EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Video Cards, TV Tuners, Monitors > ATi Technologies
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #21
trajik78
Berries & Cream

i'd go with the silencer to helpo get the hot air get out of the case.

the stock cooling should be enough for the card as long as your aren't OCing it. i would check your case air flow first sounds like that's the problem unless you've removed and replaced the stock HSF from the VC w/o replacing the thermal paste.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-03-2006, 05:14 AM   #22
Tepabajo

Discovered my problem, ATI design issues.

After struggling for quite awhile with heat problems I finally decided to take the heatsink off and investigate. After reading many posts about low temps using the stock fan I realized that it wasn't a fan problem, and that the stock fan would work just fine. That could only mean that the connection between the heatsink and the processer was bad. The fan was cooling the heatsink but the chilling affect was not making it to the processer.

After removing the heatsink I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I cleaned the two surfaces like Artic Silver suggested and applied a new coating of thermal compound thin and smooth as recommended and put everything back together. Reinstalled the card, booted up the PC and right away I'm seeing temps starting at 50c and then climb to 104c playing Battlefield 1942 and then it locks up. I took the card out again and removed the heatsink and this is when I found the problem. Only about 10% of the heatsink was making contact with the processer! The thermal compound told me everything I needed to know in a heartbeat. Man was I ****ed and releaved at the same time, and that ain't easy to do!

So, all this time when we thought that ATI was putting too much TC on these boards it was intentional, they were actually doing it to cover up a bad design. Is "cover up" too strong a language? How about "work around", does that sound better? Well anyway, I recleaned the surface and applied a liberal amount of TC, enough that would fill in the gap. Reinstalled the heatsink and card and fired up the PC. Unbelievable results!!!!!!! My idle temps as I write this today at 4:30am is 32c and max load temp is 59c playing FarCry on VeryHigh settings and before I could barely get FC started before it locked up.

Conclusion: For all of you guys/gals having heat issues with your Radeon X850XT PE if you do what I did you will be amazed. With temps like this I doubt I even need to consider replacing the heatsink with a Artic Cooler, leave well enough alone.

Happy gaming.
Tepabajo
United States  Offline
Old 01-03-2006, 05:27 AM   #23
leekirlew
Mad Warranty Voider

Glad it worked out for you
England  Offline
Old 01-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #24
Tepabajo

Thanks man for trying to help me. I was using it this morning, no 3D activity, just normal use and the card temp was a solid 32c, what a difference. ArticSilver must work miracles.
Cheers
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #25
D_L_B
Take it to the MAX

I guess I should have read down a little bit before I posted my thread. You just answered my questions. I take it you had to pile on the AS5? Did you put it thick over the entire HS? Please elaborate and or give a pic if you dont mind.

Also, if you dont mind, what clock settings are you using?
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #26
trajik78
Berries & Cream

this topic has been covered over and over again, next time search the forums, your answers are within...

a little AS5 goes a long way.

CPU - you need no more than a "grain of rice" sized spot on the center of the CPU. check arctic silvers website for more info on installation.

GPU - use Ceramique do to it's non-conductive properties. the last thing you want is to get AS5 on some of the little resistors around the GPU. when you have an exposed core you spread a thin (but covering) layer off TIM on it. this includes exposed CPU's as well....

Last edited by trajik78 : 01-12-2006 at 11:48 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #27
D_L_B
Take it to the MAX

Thank you for the "search" reminder.

I have used AS5 and read their instructions many times. This is why I posted my question to the author. He stated he had to re-apply the AS5 with more than the recommended amount due to the large gap between the HS and GPU. Hence my question to him as to how much he used and where.
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #28
trajik78
Berries & Cream

well, if there's a larger than normal gap between the GPU & HS then he really should RMA it since it's probably defective. not a great solution, more like a quick fix.
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #29
Tepabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_L_B
I have used AS5 and read their instructions many times. This is why I posted my question to the author. He stated he had to re-apply the AS5 with more than the recommended amount due to the large gap between the HS and GPU. Hence my question to him as to how much he used and where.
Exactly, glad you saw that. The method I used to apply the TC was a combination of techniques that I have seen on websites. I cleaned as instructured by AS website, applied the TC, wrapped some thin plastic around my finger to rub it in and then used a credit card to smooth it out. Applying a thin coat the first time allowed me to see that it was not making full contact when I disassembled it the second time. The second time I applied enough TC right over the GPU to fill in the gap. That's it.
As for RMA'ing the card I'm going to replace the heatsink with the Artic Cooler's ATI Silencer Rev 5 anyway.
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #30
D_L_B
Take it to the MAX

I guess I may as well just do the dame thing and get an artic cooler. It's about that time anyway I am hoping to get my card up to 580 core and 600 mem with decent temps.

One last stupid question. When overclocking this video card, should I increase the PCIe frequency in my bios?
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #31
trajik78
Berries & Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_L_B
One last stupid question. When overclocking this video card, should I increase the PCIe frequency in my bios?
nope, keep your PCIE freq @ 100, and PCI @ 33. these frequency "locks"allow the high OC's that we've been accustomed to. before these were able to be adjusted you'd only be able to get up around a 20mHz OC since the PCI bus doesn't like to run any faster than stock.
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #32
D_L_B
Take it to the MAX

Cool, thanks.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply