EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Off Topic / General Chat (No Post Increase) > Member's Showcase

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-16-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
The Dude
I ❤ 7

My workstation / rig pics

After the shenanigans of the past couple weeks that had my head spinning (catv/isp interruptions, psu emf's, mom broke her heel, etc...) I finally got a chance to sit down for some benching this morning.

I'm experiencing a sort of second golden age of computing if you will, reminds me of when I first got into overclocking and customizing pc's... not quite as exciting maybe, but still a great feeling.

All this has me eager to share pics of my setup, so here goes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1917 eocf.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	172559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1926 eocf.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	172565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929 eocf.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	172566   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1932 eocf.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	172567   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1934 eocf.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	172568  

Name:	IMG_1940 eocf.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	172569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1941 eocf.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	172570  
United States  Online
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Nice, just fyi I don't think this drive is doing much work or is that one of those top of the line wireless hard drives :P

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drive.png
Views:	107
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	172585  
United States  Offline
Old 04-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Lol, that's one of my backup/ offline drives. I like to leave it unconnected in the event of surges or psu explosions... It's mostly images and old downloads, software and such.
United States  Online
Old 04-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

I understand fully what you mean about the golden age of overclocking. lts funny as you get older and have more money how you can buy better parts, but do not put them through the paces like when your younger and poorer trying to squeeze out every ounce of performance...

Yet, that urge is still there to get some more bang for your buck. My main rig became my workstation at the office for CAD (and internet access when logged into a restricted VPN on the customer end on the work laptop) I still have the urge to clock it... just a little.
United States  Offline
Old 04-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

I think you may need to clean your fans.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
The Dude
I ❤ 7

No case window equals no micro brush cleaning ftw. I use compressed air to get the majority of the dust that makes it past the case filters out, but over the years some of the fans develop a "tackier" very fine dust that won't come off with air alone. I don't have forced air hvac in my house so there is not much room air filtration to speak of. That combined with lots of natural fiber furnishings and an open kitchen and lots of cooking creates the sticky fine dust that's hard to remove from plastics. It's actually one of the main reasons I went with a windowless case with mesh filtration. Still has fantastic airflow though ;-)
United States  Online
Old 04-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
No case window equals no micro brush cleaning ftw. I use compressed air to get the majority of the dust that makes it past the case filters out, but over the years some of the fans develop a "tackier" very fine dust that won't come off with air alone. I don't have forced air hvac in my house so there is not much room air filtration to speak of. That combined with lots of natural fiber furnishings and an open kitchen and lots of cooking creates the sticky fine dust that's hard to remove from plastics. It's actually one of the main reasons I went with a windowless case with mesh filtration. Still has fantastic airflow though ;-)
But you posted pictures We need to critique the build.
That crap will eat up your fan bearings eventually and they will start to make a bunch of noise.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 04-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #8
The Dude
I ❤ 7

I'm not offended kwik, thanks for the input. Trust me, I don't like looking at it either. I often envy the super clean "design forward" type of builds, I just don't have time to obsess over the details these days. Did you ever see the air filtration housing I built for my rads? It's not currently in use but I'll post some pics later. I have "someday" plans for a desk build which will get it's supply air only after going through a furnace filter. That could be years off though, kids and small business/real estate investing eats most of my time these days. There you have it, my life story...
United States  Online
Old 06-12-2017, 12:45 AM   #9
danthompsett
Resistance is Futile

How do you load software or play dvd or blu ray films etc... without any 5.25" ROM Drives? lol must literally do everything by download or via USB
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #10
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Yep, all usb and d/l. I have a bluray / dvd combo drive in my htpc. I do keep a spare dvd combo around in the event I need to make a disk or load some obscenely old software though. It only takes a few minutes to hook it up, although for the life of me I don't think I've ever installed anything from dvd since I got that system built.
United States  Online
Old 06-13-2017, 05:33 AM   #11
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Yep, all usb and d/l. I have a bluray / dvd combo drive in my htpc. I do keep a spare dvd combo around in the event I need to make a disk or load some obscenely old software though. It only takes a few minutes to hook it up, although for the life of me I don't think I've ever installed anything from dvd since I got that system built.
You probably could share your DVD/BD from your HTPC across the network and use this on your workstation. I originally got this idea from the first batch of Macs without a DVD drive (Mac Minis I think?) that had instructions and available software to share the DVD drive from another Mac or Windows computer across the network. I gave it a try using regular Windows sharing toward another computer and while it worked for installing most software and games, it wouldn't work for running games as it was seeing the CD contents, but could not emulate the fact that it was a CD drive.

I have not used an internal DVD drive for like... 5+ years. I do have an USB slim one which I (almost) never use on my personal computer. Windows goes through an USB3 flash drive, old games are copied over from old installations, new games are bought online. Only thing the DVD drive is used for is for burning music and diagnostic disks lol.
Canada  Offline
Old 06-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #12
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
You probably could share your DVD/BD from your HTPC across the network and use this on your workstation. I originally got this idea from the first batch of Macs without a DVD drive (Mac Minis I think?) that had instructions and available software to share the DVD drive from another Mac or Windows computer across the network. I gave it a try using regular Windows sharing toward another computer and while it worked for installing most software and games, it wouldn't work for running games as it was seeing the CD contents, but could not emulate the fact that it was a CD drive.

I have not used an internal DVD drive for like... 5+ years. I do have an USB slim one which I (almost) never use on my personal computer. Windows goes through an USB3 flash drive, old games are copied over from old installations, new games are bought online. Only thing the DVD drive is used for is for burning music and diagnostic disks lol.
yeah we used to do that a lot back in the days on Windows 3.x/9x/etc because back then optical drives (even regular CDROM drives) were expensive.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply