EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > General System Help & Questions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 09-16-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
.:indrid_cold:.
Restricted Access
Restricted Access

getting "cannot load operating system" error

i get done loading all the files for windows and then i reboot from the floppy and i get an error saying it cannot load the operating system...anyone know how i can fix this? please! i have a LAN party in 12 hours!!!
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 09-16-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
Superip342
Mad Warranty Voider

What are you doing, installing windows? Make sure it's got the option to boot from your harddrive in the bios, and not just CD-Rom or the floppy.
England  Offline
Old 09-16-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
undefeatedone
Eye of the Tiger

ah, I had that problem, apparently overclocking corrupted my windows installation, so I had to reformat. It's fine now.
United States  Offline
Old 09-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
Superip342
Mad Warranty Voider

The 'i get done loading all the files for windows' makes me think he's booted off the Windows disc for a freash install, so I don't think it's a corrupt OS, seems he's not that desperate though.
England  Offline
Old 09-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
.:indrid_cold:.
Restricted Access
Restricted Access

fixed...corrupt hard drive. although if anyone else has the problem, internet research has shown that the MBR (master Boot Record) can be corrupt. You can fix that by flashing a fdisk floppy and typing (in a DOS prompt), A:/mbr, or something like that...so, good luck if thats it.
United States  Offline
Old 09-16-2005, 10:49 PM   #6
MrShush
My OC's Break Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by undefeatedone
ah, I had that problem, apparently overclocking corrupted my windows installation, so I had to reformat. It's fine now.
hate to sound like a n00b, but does overclocking from a windows based program cause a windows failure? can this also happen from oc'ing in bios? this happened to me once before because like a dumbass i used gigabyte's easytune 5. since then, i try to stick to bios only oc's...
United States  Offline
Old 09-17-2005, 12:45 AM   #7
aztec_sun
Azaño Cinamomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShush
hate to sound like a n00b, but does overclocking from a windows based program cause a windows failure? can this also happen from oc'ing in bios? this happened to me once before because like a dumbass i used gigabyte's easytune 5. since then, i try to stick to bios only oc's...
Yeah, OCing can sometimes cause a windows corruption and require reformatting. This is especially an issue if you're not careful about making sure your AGP/PCI speeds are locked. That's the fastest way to corrupt the HD.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply