EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Video Cards, TV Tuners, Monitors > Monitors & Displays
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-18-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
SlickShoes
Rock out.

CRT monitor makes weird high pitched noise...

ok so i got this new CRT monitor, it's a Viewsonic P95f+ it's actually not new it was bought refurb off newegg...i knew that buying refurb was risky but when i got it was working in perfect condition, i couldn't ask for anything better. until a couple of weeks ago, whenever the monitor was off for a couple of hours our more, when i would turn it on it'd make a high pitched ringing noise. then it'd eventually die down and i couldn't notice it. a few days ago it started noticing it all the time. i turned my refresh rate down from 100hz to 90hz and i coudln't hear it THAT bad anymore, but if i listened real closely it was still evident. i know it's not a problem with the refresh rate because i know this thing can do 100hz at 1280x1024, and it was working fine all up until two weeks ago.

so i finally did some research and came up with what i think is the answer:

If it is a regular CRT-style monitor, there are wire coils
wrapped around the CRT to deflect the electron beam to provide
horizontal & vertical deflection; these are probably glued in
place (or at least, in bundles) using epoxy resin or something
similar.

Probably, the epoxy has cracked or come loose from whatever it's
anchored to at some point and what you can hear is some or all
of the windings on the horizontal deflection coil rattling back
and forth

it makes perfect sense to me because it actually does sound like it's faintly "rattling" the only problem is i don't know the first thing about monitors and i don't to go messing around with something i could ruin. i've searched around the local comp. shops and they all charge $75 or more just to even look at it...of course best buy charges around $150 for the whole process, so that just isn't an option.....

has anyone had any sort of experience with this problem, and maybe could tell me that going in there and gluing back a few wires isn't that hard haha...cause i'm basicaly clueless

thanks.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-18-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
Monty
Old and dying

I hope you get it fixed because i HATE that high pitched noise most old crt tv's make.
Not many people hear that noise, but i do, and it really annoys me.

Is this noise louder than the noise of old crt tv's?
Australia  Offline
Old 03-18-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
SlickShoes
Rock out.

i'm not sure what an old CRT tv is haha.....i don't think i have any but it's usually only loud right when i turn the monitor on, then it goes down...then after that (at 100hz) it just stays steady, kinda quit..but it still annoys the hell out of me
United States  Offline
Old 03-18-2005, 11:26 PM   #4
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

I hate to tell you this, but I think you better get ready to buy a new monitor.
United States  Offline
Old 03-19-2005, 12:48 AM   #5
SlickShoes
Rock out.

there's no way it could just be the glue thing?? cause that'd be real weak.
United States  Offline
Old 03-19-2005, 01:59 AM   #6
Akadjjoel
California Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhammock200
I hate to tell you this, but I think you better get ready to buy a new monitor.
yeah thats how my first monitor died, it started to make a high pitched sound and then it didnt turn on anymore. Then I took a wiff from the top air vents and it smelled burnt.
United States  Offline
Old 03-19-2005, 02:11 AM   #7
SlickShoes
Rock out.

ARGH...i know that smell.......this really sucks lol

i guess the best i can do is sell my old flat panel and this thing at some cheapo store around here and get maybe $150 out of the deal...then spend MORE money to get ANOTHER monitor

what really sucks is they don't sell the P95f+'s that much anymore, but i prolly wouldn't get another one anway......so any recommendations for a new CRT monitor?? haha i've been looking for new 19" ones for a while, cause i just had a bad feeling that this one would die on me. seems like no other ones have specs as good as this thing...****.
United States  Offline
Old 03-21-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
Chodi
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I've been in electronics manufacturing for over twenty years. Yes, that includes TV's. It's the high voltage coil making the noise. It varies from one design to another, but it is always there. Your wall circuit can even effect the amount and pitch of the noise. If it is very loud then you probably have a pending failure. Do not mess with this yourself as that high voltage section is lethal. Take it to a tech and have it checked out before it goes up in flames. I have yet to see a TV that did not produce some noise from high voltage, but usually it is so slight that it is not noticed above the ambient noise in the room.
Thailand  Offline
Old 03-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #9
Auzner
Mad Warranty Voider

I dislike Viewsonic. Too many think they're a great brand, but their stuff is cheap with good marketting is all it is. If you want to get your current monitor repaired, it will cost you... about $150 hahah... Well I dunno, but today the way things work is the repair usually costs as much as a whole new unit.
My friend and I had a Viewsonic G810, 21" 1600x1200@75hz, they both died within 9 months. The Flyback transformer went I guess. I googled a lot, and it said $30 would repair it. So my dad showed me what to do since he is an electrical engineer, and he soldered a new flyback transformer in. The monitor worked OK the rest of the day. Something wasn't right. It was hard to get it sharp, everything was blurry after awhile. Then the next day it was dead again. So I guess it was some capacitor or something on the board somewhere. The monitor was recycled. G810's die A LOT! The number one FBT to buy on this website were ones for the 810's. I don't remember the brand of the thing, I want to say Samsung for some reason, but that is because I hate their optical drives.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 03-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #10
Gh3tt0PC
йЯ мЭмʮ

my 19" viewsonic makes that highpitched noise whenever it runs lower than 1024x768...so on POST for about 5 secs, and in some games where CG scenes are lower res...like Star Wars KOTOR...but other than that it's fine....and the noise stops If I push on the edge of the plastic that surrounds the monitor, so I dunno what the problem is...not a big deal though...it's done it as long as I can remember.
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands  Offline
Old 03-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #11
SlickShoes
Rock out.

Well, the noise is definitely audible over the ambient noise in the room The good news is i hear nothing when it's at 90hz, and 90 is still good enough for me so as long as it keeps this up i'll be happy, if the noise starts up again at 90hz, then i'll have to consider getting a new monitor. probably not another viewsonic.
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
*VIOLATER*
Crash & Burn Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty
I hope you get it fixed because i HATE that high pitched noise most old crt tv's make.
Not many people hear that noise, but i do, and it really annoys me.

Is this noise louder than the noise of old crt tv's?

I hear that all the time. It is very annoying. I will say is there a TV on & they say why. I say I can hear it. They say I do not hear anything. So we go check & there it is on & no sound except that infernal ultra high pitch sound..
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2005, 03:46 PM   #13
Monty
Old and dying

Yeah, the same thing happened at school a while ago. I said there is a tv on in our class, people said how do you know, i said i can hear it. And yes, nextdoor to our class, there was a tv that was on. But only with a black picture. But luckily we have good CRT TV's that dont make that noise.
Australia  Offline
Old 05-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #14
*VIOLATER*
Crash & Burn Baby

I have only known a couple people ever aside myself to hear that sound. Except for you guys on here that have heard it..
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2005, 04:58 PM   #15
Auzner
Mad Warranty Voider

lol...
The TV in one of my classes is on 24/7. I heard a whining noise but the TV was black. The VCR light was on. Everything seemed off. But I pressed the VCR button and it turned off and the TV began to hiss with static very loudly! Kinda sad they leave the TV and VCR on all day and that they can't hear the whine. That was my only opportunity to experiment while alone, so on it stays.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-02-2005, 09:28 AM   #16
feeder_fan_2003
Overclocker

i have this with my 15" LG StudioWorks 520si which is set to 1152x864@60Hz. It makes the same high pitched oise for about 15 seconds then it goes away. its probably nothing at all. but keep an eye out for any smells or strange behaviour.

edit: some people, like myself, are good at picking up high pitched sounds like these. very annoying. sometimes a smack to the top of the crt can fix it
England  Offline
Old 05-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #17
*VIOLATER*
Crash & Burn Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeder_fan_2003
i have this with my 15" LG StudioWorks 520si which is set to 1152x864@60Hz. It makes the same high pitched oise for about 15 seconds then it goes away. its probably nothing at all. but keep an eye out for any smells or strange behaviour.

edit: some people, like myself, are good at picking up high pitched sounds like these. very annoying. sometimes a smack to the top of the crt can fix it

A smack with a crow bar?!?!
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2005, 12:32 AM   #18
ccskorn
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I have a 19" Samsung Syncmaster 997DF, it makes that noise whenever I look at webpages w/ a lot of color or text. The only way I can make it stop is if I lower the refresh rate down to 60 . Good thing I got a 4-year replacement plan from Circuit City, going to call tomorrow.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2005, 07:03 AM   #19
ojibewa
Futuremark / PBBans

sounds like a coil screaming,, does it do this at all refresh rates or just at some..???
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #20
*VIOLATER*
Crash & Burn Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibewa
sounds like a coil screaming,, does it do this at all refresh rates or just at some..???
He said it stops @ 60
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply