EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Hard Drives, CD/DVD Drives & Flash Media
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 07-08-2006, 02:59 AM   #1
Ctraak
Learning To Overclock

RAID - do I have to lose ALL my data :-(

Built a new PC two months ago. Got a Maxtor MaxLineIII 250GB and have set up a dual boot of XP Pro and Vista 64, as well as tons of progs and games. I liked the Maxtor so much I bought another one, and now want to set up a RAID 0 array to speed up some of my heavy progs n games.

Is there any way to set up the array without losing all the data on my first drive? And if I make a ghost of the first drive, will this copy across the array?

I really really don't want to do a clean install.... I've tweaked most of my software to high heaven and it's a new build. Any suggestions?
Japan  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 07-08-2006, 04:12 AM   #2
slash_2_2000
No fire? Go higher!

Well, there's always the option of going with software RAID... I'm no expert, but from what I can tell...

You can partition both drives (both partitions have to have equal space) then use WinXP's inbuilt disk manager to stripe the partitions.

It's virtually as fast as hardware RAID, from the articles I've read, but it does use more system resources on the whole owing to the fact it's running via software instead of dedicated hardware.

I might be wrong, so I'd get a second opinion.

EDIT: Oh, and something I forgot to mention... Obviously if you stripe partitions, only the software installed on the striped partition will actually benefit from the RAID. In other words, Windows won't benefit, but if you install a game onto the partition, it should.

Take a look at this: PCstats Beginners Guides: Installing RAID on Desktop PCs
Australia  Offline
Old 07-08-2006, 05:26 AM   #3
Moop
Matter Out Of Place

XP software raid isn't very good. Don't use it.
You can use Ghost to make an image of your current system drive and copy it to your new array.
Install your raid drivers in XP before you make tha image. Also make sure that your imaging program can recognize your raid array. You'll probably need to have a floppy ready with your raid driver(s) on it.
I've done it many times and it works good.
Good luck
United States  Offline
Old 07-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
Ctraak
Learning To Overclock

Thanks both of you. I'll read up a bit on the software side of things, but will probably go for ghosting my existing drive and copying it over. Now, I'll have to go and buy a floppy drive!!
Japan  Offline
Old 07-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
slash_2_2000
No fire? Go higher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caakman
Thanks both of you. I'll read up a bit on the software side of things, but will probably go for ghosting my existing drive and copying it over. Now, I'll have to go and buy a floppy drive!!
Floppy drives, the ancient saviour of modern man.
Australia  Offline
Old 07-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
sam375
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
yeah, y can ghost the drive no big woop.
United States  Offline
Old 07-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
Ctraak
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash_2_2000
Floppy drives, the ancient saviour of modern man.
And time warp to bad memories of waiting for Amiga 500 \ Atari ST games to load. I'm going to wear ear plugs so I don't actually have to listen to it
Japan  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply