EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us


Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Processors

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!


Please Register to Post a Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
mcrvr5
Running System Stock
mcrvr5's Avatar
Forum Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Last Seen: 05-10-2017
7860K Please help with a new build

Hey friends, I'm building an HTPC with the following components:

AMD A10 7860K FM2+ "Godavari" CPU (Quad Core, 3.6 GHz, AMD Radeon R7 757 MHz, 65 W)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8975-_-Product
Main use for a 43" Plasma with lots of BD films and only for light gaming when I desire.

RAM DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X4GB 2400Mhz
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-605-_-Product
I understand that an APU has its performance greatly improved when using high-speed RAM.

3 Hard-drives
HGST Ultrastar 2TB
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0029-_-Product
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-010-_-Product
Seagate BarraCuda 500GB
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-011-_-Product

ASUS DRW-24F1ST
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-305-_-Product

Now, I must decide between these two Mobos:
Gigabyte FM2+ mATX GA-F2A88XM-D3HP
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813128894
Gigabyte FM2+ mATX GA-F2A68HM-H DDR3
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-763-_-Product

Which would you recommend to properly OC the A10 7860K?
My intention is to spend the lowest budget possible, but I'd pick the F2A88XM if it is needed.

Also, I'm plugging a 5.1 Logitech Z506 Speakers
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00V8-_-Product
The F2A88XM has 5 audio connections for a dedicated 5.1 system and the F2A68HM only 3 that I'd have to configure with the driver. Would it make some quality difference?

PSU
I need help to decide which wattage I need for this gear, with or without OC.

Case
I have to choose between two alternatives, one that contains 2 fans front/back of 120mm, the other having 3 fans, front/back of 120mm and side of 200mm. You can guess which one is slightly cheaper, but once again I'll get the right one for an OC.

I want to be certain and not configure risks, if these specs aren't enough I prefer not to mess with OC at all.

Any comment of you wise O'Clockers will be received with gratitude.

Additional Comment:

Any advice would be of great help, friends.

Last edited by mcrvr5; 04-05-2017 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII
FunkZ's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,383
Last Seen: Today
Age: 44
From: Chambersburg, PA
iTrader: 67 / 100%
My 7850K Kaveri system draws 200W at the outlet at full CPU/GPU load, oc'd to 4.5Ghz/1.45v and 960Mhz. That's a 70W increase over stock. So for power supply, any good quality unit should suffice.

Definitely go with the high speed RAM if using the APU for gaming. 2400 gives you a few more FPS compared to 1600, and they're probably not that much different in price.

I would pick the 88X board as it looks like it has an improved power design over the 68H which will be important if you want to overclock.

Cooling this chip is not a big deal, even overclocked. CPU-wise it's similar to the FX-4100 quad core. And if Godavari has the same CPU throttling as the Kaveri, when you load the GPU it drops CPU speed back to 3Ghz. I'm not aware that anyone ever came up with a way around that, but it's been 3 years since I last looked at it.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
mcrvr5
Running System Stock
mcrvr5's Avatar
Forum Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Last Seen: 05-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkZ View Post
My 7850K Kaveri system draws 200W at the outlet at full CPU/GPU load, oc'd to 4.5Ghz/1.45v and 960Mhz. That's a 70W increase over stock. So for power supply, any good quality unit should suffice.

Definitely go with the high speed RAM if using the APU for gaming. 2400 gives you a few more FPS compared to 1600, and they're probably not that much different in price.

I would pick the 88X board as it looks like it has an improved power design over the 68H which will be important if you want to overclock.

Cooling this chip is not a big deal, even overclocked. CPU-wise it's similar to the FX-4100 quad core. And if Godavari has the same CPU throttling as the Kaveri, when you load the GPU it drops CPU speed back to 3Ghz. I'm not aware that anyone ever came up with a way around that, but it's been 3 years since I last looked at it.
Thanks for your answer FunkZ.

I've been told that OC this APU for an HTPC is not recommendable since it would only add heat and noise for a minimum performance boost.

However I'm planing in dualboot this PC with Linux for main Media playback and Windows OC'd for occasional gaming. Could I OC just the Windows system?

I'm thinking in buying a 450W EVGA PSU, and as for the CPU Cooling, to OC I'll need to buy a better cooler, or the factory made is enough? I'll be using a Case with 3 fans, 2x 120mm and 1x 200mm.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-13-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII
FunkZ's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,383
Last Seen: Today
Age: 44
From: Chambersburg, PA
iTrader: 67 / 100%
With what you plan on using it for, OC'ing the CPU won't make a whole lot of difference, but 4.2-4.3 seems to be easily attainable with just a small bump in voltage, and is probably doable with the stock cooler. You should be able to at least match a stock 7890K speed. (4.1/866)

I would definitely OC the GPU for gaming, the 7860K stock is 757MHz. My 7850K is 720MHz and I run it at 960MHz. Just like the faster memory speed, this will add a few more FPS.

I leave Cool-n-Quiet enabled so that the CPU and voltage reduces when idle.

If you OC from the BIOS, it's going to affect both OS. You could use AMD Overdrive or some other software in Windows if you only want to OC when gaming.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
mcrvr5
Running System Stock
mcrvr5's Avatar
Forum Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Last Seen: 05-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkZ View Post
With what you plan on using it for, OC'ing the CPU won't make a whole lot of difference, but 4.2-4.3 seems to be easily attainable with just a small bump in voltage, and is probably doable with the stock cooler. You should be able to at least match a stock 7890K speed. (4.1/866)

I would definitely OC the GPU for gaming, the 7860K stock is 757MHz. My 7850K is 720MHz and I run it at 960MHz. Just like the faster memory speed, this will add a few more FPS.

I leave Cool-n-Quiet enabled so that the CPU and voltage reduces when idle.

If you OC from the BIOS, it's going to affect both OS. You could use AMD Overdrive or some other software in Windows if you only want to OC when gaming.
Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was hoping for. AMD OverDrive shall be used.

Still for HD playback, doesn't really a 50GB Blu-Ray disc benefit from a little OC?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII
FunkZ's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,383
Last Seen: Today
Age: 44
From: Chambersburg, PA
iTrader: 67 / 100%
You can play a BD at 1080p with an old i3 530 without a problem. Even streaming 1080p isn't very CPU dependent. Unless you're encoding the video while watching it, I doubt the 7860K is going to see a benefit from overclocking just for video playback. Now if you were talking 4k video then maybe. But then you're limited by those motherboard HDMI 1.4 port to 30Hz.

The overclock becomes important for the gaming, and then the CPU not so much as the GPU speed.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
mcrvr5
Running System Stock
mcrvr5's Avatar
Forum Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Last Seen: 05-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkZ View Post
You can play a BD at 1080p with an old i3 530 without a problem. Even streaming 1080p isn't very CPU dependent. Unless you're encoding the video while watching it, I doubt the 7860K is going to see a benefit from overclocking just for video playback. Now if you were talking 4k video then maybe. But then you're limited by those motherboard HDMI 1.4 port to 30Hz.

The overclock becomes important for the gaming, and then the CPU not so much as the GPU speed.
Ok, very well.

To achieve the full potential of this APU, I'll have to use it with a high speed RAM like mentioned before. These high speed RAMs when installed, run at the 'stock' speed, like 1333Mhz and must be OC'ed to reach 2400Mhz, setting an XMP profile in the BIOS or the AMD equivalent.

The G.Skill's support informs that it is safe to use these profiles because they would not sell a product that could harm the PC or other Hardware, if, you're not using a high value for no purpose because with a lot of unused voltage, the hardware is forced to regulate it and it can be stressful to the machine.

My doubt is if it's recommendable to increase the RAM speed to play BD, open +50 tabs of internet and let the computer powered on for days using eMule and Torrent. Would I be fine running the RAM at just the stock use?

Undoubtedly I'll do this OC for my occasional gaming, does the AMD OverDrive also configures RAM speed?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #8
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII
FunkZ's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,383
Last Seen: Today
Age: 44
From: Chambersburg, PA
iTrader: 67 / 100%
You can if you wish, there's not much difference though between SPD and XMP voltage-wise, maybe .15v? (1.5 to 1.65) As you point out, the memory is rated to run at the XMP profile, and speed wise you'll likely notice a difference between 1333 and 2400 for more than just gaming.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply

Tags
7860k

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:07 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, EXTREME Overclocking