EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Notebooks, Handhelds, Cell Phones...

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-16-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
Shadowmage
Laptop Guru

Tweaks for your AMD64/Radeon laptop! (Last updated 3/5/2005)

First, go here: http://www.amdboard.com/athlon_64_notebook.html to see the make/model of your notebook.

BIOS

Uniwill (any model): http://www.uniwill.com/downloads/
Mitac 8355: http://www.amd64notebooks.com/index....de=article&k=2
Acer Ferrari 3200: http://support.acerpanam.com/synapse...tral=1&pupv=pu

If your model is not listed, then the notebook maker was lazy and doesn't provide good enough support!

AUDIO

Most laptops use Realtek AC97:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&Software=True

VIDEO

Ah, the all important graphics performance...

Too bad ATI doesn't update drivers for mobile GPUs, right? WRONG!

Start by downloading ANY ATI graphics driver (yes, this includes Omega drivers, as well as ATI beta drivers. You are free to download the ATI 8.07 betas!) http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

Next, download the excellent Mobility Modding program! http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

This works because the Radeon 9600/9700 is basically the desktop Radeon 9600 Pro!

For widescreen laptops and non-desktop-standard laptop resolutions, there is a slight problem: the only resolutions supported are the standard desktop resolutions (eg 1280x1024, 1600x1200, etc)!!!

That's why we download Powerstrip (http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm), go to Custom Monitor Resolutions (in the right-click menu), and set a user defined resolution. I set mine as 1280x800 at 60hz. Please note that you want the refresh rate to be WINDOWS DEFINED, or you will have problems!

After you do this, the custom resolution is selectable in the Display panel in the Control Panel, so you can uninstall Powerstrip if you wish.

Now, I like using ATITray (basically, a better version of ATITool) and mess with the memory settings, as well as doing some overclocking. You can enable all the optimizations with this tool, which helps raise FPS in UT2004

Get it here: http://www.radeon2.ru/atitray/

CPU

(this is a cut-and-paste from my AMD64 tweaking guide. I think it's better to combine all info in a single post.)

For this guide, I'm assuming the following things:

1. You have a laptop with an AMD64 processor. It does not matter if the processor is a DTR, a 62W Mobile, or a 35W Mobile. Note that for the purposes of this guide, I will be using a 62W Mobile CG Revision AMD64 3200+ in my SiS755 chipset IBUYPOWER laptop.

2. You want to get the best battery-life/performance ratio possible.

3. (optional) You are trying to decide between an AMD64 laptop and a Intel Centrino Dothan laptop.

OK, let's get started!

For this guide, you will need the following things:

1. An AMD64 laptop (duh!)
2. Prime95 for stability testing purposes (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm)
3. CrystalCPUID for multiplier/voltage tweaks (http://crystalmark.info/download/CrystalCPUID36.zip)
4. SiSoft Sandra for confirmation (http://www.sisoftware.net/)
5. Wattage calculation (http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html)

OK, let's get started!!!

Prelim info:

We know that the laptop CPUs with the longest battery life are the Intel Dothan (700s) series. Anandtech has proved that the 755 (2.0ghz) and the 745 (1.8ghz) are very formidable foes, providing excellent power compared to the AMD64 Mobile line (especially the 3000+ and 2800+) at little battery expense (21W compared to 62W).

However, the AMD64 has another trick up its sleeve: PowerNOW! technology. This supports on-the-fly changing of processor speeds and voltage, ranging from (1.4v at full power, to 0.8v at a puny 800mhz for basic tasks and idling). This alone offers a nice boost to battery power. For advanced users, this is especially great due to the fact that they can abuse this through multiplier/voltage changing programs! Note that this is NOT POSSIBLE with the Intel Dothan line.

For this guide, we will be altering the voltage and multiplier settings to provide the optimum performance levels while offering minimal wattage, even rivaling or SURPASSING that of the Intel Dothan line!

Step 1: Turn off PowerNOW! technology.

Go to the control panel, go to "Power Options", and select "Max Battery" from the list of preset profiles. You may change the monitor, hard drive, and standby options to whatever you wish; that part doesn't matter.

Step 2: Start running Prime95

Download Prime95, install it, and run it. Go to "Options", then "Torture test...". Select "In Place Large FFTs", and hit "OK". This will ensure that the computer is stable while you overclock via software.

IF AT ANY TIME PRIME95 FAILS WHEN TWEAKING, IMMEDIATELY FORCE THE COMPUTER TO SHUT DOWN!

Step 3: Run CrystalCPUID

Unzip the zip file, and run the program. Go to "function", "AMD K7/K8 Multiplier", or hit Ctrl + K. Then, check the "show confirmed dialog" for extra security, and then click on "Enable Change Voltage" to enable voltage tweaks.

REMEMBER: ALWAYS INCREASE VOLTAGE BEFORE INCREASING THE MULTIPLIER. ALWAYS DECREASE THE MULTIPLIER BEFORE DECREASING THE VOLTAGE!

Now, we are going to find some key info!

Set the voltage to 1.400v, and the multiplier to 10x. Every minute or so, lower the voltage by 0.025. As soon as Prime95 fails, IMMEDIATELY SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER! After rebooting, run Prime95 for an hour or so to verify the lowest voltage setting. For my AMD64 3200+ M, the lowest voltage I got was 1.250v, for a total of 50W. That's 12W of saved power for NO LOSS IN PERFORMANCE! Note that all processors are different.

Repeat this for the 4x multiplier settings. It should be easy to accomplish the 0.800v, as I did. I even managed to set the multiplier at 4.5x with the lowest 0.800v setting! This will get you a 900mhz processor that uses a negligible 9W power! I managed to get 0.850v at 5.5x, which is a 1.1ghz @ 13W. Compare this to the UL Voltage Dothan 1.1ghz @ 5W. Although the AMD64 uses more than 100% more power, that's still pretty darn close.

Now, let's find the target 21W frequency. I achieved this at 7x5 at 1.000v. This will get a 1.5ghz @ 24W processor. That's equal to a Centrino 715. 1.7ghz will get me a 31W processor. 1.9ghz gets 41W.

Find the frequencies and the wattage that will yield what you want. Create a few shortcuts and put them on the desktop. I suggest putting the nominal wattage shortcut in the Startup folder. Select the max performance shortcut when playing games, etc.

This is the sole advantage the AMD64 has over the Dothan, besides the 64bit capabilities. It's versatileness is unmatched.

Another good thing about A64 is the insanely cheap price compared to the Dothan!

AMD3200M costs $213 from Newegg.com

Dothan 755, which is same performance, costs $639.

Dothan 715, same performance and battery length as underclocked AMD3200, costs around the same as the AMD3200M.

The ULV 732, I don't know how much that costs, no doubt around $400 or more.
Please post your results here.

UPDATE 3/5/2005: RAM

Just found an awesome program to tweak your RAM timings! It's called AMD64 Tweaker and can be found on xtremeforums. I attached it here for your downloading enjoyment This is chipset independent
Attached Files
File Type: zip A64Tweaker_V031.zip (227.9 KB, 510 views)

Last edited by Shadowmage; 03-05-2005 at 07:55 PM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-17-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
Gh3tt0PC
йЯ мЭмʮ

excellent all in one guide...glad someone finally took the time to type it all out. (even if i couldn't afford a better ati video in my lappy, I had to settle for crappy geforce4)
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands  Offline
Old 10-17-2004, 06:51 PM   #3
onewecallgod
#6 post whore

the problem with omegas is that they dont work well with hibernation or sleep... reasons why i have them on my comp but not installed
United States  Offline
Old 10-17-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
Shadowmage
Laptop Guru

Use the ATI official drivers, or the DNAs
United States  Offline
Old 10-22-2004, 08:55 PM   #5
Shadowmage
Laptop Guru

Gah, it seems to be pointless posting laptop guides and whatnot here... NO ONE READS THEM!
United States  Offline
Old 10-24-2004, 11:37 PM   #6
Cappa
Oh Snap!

no no i read them, im just too lazy to do them....i had a problem with the omega drivers id play dod for like 5 minutes and my computer would lock up completley. i cleaned to drivers off and installed the factory ones and now it works fine
Lebanon  Offline
Old 10-27-2004, 09:18 AM   #7
Shadowmage
Laptop Guru

I'm just upset that I spent lots of time writing this, and there is practically no response whatsoever (thanks ghettopc and onewecallgod for your support )
United States  Offline
Old 10-27-2004, 04:49 PM   #8
steel102
eh

great guide. only one problem: i have a dothan laptop!!!
i also have a mobility 9700 pro, and i didn't know you could update the drivers like this. thanks for the guide!
Orkney Islands  Offline
Old 10-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #9
onewecallgod
#6 post whore

try this: http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/BetaVersions/CPUMSR_0_88.zip

its called CPUMSR and i use it for underclocking my laptop. at 133x7.5 @ 0.925v
it definitly works for dolthan, but i'm not sure what settings you'll be able to change
United States  Offline
Old 11-03-2004, 05:47 PM   #10
wildseven
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Hi and thanks

thanks for posting this guide for tweaking as this is the 1st time I bought a laptop and was wondering how I can get the most of my laptop... umm... I have a problem when I try to follow it though... I jumped straight to the video driver part... I installed powerstrip, that mobility mod and tried to install an xp driver from ati website... but after the mods are made in mod program and asks to install driver i continue and it asks for express or custom install right... I get an error that says display drivers not compatible with display adapters... am I doing something wrong? I own the emachines m6810, I guess I'm wondering do I install a bios but I'm not sure which one? appreciate your help thanks!
United States  Offline
Old 11-03-2004, 06:18 PM   #11
onewecallgod
#6 post whore

i wouldnt risk trying regular CATs on a laptop if i were you (unless you dont mind the chance that you might have to reformat)
United States  Offline
Old 11-03-2004, 06:29 PM   #12
Shadowmage
Laptop Guru

there is NO CHANCE that you need to reformat.

Remember, Radeon 9700 Mobile = Radeon 9600XT!!!

The only problem is that some monitor formats aren't installed, so you need Powerstrip for that.

BTW, open the ini files. Mine is here:

C:\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-8-07-018380E\Driver\2KXP_INF

Change the Manufacturer to this:

[Manufacturer]
%ATI% = ATI.Mfg
United States  Offline
Old 11-03-2004, 07:07 PM   #13
wildseven
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

ok installed

great thanks it worked it finally installed with that manf. change I restarted my comp and now it reads it as mobility 9600 now though... is there any way to get it to read or run as an 9600 xt?

Edit: oh I retried installing I guess I accidently modded for the 9600 so now it reads as an 9700 mobile... alright! hope this increases fps in cs source and maybe i'll be able to run doom now thanks!

Last edited by wildseven; 11-03-2004 at 07:30 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 11-03-2004, 07:38 PM   #14
Shadowmage
Laptop Guru

it's never going to read as the 9600XT.

Good luck w/ Doom
United States  Offline
Old 11-15-2004, 11:38 PM   #15
johnny45
Whereain Kelly

If it helps any...

I've searched throughout the web and this is the only decent guide I've found, keep up the good work shadowmage, it's not that no one will read your guides, it's just that its a pain in the *** to find good guides such as yours, hell, I found it as a fluke, and I'm sure the average person with an a64 laptop doesn't even know that this is possible.
United States  Offline
Old 11-16-2004, 05:06 AM   #16
aquacooled
-=Hardware Fanatic=-

good info

great guide.. I vote sticky..
Germany  Offline
Old 11-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #17
beyoku
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

First post.
Im new at the whole voltage/wattage thing. Maybe someone can explain.
I have the emachine m6809 so i guess im at 1.4 volts and 60 or so watts - default.
As i lower the voltage i assume that your are saying the wattage automatically goes down as well. I didnt study electronics in school but i assume this is how it works. So when you say you have 900 mhz at 9 watts! - what is the formula you use to get this number and what exactly do you get in terms of battery life on your laptop if and idle sit would get you 3 hours before the voltage mod. if i sat my comp on screensaver it will die out in about 3 hours. What can i expect after the mod.? What were your getting after/before the mod?
thanks.
United States  Offline
Old 11-19-2004, 10:17 PM   #18
onewecallgod
#6 post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyoku
So when you say you have 900 mhz at 9 watts! - what is the formula you use to get this number and what exactly do you get in terms of battery life on your laptop if and idle sit would get you 3 hours before the voltage mod. if i sat my comp on screensaver it will die out in about 3 hours. What can i expect after the mod.? What were your getting after/before the mod?
thanks.
there isnt really a forumula to get cpu wattage. he probably came up with the number by guestimating and benchtest.com/calc.html
United States  Offline
Old 11-25-2004, 03:50 PM   #19
beyoku
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

you can go there and they have a long thread on an amd64 lappy. One think i JUST found out riding the train is that i can use clockgen to take my processor speed below 800mhz. Im not sure who has done it but the link is on that page. For extreme power saving im sure you can slow the proc WAY down. Who knows if it will help to run it at say....500 instead of 800 mhz?
United States  Offline
Old 11-27-2004, 08:49 PM   #20
Shadowmage
Laptop Guru

lowest is 4x multi, so 800mhz is bare min.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply