EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Multimedia & Codecs

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
BlastMaster
Old Soldier

Ripping Bought DVDs.

The title says it all. I have thousands of DVDs that I have purchased over the years and I still buy them to rip and save. I love movies.

This being said I have been running into issues lately backing up some newer disks.

The manufacturer no longer supports DVD Catalyst 4 and I am looking for an up to date all in one solution for ripping my DVDs.

I don't want a 4 step 5 program process I just want to keep it simple as I said I backup my disks to MP4 on my home server, I do not share, FTP for others or anything dumb like tha tI just want to keep backing up my own purchases and the newer disks aren't saving anymore.

Any ideas?

Additional Comment:

As an afterthought I save everything for use on Android tablets, I use them on my Droid Turbo2 and or my Asus TF700 and that's about it.

Last edited by BlastMaster; 12-25-2016 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #2
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

Don't know of any good free programs but this one was good when I used it.

http://www.magicdvdripper.com/purchase.htm
Canada  Offline
Old 12-26-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

I've used MDR with fairly good success also, I converted some of my DVD to be able to stream them to my TV, they have multiple format options though.
They have a free trial with no watermark or restrictions if you want to test it out.

Last edited by Spartacus; 12-26-2016 at 12:39 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 12-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

They had excellent support as well.One dvd I had failed during ripping contacted them and sent the logs to them and over a couple of days sent me updated versions until it worked.If you do get the free upgrades for life version.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
BlastMaster
Old Soldier

I have no problem paying one time I just don't want a subscription service. I used to do the handbrake thing and it was such a pain in the butt doing multiple step processes when a set had 12 DVDs in it. I'll give it a shot. All the scams shareware viruses and other things make me leery of trying new programs especially for stuff like this.
United States  Offline
Old 12-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastMaster View Post
I have no problem paying one time I just don't want a subscription service. I used to do the handbrake thing and it was such a pain in the butt doing multiple step processes when a set had 12 DVDs in it. I'll give it a shot. All the scams shareware viruses and other things make me leery of trying new programs especially for stuff like this.
Magic is simple to use and will do MP4 if that's your preferred format .One time price for the lifetime upgrade will ensure if copy protection evolves it will as well.Fairly quick process as well.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

If anyone remembers AnyDVD and AnyDVD HD before Slysoft went out of business a new company located someplace where US/EU copyright restrictions do not apply makes and supports the software now. Company is called RedFox.
United States  Offline
Old 12-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldd View Post
If anyone remembers AnyDVD and AnyDVD HD before Slysoft went out of business a new company located someplace where US/EU copyright restrictions do not apply makes and supports the software now. Company is called RedFox.
I tried that one when it was Slysoft and it wasn't very good no idea what it's like now.Mostly just failed rips no crashes but I never paid for it so it might have been different with a paid up to date version.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
The Dude
I ❤ 7

DVDFAB is a good one, albeit complicated to use the trial version forever. You can rip the files directly from disk (along with a mini iso that can be mounted) then use kodi to build a library. It's pretty awesome once set up.
United States  Offline
Old 02-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
DVDFAB is a good one, albeit complicated to use the trial version forever. You can rip the files directly from disk (along with a mini iso that can be mounted) then use kodi to build a library. It's pretty awesome once set up.

how did you get DVD fab to work for rips directly to disk? Mine expired after 30 days
I know the text says it always works, but mine didn't which options did you choose?
thanks
United States  Offline
Old 02-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

Handbrake is free and works perfectly.

MakeMKV is free (ish?) just update the key every month from the beta forum.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 02-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #12
runlinux
MC Number Cruncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksilver View Post
Handbrake is free and works perfectly.

MakeMKV is free (ish?) just update the key every month from the beta forum.
Handbrake is awesome. My wife was even able to do it! I had to use MakeMKV to rip Blu Rays, and then handbrake to encode them. We did our whole collection over a couple of weeks for our Apple TV.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 02-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #13
un4givn85
v^

does this method work for making a DVD ~700mb in size like the pirates do?
or does it rip it full size?
United States  Offline
Old 02-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #14
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4givn85 View Post
does this method work for making a DVD ~700mb in size like the pirates do?
or does it rip it full size?
Many encoders, handbrake included will allow you to set a target file size if you want and it will just do the best to adjust quality to make sure you get that target size.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply