EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Video Cards, TV Tuners, Monitors > General Video Card Discussion
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-25-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
EvuLFleA
H20 user

Screen keeps going black -odd problem

Started a few weeks ago my screen would randomly flash off while playing a game. By flashing off I mean it goes black for about 1 second and then comes back. Kind of like when you change the resolution and the screen momentarily refreshes.

At first I figured my card was going bad but today I put it in a different computer and tested it on the very same monitor (Dell 2005FPW) and it worked perfectly. Not a single flash.

If nothing is moving on the screen - mouse, graphics, etc. then it won't generally do it. Well, not near as often. Like while I'm typing this my screen is just going nuts. It's giving me a massive headache.

Now, since the card (9800 pro) seemed to work fine I'm guessing that's not it? What could it be? Perhaps the voltage going to this card is out of whack? Bad mobo (asus p4p800)?

Anyone want to point me in the right direction?
Afghanistan  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
DSwarP
J.D. Freeman

Try a different monitor on that card?
United States  Offline
Old 05-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
EvuLFleA
H20 user

Well, I've tried the card in my other computer on the same monitor and it worked fine.

I'm starting to lean towards bad mobo or PSU.
Afghanistan  Offline
Old 05-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
DSwarP
J.D. Freeman

Well that's what I mean though, if you have OTHER monitors do it with that setup, it's obviously a problem with the computer. If it doesn't, it could still be a problem with the monitor, or it's a problem with the monitor/computer combo.

Additional Comment:

Do you have another video card to put into that computer? If another video card does it, it's probably the motherboard.

Also, shot in the dark, but the cable maybe?

Last edited by DSwarP : 05-26-2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 06-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
EvuLFleA
H20 user

I plan on borrowing a friends card to swap onto this mobo and see if the same thing happens. I'm betting it does.

I'll post up results later this weekend.

Thanks.

Additional Comment:

Replaced the mobo and it still does it.

Tried vid card on diff computer and works perfect

Tried monitor on 3 diff puters and it works fine.

I'm almost positive it's a driver/software issue at this point. I'm going to format my windows drive and reinstall. Not sure what else it could be. Haven't tried PSU yet...

Last edited by EvuLFleA : 06-07-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Afghanistan  Offline
Old 06-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
DSwarP
J.D. Freeman

Very strange indeed. I wish you luck.
United States  Offline
Old 06-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
EvuLFleA
H20 user

More updates. Not that anybody cares but incase someone searches for this problem in the future :P

Anyway, reinstalled windows, nothin..Same flickering happening. Son-of-a...

I decide to unplug my 2 dvd drives and use that cable to power my vid card. Voila - it's working. Tried out a few more things and it looks like my PSU can't keep up anymore. It's a big 500+ watt TTGi PSU but it's 3 years old. 24/7 computer @ 3 years is almost 30,000 hours. I guess that's about what most are rated.

I've got 2 hdd's, 3 case fans, 1 cpu fan, 1 vid card, 1 sound card, a dvd-rom, and a dvd-rw. You'd think that PSU would be plenty and it has been. I guess it's getting old and not putting out what it used to though.

Last edited by EvuLFleA : 06-08-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Afghanistan  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply