would want to make sure I cut down as much as possible on 90's right? Another thing I was curious about, for an overclocked 5960x and an overclocked 295x2 both on water, what size surface area would I want when crunching, and with what radiators? I Need to figure out whether I want to do a single fan or a push/pull dual fan setup. Will I have space to do a push/pull on a 60mm in the SMA8 if I want to do one on each side? Or should I drop down to a 30mm or 45mm radiator? I wanted to do a 280mm in a flexbay, and then have another 280mm in the lower compartment along with the 560 if needed.
United States  Offline
Old 09-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #12
apw63
PWM heart rate

Ok you have a lot beginner water cooling question. I would strongly recommend you go to the water cooling section and read musicfans beginner water cooling guide & his water cooling parts buying guide.. Reading both of those will get you a great base of knowledge we can build on.

Andy
United States  Offline
Old 09-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #13
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

Not really beginner. Everything changed from 7 years ago is all. Now you guys are using rigid tubing, videocard waterblocks are better designed, radiators have become the least restrictive part of the loop, etc.
United States  Offline
Old 09-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
apw63
PWM heart rate

Ok not beginner just out of circulation. At stock volts your 5960x has a TDP of 140w, your 295x2 at stock volts has 500w. So at a min you will have to remove 640w of heat. As a rule of thumb for a quite running system. 120mm of RAD surface area will remove 125w of heat. Using that rule of thumb you would need at a min 600mm and some change of RAD area. The guides have all the tech data and links in them.

Andy
United States  Offline
Old 09-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

Awesome so it looks like a tri-setup will have enough space And more haha.
United States  Offline
Old 09-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #16
Witchdoctor
"Think"

If overclocking

You will need a quad for the CPU, minimum.

These things are burring Single stage units

The card I would say 2x quads

Based on the premise you will be pushing this hardware
United States  Offline
Old 09-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #17
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

So two 280's and a 560 should suffice? (That's equal to two 560's technically). Both will be overclocked. Depending on the room I might do a 420 down below instead of a 280, but again that depends on the room. I might try for a 420 uptop, but I do want room for my blu ray burner.

Additional Comment:

I've begun measuring things. I've ordered a 560mm rad mount for the side and a 420mm rad mount for the flexbay. I'm using a caliper to measure to the exact mm, it looks like I'll have about 85mm of space between the outer panel and the flex bay for radiator and fans, though this will vary/depend upon how the radiator mount attaches.

Do you have any specs on that? I won't get the mount until tuesday/wednesday (most likely tuesday, LA is a 9 hour drive from Reno).

Last edited by DRT-Maverick; 09-14-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 09-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #18
apw63
PWM heart rate

My case is the Mercury S8 so I'm not 100% sure about your case RAD mount configuration. I"m using XSPC RX360 RADs. The RADs are approximately 60mm thick. If you are wondering about a push pull configuration. My case could easily do push pull with 60mm RADs and 25MM fans. I would assume your case should be able to support push pull. Hope this helps.

Andy
United States  Offline
Old 09-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #19
DRT-Maverick
Overclocking Earwigs

Yes, well the thing is I'm going to do a large rad in the flex bays And lower chamber, so I need toget the measurements exact to ensure i don't have any impedence or collisions going on when installing the radiators. I was wondering between the side panel and the side-radiator mount, how big of a fan can you mount? 38mm or 25mm? If 25mm, I can fit a wider rad in the lower chamber.
United States  Offline
Old 09-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #20
apw63
PWM heart rate

For my case and I assume that all 120mm flex bay RAD mounts are the same. The thickness of the RAD dose not matter. The RAD mounts to the backside of the flex bay. The space between the grill and the inside flex bay RAD mount is approximately 30mm. The thickness of the RAD will only effect internally mounted components in the case. Hope this is the info you are looking for.

Edit: I need to read more type less. The width of the RAD will be dictated by the width of the flex bay. If the flex bay is for 120mm fans or 140mm fans then it seems pretty self explanatory. There are only a few RAD widths available. I have not gone back to Caselabs website but off the top of my head I think they are all 120mm. I think your best info is going to be from the horses mouth, call Caselabs.

Andy

Last edited by apw63; 09-17-2014 at 07:46 AM.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply