EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > General System Help & Questions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
seren
Learning To Overclock

CPU fan not connected ?

I have just made a stupid mistake, just installed new HSF and forgot to connect the fan, got error beeps and turned off straight away will this have done permanent damage ?
Wales  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
ShadowKK
Overclocker

you should be fine.
United States  Offline
Old 01-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
seren
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKK View Post
you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply, well it's still running and there are no burning smells it was only a few seconds on beeps and then off, I am sure that it's off longer when cool and quite enabled ?, anyway I can't beleive I forgot to connect the fan after all I was instlling a new HSF, a Noctua Nh-U9 a lot quieter than the stock intel one.

Additional Comment:

Ok just ran orthos and all was Ok temps 46 on one core 44 on the other, so I guess I have not done any damage.

Last edited by seren : 01-16-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Wales  Offline
Old 01-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
AruisDante
Son of Sanguinius

yep, modern CPU's have built in protection to stop them from frying themselves when overheating. Some MB's won't even let you turn your comp on without an MB fan attached.
United States  Offline
Old 01-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
seren
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AruisDante View Post
yep, modern CPU's have built in protection to stop them from frying themselves when overheating. Some MB's won't even let you turn your comp on without an MB fan attached.

Thanks for that I can now sleep without having nightmares about having to buy a new one I just can't beleive I was so stupid to do that, so I take it that when they get to a certain temp it switches itself of or throttles back yes ?
Wales  Offline
Old 01-16-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
AruisDante
Son of Sanguinius

Yep. And if they get over a certain threshold they shut down all together.
United States  Offline
Old 01-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
kingzzz
Overclocking Junkie

na ur all good. as it was a new cpu cooler it should be cold and takes a while for it to heat the chunk of metal up to stop the transfer of heat.
New Zealand  Offline
Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
jmilch
Overqwocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
Thanks for the reply, well it's still running and there are no burning smells it was only a few seconds on beeps and then off, I am sure that it's off longer when cool and quite enabled ?, anyway I can't beleive I forgot to connect the fan after all I was instlling a new HSF, a Noctua Nh-U9 a lot quieter than the stock intel one.

Additional Comment:

Ok just ran orthos and all was Ok temps 46 on one core 44 on the other, so I guess I have not done any damage.
No damage, they are made to sense and turn off, now 10 years ago... you'd have smelled that familiar electornics burning and cermaic melting smell!
United States  Offline
Old 01-17-2007, 02:25 AM   #9
seren
Learning To Overclock

Thanks for the replies all seems ok, I won't make that mistake again
Wales  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply