EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Intel Specific > Intel Processors
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
turb0holic
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Exclamation Need some info on overclocking my HP laptop!!?!

I have a HP Pavilion dv1000 with an intel celeron M 1.4mhz processor. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with overclocking it. The bios are locked out from the factory by HP, so I cant turn it up that way. Can someone help me out here? Thanks!!!

-Chris
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
gurusan
Overclocker

1) Overclocking laptops is usually a very bad idea as the cooling is terrible
2) I don't even think it's possible
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 10-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
ozymandias
Mad Warranty Voider

you could try with utilities as clockgen, overclocking through bios won't be possibile... but as said by guru, heat is an immense problem. You might see your overclock undone by thermal trotteling. Not to mention the effect on battery life...
Belgium  Offline
Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
jeighty7
outside the box

I overclocked mine. I have a Celly M 1.4ghz also. read:

1) go to the laptop section
2) read my thread http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...75#post2500575
3) DO AT YOUR OWN RISK, if you do not feel comfortable doing it, DON'T DO IT. it was really easy, but its REALLY easy to screw up.

i havent noticed much, if any heat issues. I cannot find a temp monitor to view my temps, so i play it by how loud the fan gets. not the smartest idea, i know, but it seems alright so far. As for batter life, I cannot vouch, as my stock battery is only a 4 cell battery, and it only gave me less than two hours on a full charge when it was new anyways. I'm getting a new battery soon if i can find one.

It is possible to overclock a laptop, but i would not even advise it if you don't really know what you are doing (not to brag). Laptops are much more complex and easier to screw up than desktops.
United States  Online
Old 10-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Smile Welcome to the Club!

ForGetAboutIt!

Last edited by davidhammock200 : 10-30-2006 at 03:02 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 10-30-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
jeighty7
outside the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhammock200 View Post
ForGetAboutIt!
that is concurred.

no offense turb0holic, but in reality, its not worth it. plus, your warranty goes *poof*, as well as your laptop if you screw it up.
United States  Online
Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Biggest problems with laptops are heat related & battery life,
OC'ing increases heat & decreases battery life. It is a NO-WIN situation.
United States  Offline
Old 10-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
Net
for(; ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
1) Overclocking laptops is usually a very bad idea as the cooling is terrible
2) I don't even think it's possible
Nuff said.
United States  Offline
Old 10-31-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
turb0holic
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

well how hard would it be to upgrade the processor?? is it a tricky thing to do? or can i just purchase one and plug it in and it will work?

Additional Comment:

also how can i go about finding the highest mhz processor my motherboard will take??

Last edited by turb0holic : 10-31-2006 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 10-31-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
jeighty7
outside the box

you cannot, i repeat, cannot, upgrade a laptop motherboard. there are distinct instances where you can, but no, you can't. as for processors, try a socket 479 400mhz fsb celly-m or pentium-m, NOT PENTIUM 4!!! however, it is not smart to do this, unless you know exactly what you are doing. laptop cpu's are much more delicate, and there are 2 versions of the 479-pin socket.

you are looking down the wrong road here. Laptops arent designed for upgrading and overclocking. its not worth it to upgrade the processor. upgrade the memory and the hard drive, throw in a dvd burner if you would like. thats it.

if you really want to overclock, invest in a desktop.
United States  Online
Old 10-31-2006, 01:51 PM   #11
bravotsx
Space Monkey

show a screenshot of CPUz...if you have a dothan 400MHz fsb laptop, AND HP has similar models as your current laptop featuring a 533MHz BUS, then you are in luck.

you can do a pinmod to get to 1.866GHz.

since you'll be taking apart your laptop for this mod, i'd recommend cleaning up the factory thermal paste and using some arctic silver ceramique (if you're unsure of yourself) or arctic silver 5 (if you know what you're doing) and replace the stock thermal interface material.

i've overclocked my friend's HP nx6110 with no ill effects..the battery life did suffer a little but not too bad ~ 3:30 down to 3:00 or so; the celeron does not have speedstep technology so you get hit on battery life.

cooling wise, i used some Arctic Silver Ceramique and it's now running cooler than it was at stock...the speed increase is 33% faster across the board, except for memory read/write, which increased ~25%.

i guess you'll be needing an intel Sonoma chipset to do it. (915)

http://laptoplogic.com/resources/detail.php?id=35

oh yeah, and with rightmark, you might be able to change the powerstates and underclock your laptop if you need to; but then the omission of speedstep might prevent that. i only learned about righmark after i helped my friend pinmod his 1.7GHz pentium m.

Last edited by bravotsx : 10-31-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 10-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
turb0holic
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

im just asking because i am not sure. i updated the memory from (2) 256 to 1 512 and 1 256 and i will be getting another 512 soon. the hard drive im gunna go from the 60gig to an 80 also. i was just seeing what i could do to get something a little better than this 1.4celeron without too much work. ive changed processors in a desktop so i was just wondering if it would be worth it to purchase the 1.8 centreno chip that came in the better models of the dv1000 and put it in mine
United States  Offline
Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
jeighty7
outside the box

Centrino is not a processor. centrino is just a marketing gimick. all it is is a pentium m with an intel wireless card.

bravotsx is right, because thats exactly what i did.
United States  Online
Old 10-31-2006, 04:20 PM   #14
davidhammock200
Old Fart OverClocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0holic View Post
im just asking because i am not sure. i updated the memory from (2) 256 to 1 512 and 1 256 and i will be getting another 512 soon. the hard drive im gunna go from the 60gig to an 80 also. i was just seeing what i could do to get something a little better than this 1.4celeron without too much work. ive changed processors in a desktop so i was just wondering if it would be worth it to purchase the 1.8 centreno chip that came in the better models of the dv1000 and put it in mine
That would be a CPU swap, not OC'ing!

Contact tech support for your lappy &
they can tell you what upgrade CPU's are possible & all of the BIOS details.

Good Luck,
Dave
United States  Offline
Old 11-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
turb0holic
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

so i just call HP and tell them what model laptop i have and they can tell me what the fastest processor upgrade I can do to my computer??
United States  Offline
Old 11-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #16
jeighty7
outside the box

Quote:
so i just call HP and tell them what model laptop i have and they can tell me what the fastest processor upgrade I can do to my computer??
no, they wont. they dont want you to upgrade it, they dont want you to open it up. you can call, yes, but i highly doubt they will help you at all.
United States  Online
Old 11-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #17
bjoci
mes que un club

This thread got "smoke from electronic devices" written all over it.

Romania  Offline
Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #18
turb0holic
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

alright then where can i go to get my processor upgraded then??
United States  Offline
Old 11-16-2006, 07:18 PM   #19
jeighty7
outside the box

Quote:
alright then where can i go to get my processor upgraded then??
listen dude, it is strongly not recommended. laptops are designed for specific thermal ranges. if you upgrade the cpu, it will generate more heat, and you could do some damage. laptops are NOT designed to have the cpu upgraded. besides, for the cost of getting a better cpu, you might as well save it and build a desktop later.

if you are still willing to do this, look for a socket 479 400mhz fsb p-m or celly-m. maybe 533mhz fsb, i don't know if it will work though.

Last edited by jeighty7 : 11-16-2006 at 07:25 PM.
United States  Online
Old 11-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #20
SPD010273
Mad Warranty Voider

if you could fit a kickass heatsink within the 1" height requirements for lappys now a days, upgrading the CPU would be worth it. IRL... it's not. higher speed=more heat, more heat for an already crappy heatsink to get rid of, or, as in most cases, more heat to fry that brand new CPU, and maybe some other stuff too.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply