EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > General System Help & Questions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
jmknotreel
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Dual Xeon E5410 Overclockable?

First, hello to everyone - first post here, yay!

I'm completely new the world of overclocking and as I started to look into a new rig to do my 3D Modeling/Rendering (and yes of course the obligatory gaming!) on I started thinking about overclocking. Something I've always been interested in but never made the time to learn about as I work a full time job and then on my free time doing either modeling and rendering for myself or modeling for a UT3 total conversion mod for the past year and probably another year till it's complete.

The following is the system I am looking at, so far it is the best performing system for my current $2000.00 budget and requirements. So far I have been able to keep it around $1850.00 but I already own the RAM, Video Card and Sound Card.

CPU1: Intel Xeon E5410 Harpertown 2.33GHz
CPU2: Intel Xeon E5410 Harpertown 2.33GHz
Motherboard: TYAN S5382WAG2NRF Dual 771 Intel 5000P
RAM: 4GB PQI Turbo DDR2 667
HDD1: WD Caviar 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
HDD2: WD Caviar 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
GPU: EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
Audio: X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
Case: CM Stacker STC-T01-UWK

I am considering adding to/replacing the ram with 8-16 gigs more/another brand but I'm not sure what would be overclockable on a system such as this or if the PQI is just fine.

I'm not a huge hardware buff but I think I've done some pretty exhaustive research on what meets my needs best, I am however open to suggestions on components as I'm sure some of you are far better versed on the subject than myself.

Thanks in advance!
JM

Edit: Great forums by the way! I've been reading them for the past 3-4 hours and I could easily spend weeks here and probably not learn everything I'd like to!
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

Nope. I highly doubt that will overclock. Stay with S775 because I think 771s are server sockets that require FB-DIMMs and a buttload of money. Probably a highly overclocked 45nm quad will do fine w\ 4-8GB of RAM (4GB for a higher overclock).
United States  Offline
Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
jmknotreel
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Unfortunately octa-core is not a "nice to have" for me. Yes the board uses FB-DIMMs. There is however several boards that don't use the FB-DIMMs. Do the FB-DIMMS make it impossible to overclock the RAM?
United States  Offline
Old 02-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Riceburner
RUN NAKED FTW

Welcome to EOCF

Agree with poster above me. Ditch the cpu/mobo. S775 is where its at.

-IMO-

Go for a q6600 now or wait for the 45nm quads that should be hitting retail here very soon. Personally I would definately wait at this point, we have to be what down to 30 days tops?

I really like my Nforce board, but seeing you wont be doing SLI or anything, its kind of a waste, assuming the software wont take advantage. I have a degree in computer animation and graphic design - but I have no idea if 3d programs like 3dsmax, Maya, Blender etc. would utilize it? Hoping that someone could chime in on this one... (cause SLI G92 GT/GTS for the $ would be kick *** if supported in any fashion for real time rendering)

TBH unless you are working in some really really intense 3d stuff - 4gb should probally be enough. However I might actually recomend 2x2gb sticks to begin for you, that way you could do another 2x2 if you felt the need. In your situation I would consider possibly some ddr2 1066 or possibly even ddr3 if for yorkfield (45nm quads coming soon) it makes sense. TBH - I'm not that versed on ddr3. FWIW Me and LOTS of other members have gotten great performance from Crucial Ballistix.

For a hard disk I would also look at the Seagate Barracuda with 32mb cache - they perform very well and are within your budget.

What display you using?
United States  Offline
Old 02-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

If you need that high end of a rig that you need 8-16 true cores (not Hyper Threaded) then you should forget overclocking because those high end rigs are usually servers anyway.
United States  Offline
Old 02-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
Riceburner
RUN NAKED FTW

We talking about stuff like SGI boxes?

http://www.sgi.com/industries/render_mgt/

http://www.sgi.com/pdfs/3941.pdf
United States  Offline
Old 02-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
jmknotreel
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

The Xeon E5410 is a 45nm quad.

Unlike the Q6600 it has 4 pipelines instead of 2.

The 8 cores make rendering massively faster than 2 or 4 cores. An hour long render on a 2 core processor only takes about 10-15 minutes tops on an octa-core system.

I just discovered an answer to my question, for anyone who is interested the multipliers on the E5410 are unlocked so OCing can be done directly.

Edit: going with faster ram won't help me, DDR2 667 will already move data as fast as it can be moved through the FSB. If I go with faster ram it would move data so much faster than the FSB (even overclocked) that it would be a waste.

My display is a ViewsonicVX2235wm (22") soon to be a VX2835wm (27.5" 3ms)

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
Not exactly no. I'm not rendering off a bunch of video, mostly raytraced stills.

Last edited by jmknotreel : 02-16-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply