EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > General Windows Troubleshooting
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
liljdirty
To OC.. or not to OC

Vista Advanced BOOT Options - PCI Locks

Okay, so I'm messin' around with settings in Vista HP, tailoring the boot to my specifications and I clicked Advanced boot options and up pops this windows that allows me to choose how many processors and max memory. The next option available is PCI Locks with a checkbox.

What the hell is it, should it be compared to PCI Locks from within the BIOS? I dont have PCI Locks on my MB, so if this option does what it says, then I might be able to get higher clocks?

Anyone know what the PCI Locks option is in Advanced BOOT options within MSCONFIG?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	advancedbootoptions_pcilocks.png
Views:	453
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	100371  

Last edited by liljdirty : 02-22-2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added picture
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-23-2007, 02:10 AM   #2
liljdirty
To OC.. or not to OC

does anyone know what it is?
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 AM   #3
Bryn
Got RB26???

be patient mate... all the other yanks seem to be in bed lol.. be on liek a hour or two normally i think???
Australia  Offline
Old 03-01-2007, 04:49 AM   #4
liljdirty
To OC.. or not to OC

ok, so does this mean that nobody knows what the PCI Lock option in the advanced boot configuration menu does?

Additional Comment:

one last attempt at reviving my thread. Does anyone know what the hell the PCI Lock option is for in the advanced boot config menu of MSCONFIG? i have vista hp.

Last edited by liljdirty : 03-01-2007 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
nickvda
Learning To Overclock

Windows reassigns resources to PCI devices at boot up. These settings are saved in non-volatile memory and are "partially" used during subsequent PCI hardware installations. There is a bug in this software which can assign and share resources between cards. Most of the problems related to SensAble's PCI interface card have come from the sharing of resources between PCI cards in the system. After installing the SensAble PCI interface card, some of the resources (particularly the interrupts) can become shared. This can result in "blue screens" if the non-SensAble PCI card does not recognize non-native interrupts and tries to process SensAble's PCI card interrupts.
Most of this can be alleviated by adding the /PCILOCK option to the boot statement in the boot.ini file (usually located in c:\boot.ini) before installing the SensAble PCI interface card. If you have installed the card already and are having problems, remove the card, edit the boot.ini as below, shut down the system, install the SensAble PCI card and then power the system back up.
For more information, see the Microsoft knowledge base article Q148501 - Preventing PCI Resource Conflicts on Intel-Based Computers.
The PCILOCK option will maintain resource assignment for installed boards as long as they are still valid. This will reduce the chances for shared resource assignments after the SensAble PCI card is installed.

Hope this helps
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply