EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Digital Cameras, Camcorders, & Web Cams
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
repoman
You have my Axe!

Photoshop color different from Windows Pic Viewer color

I've been trying to get some pictures ready with Photoshop to put up here in one of the threads, but I have a weird color related problem. My pictures look better (edit: not sure about better, but I just want consistency) in Windows picture and fax viewer than in photoshop, and since I suck at photoshop, I can't fix them up the right way. Is there any way for me to change a color profile or something in photoshop to help me out?

Same thing but saved with paint

United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
vai0
><>

thats weird, i would guess the actual picture is the photoshop one and stupid windows pic viewer changes it. The eyes look totally different
United States  Offline
Old 06-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
repoman
You have my Axe!

Well, I also just checked it with Microsoft Office Picture Manager (only other thing that can open it on my computer) and it looks the same as in the pic viewer.

Here's your internet browser's rendition of the picture -

Firefox thinks it's the same as pic viewer / microsoft office thing. So photoshop is wrong here - anyone know how to get it to display the colors correctly? Maybe if any of you have time, you could save that big picture and open it in Photoshop.. see how it turns out for you

Additional Comment:

Got it - Photoshop isn't the problem, everything else is

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00IJYv

I can make it look like pic viewer by going to view, proof setup, monitor rgb

Last edited by repoman : 06-18-2007 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
Atasuke
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Repoman your operating system is set to use a custom colour profile and photoshop is using its own which is why when you open your images in photoshop they look different or viceversa.

I can't remember exactly how in windows XP but if you go to your display properties, click the "Advanced settings" button then click the "color management" tab then click the "color management" button you should see a window where you can add and choose your colour profile, if you don't want to mess about too much and make things complicated just select the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 ICC colour profile. Make sure you set it as your default colour profile then click ok or apply etc and restart your system. Try opening images now to see how they appear, if they still seem different in photoshop then go to the preferences screen and change the colour profile it uses in there too.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
repoman
You have my Axe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atasuke View Post
Repoman your operating system is set to use a custom colour profile and photoshop is using its own which is why when you open your images in photoshop they look different or viceversa.

I can't remember exactly how in windows XP but if you go to your display properties, click the "Advanced settings" button then click the "color management" tab then click the "color management" button you should see a window where you can add and choose your colour profile, if you don't want to mess about too much and make things complicated just select the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 ICC colour profile. Make sure you set it as your default colour profile then click ok or apply etc and restart your system. Try opening images now to see how they appear, if they still seem different in photoshop then go to the preferences screen and change the colour profile it uses in there too.
Yeah that sRGB profile is the default in Photoshop (or maybe it reads that my images are in sRGB).

I did a quick color configure on my monitor today, I read that 9300K color temperature is too blue and that I should use 6500K. I didn't like 6500, so since my monitor (Dell P1130) supports steps of 100K I chose 7500, and then configured gamma with QuickGamma. It doesn't look nasty and yellow anymore, colors look better than ever before with this - black levels are better as well.

I also changed my Canon 350D to use the Adobe RGB profile, since I read it uses a bigger color gamut than sRGB - sRGB was designed for cheaper, low end monitors. And, despite my P1130 being a few years old, it's far from low end, it was $1000 in it's day So now I have to change my Photoshop default to Adobe RGB, at least when I'm editing my own images.
United States  Offline
Old 06-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
jeremy
moo!

repo, i work for a professional photographer, he uses 6500K

Levels and curves are your friend .. Ctrl + L .... drag the arrows till its next to the black histogram on both ends.... Ctrl M if you want it brighter..

Then do Image Adjustment, Hue and Saturation, and turn it down if its too red

I also suggest getting a "monitor brightness" enhancer (i dont know what its called) and a wax printer
United States  Offline
Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
repoman
You have my Axe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
repo, i work for a professional photographer, he uses 6500K

Levels and curves are your friend .. Ctrl + L .... drag the arrows till its next to the black histogram on both ends.... Ctrl M if you want it brighter..

Then do Image Adjustment, Hue and Saturation, and turn it down if its too red

I also suggest getting a "monitor brightness" enhancer (i dont know what its called) and a wax printer
Hey jeremy, thanks for the reply

Yeah I am very familiar with levels and curves - though levels has become useless to me since I got the 350D, as the camera always fills the histogram. Any changes I make will wash out whites or "black out" darker areas.

Curves has also become tough, as the 350D has very good contrast to begin with and I only know how to use curves to enhance contrast in an image. I can play around with it to help with colors but it always ends up looking worse than it did.

Do you think it's OK that I'm using 7500K though? I've already spent like half an hour adjusting my gamma values with quickgamma and don't want to have to do it all over again.
United States  Offline
Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
Turtile
Overclocker

I leave the files in RAW format and I have my color matched to the prints. I just adjusted the monitor so what I see on paper is the same as what I see on the monitor.
United States  Offline
Old 06-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
CybrSlydr
Special Fish?

IIRC, Adobe RGB mainly only uses more greens and can display colors incorrectly in sRGB format to those who don't use Adobe RGB.

EIDT:
Quote:
As mentioned, 8-bit RGB provides for a total of 16.7 million colors. While that is quite a few, it pales in comparison to 16-bit RGB where there are 281 trillion possible colors. This doesn't give us even more saturated colors beyond the range of 8-bit; it gives us more colors in between each of the established 8-bit colors. So many more in fact that it utterly overwhelms any problem that may have resulted from the wider gamut. While it is always a good idea to do your editing in 16-bit mode, it is even more important when working in a wider gamut color space. After editing, you can optionally convert to 8-bit if needed since no further data loss can occur.
So which is better? As with many things, the answer is, "it depends." You have to step back to ask "better for what?"
If you are posting images on the web, sRGB is clearly better since Adobe RGB images will likely not display correctly. But if you are sending your images to a commercial printer they will prefer Adobe RGB or even CMYK. If you are printing at home, you can generally benefit from the wider gamut of Adobe RGB as well since current desktop printers with expanded ink sets can print colors beyond sRGB.
If you shoot in jpeg, your choice of color space in-camera can be important. If you use sRGB, you will be limited to colors that can be represented in sRGB. Even if you later convert to Adobe RGB, you won't end up with colors that were never captured. If you shoot in Adobe RGB, you'll need to contend with converting to sRGB at least for posting images to the web but you'll still have a master file that has the expanded gamut for other uses. If you shoot in raw, you can defer the choice of color space until you get your images onto your computer, but you generally can't ignore it completely. Many online photo printers deal exclusively in sRGB since that is the lowest common denominator. I'm guessing they have judged that keeping things simple minimizes the customer service and support issues they have to deal with, lowering their costs. But that doesn't mean you have to let them dictate how you shoot. Just be sure to follow their rules and convert things accordingly before you send them images to print.
Working in Adobe RGB can be at least marginally more complicated since so many programs default to sRGB. If you do work in sRGB, you can often ignore at least some aspects of color management and still have images that look acceptable. Working in Adobe RGB requires you to understand more how you are interpreting color throughout your workflow. If you're a regular reader here, you know that I've tried to do my part to help spread understanding in this area. It's not really all that complicated, but it sure can seem that way at first. A bit of time spent on learning about color management can yield much greater control of how your images end up looking.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...gb-debate.html
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply