EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Air Cooling

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-30-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
element72
Learning To Overclock

Cooler Master sickle fans keep dying. What is wrong?

I have my computer running almost 24/7 every year. I use 8 Cooler Master sickle fans. I have had probably 6 die on me these past few years (cpu + case fans). Right now I am going to switch brands because it is crazy how they die right after the warranty. I was only successful with one to die days before the warranty. Probably only saved a dollar or so, lmao.

Maybe someone here can explain what is going on. I also have all my fans except the CPU fan, connected to a fan controller. I feel like the 3 fans that died just now actually have stiff bearings. I don't know if you could say they died because 3 of them all have their LED still lit. I kind of spun one of them, and it automatically started spinning again, while occasional small slow downs. I tapped the other one next to it, and stutters, but doesn't spin. The 3rd one doesn't spin from touching it or removing some of the dust off it.

I'm switching brands to the Arctic f12, and then if those fail, i'll go for Noctua or something equivalent that doesn't have poop colors, lol. But I'm buying 2 more Cooler Master fans; the jetflo model. This is my last faith in Cooler Master fans.

In conclusion, I am hoping that a better designed bearing might fix this underlining issue.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

If you crank the fan controller's speed, do they spin? Or do you keep them at slower speeds?

Over time fans tends to get "stiffer" to turn (especially cheaper ones) especially if they are not cleaned. I've seen Antec 3-speed fans do this as well (running low voltage through them, needing a push to make them spin)

But personally I have ~6-8 red Sickleflows in my case which has been running without much cleaning for the last 5 years or so and they all still work very nicely. Theyre set at a lower speed. But maybe the older ones were better than the new one.
Canada  Online
Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
element72
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
If you crank the fan controller's speed, do they spin? Or do you keep them at slower speeds?

Over time fans tends to get "stiffer" to turn (especially cheaper ones) especially if they are not cleaned. I've seen Antec 3-speed fans do this as well (running low voltage through them, needing a push to make them spin)

But personally I have ~6-8 red Sickleflows in my case which has been running without much cleaning for the last 5 years or so and they all still work very nicely. Theyre set at a lower speed. But maybe the older ones were better than the new one.
fans r always 100% full speed on my controller. and wat do u mean by cleaning the fans. is that just simple dusting maintenance? I feel the cheap ones can have their oil leak or evaporate somehow. I dont think the fans run at 2000rpm anymore lol, despite them being 100% speed on my fan controller.

Last edited by element72; 03-30-2017 at 11:19 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 03-31-2017, 05:01 AM   #4
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Dust can get in the stator/rotor and stick up things in there. The oil also goes away over time. You can try re-oiling them with I think sewing machine oil. There are instructions if you look on Google. I think the plug is found under the sticker at the base of the fan.
Canada  Online
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply