EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > General System Help & Questions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
trismegistus
I NEED MORE VOLTS!

Can a bad cpu cause artifacting?

I read somwhere that a guy with socket A Sempy has blown up his psu and cuz of that the comp started to artifact on desktop(all over the screen) as well as in the games.He brought the comp in some repair centar,and they said it was the cpu.They replaced the cpu and everything worked fine.They even gave him his old cpu.Do you think this is possible?
Serbia  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-10-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
Kev_Dawg
Learning To Overclock

For my knowledge I would say that's false, the only way to get artifacts would lay in the hands of the video card. If you push the GPU or MEM to far with out supplying it with enough voltages it would just display artifacts. That is one way, another way would be high temperatures that can cause artifacts as well for what I know. Maybe it can be the CPU, but for what I know I would think it's impossible because the CPU is not video related.
Canada  Offline
Old 02-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
enjoidvssk8er
dell-tastic

maybe if he was using onboard graphics. But artifacts are usally gpu related
United States  Offline
Old 02-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
greatscott68
Spockasmick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trismegistus View Post
I read somwhere that a guy with socket A Sempy has blown up his psu and cuz of that the comp started to artifact on desktop(all over the screen) as well as in the games.He brought the comp in some repair centar,and they said it was the cpu.They replaced the cpu and everything worked fine.They even gave him his old cpu.Do you think this is possible?
Sounds like the "geek squad" strikes again. I highly doubt that it was his CPU, as artifacts are graphical stuff. Sounds like a nice sale was made by the repair center, though Maybe the new PSU had a little something to do with everything working again, as well.
United States  Offline
Old 02-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
HyperFang
Behold my glory!

Yeah, it almost definiately wasn't eh CPU at fault. My guess is that they were "troubleshooting" it and found that he'd taken off the HS and reapplied some thermal paste and they decided that since he did, the processor must be screwed. Usually, when the CPU goes, the system won't boot up because of the errors it returns.

Replacing the PSU most likely was the cause of his system working properly again. If you know the guy, tell him to try out his CPU again either in his system, or another. Odds are that it will work perfectly.
United States  Offline
Old 02-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
theyonggrand
Shoestring Gamer

The 'artifacts' are always caused by the GPU first if it's overheating or faulty. Meanwhile lockups and certain VPU recovers (or Infinite Loop errors) are often caused by overheating CPU or bad memory if I'm not mistaken.
Malaysia  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply