EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Motherboards
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-29-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
skilectron
Area Under the Curve

Question Maximum fan power from mobo contacts

Is it OK to use a 92mm Vantec Tornado which draws a little over AMDs 0.7A stock fan at 1A? It already has the RPM sense and I could easily get the wire leads and pin contacts into the blank ones so it runs from the CPU mobo fan connector instead of molex- an easy 5 min mod

DFI NF4U-D I know specs no ratings at all for fan headers in their manual, but its bios fanspeed controls are already there for a couple of the headers and far better than all but the most overpriced fanspeed controllers- and I want all my other fans fullspeed 24/7 anyway.

I dont actually have a Tornado and wont bother unless this is for certain not enough to overload the boards CPU fan header.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Kevster2004
Baking to the max

extremely bad idea would never use a tornado running off the cpu header will fry it pretty much straight away...ampage is ok but the 12 watt draw from the tornado will deffo short the header out
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-29-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevster2004
extremely bad idea would never use a tornado running off the cpu header will fry it pretty much straight away...ampage is ok but the 12 watt draw from the tornado will deffo short the header out
The DFI fan headers are rated at a max of 6.24W (0.52A).
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/show...8&postcount=12
United States  Offline
Old 06-30-2005, 02:21 AM   #4
skilectron
Area Under the Curve

Unhappy

I never actually tried using the stock retail Venice fan the CPU shipped with, but its unusually high current rating sure stood out. This is the only reason I mightve even suspected a Vantec Tornado could somehow be borderline safe since this fan had no molex converters, warnings about its power requirement or anything.
On the 70x15 fan:
AVC
MODEL DE07015B12U
DC12v - 0.70A S016
BALL BEARING

0.7A x 12v= 8.4w loaded by 1 fan header. Make me wonder if theyre trying to get those that dont OC to burn stuff up more often
United States  Offline
Old 06-30-2005, 04:06 AM   #5
Kevster2004
Baking to the max

well connecting ya tornado would deffo end up burning the header out...connecting any high performance fan to any motherboard header is dangerious thats why we have fan controllers
personally i'd never risk overloading the headers its really bad idea
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 07-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #6
skilectron
Area Under the Curve

I know at this point a Tornado is too much

I agree that high perf fans on mobo fan headers is risy.
But that still doesn't say anything for the unexplained VERY HIGH 0.7A load supposedly sucked by AMD's stock fan.

Im still assuming this is true since noone seems to know otherwise. I guess it really doesnt matter for me bc I use a molex powered high-perf fan anyway, but Im still curious bout it.

Ill bring this up to AMD telling them my mobos much lower 0.52A max ratings and see what they say bout it. this otta be good
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #7
skilectron
Area Under the Curve

Cool Mystery Solved

I measured the AMD stock fan on a couple test supplies with a DMM and determined the 0.70 A rating is clearly a typo and believe it meant to say 0.07A!

I also measured a 0.25A rated CoolerMaster 60x10mm as a control.
On a 5v,1A regulated wal-wart (voltage measured stiff@5.03v), the undervoltage almost wasnt enough to spin up the AMD fan. Measured 0.03A. The CoolerMaster 0.05A.

On the 13.8v,0.9A unregulated wal-wart: Open load voltage=19VDC. I added an 8ohm series resistance to buffer what the fan sees down a little. Ive used it before to test 12VDC fans and only ever hurt a fan once bc it was accidently connected it in reverse
The coolermaster caused a 0.23~0.24A reading on the DMM. About as expected. Actual voltage was a hair over 15v. It was 1 loud fast little fan with that not that Id risk subjecting it to that for more than a few secs
The Venice stock fan however only caused somewhere around 0.08~0.09A to my surprise (it probly wouldve been right on 0.07A had the supply not been >12v). Actual voltage was nearly 17v indicating the how small the true load really was.

I know had the load really been 0.7~1A range with that walwart, the load+series resistance wouldve caused the load to effectively see around 13v.
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2005, 03:44 PM   #8
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Quote:
I measured the AMD stock fan on a couple test supplies with a DMM and determined the 0.70 A rating is clearly a typo and believe it meant to say 0.07A!
Had to be!
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply