EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Cool General : How to make your desktop/laptop even cooler when not OCed!

GUIDE to a BETTER and COOLER LAPTOP/DESKTOP EXPERIENCE
v1.1 by me. obviously o_O
No pictures and screenshots as of now, since I dont have the time to take them. Theyre coming later, and I will update along if people got questions, comments or something to add here.
But first things first :
I tested those things personally, and used daily for weeks and months what Im gonna tell you. Any saying done here is based on my own experience, you have the right to trust me or not, it's all up to you.
And secondly, here's a small disclaimer :
I'm holding NO responsibility if you try this at home. Of course I recommend it 'cause it's a "safe" thing to do, but it's like when you overclock your rig. There's gonna be some instability if you rush it. And Im holding myself not responsible if any kind of crashes happens and you lose data.
Lastly :
Some temps may be wrote differently than others (in italic). This is just to tell you that it is a speculative data, based on my own experiences. Its gonna be that way since I can't use my more performing and hotter laptop to try stuff. Such data is going to be based on my memory.
Temps were monitored using RightMark CPU Clock utility (RMClock) and also using SpeedFan. If you want me to try with another software ask me and Ill see what I can do.
All temps are wrote using Celcius measuring. No Farenheit for some of you Sorry!

People are angry about their laptops which OVERHEATS (read: burn) when they use it. People want their laptop to runs less hot so it will feel more comfortable.

-------------------------------------------------

First, I think you need to know how most laptop cooling solutions works. They normally uses one main heatsink to cover both the CPU and GPU, as well as the northbridge (chipset) and possibly other hot components. Saying "My CPU/GPU is hot when I play" is NOT due to an overheating CPU, but rather than a heat accumulation between all those components.

Also, mobiles/laptops can handle much greater temps than desktop chips. For example, my old Asus G1's video card (GeForce Go 7700) could handle up to 110C or 120C before going in "Emergency Cooling Mode", which is to throtthe down the whole computer to stop the heat. The CPU can also take a good amount of heat, altho I cannot feed you with any numbers.

The undervolting solution presented by me is also good for any non-overclocked desktop computer. Although most of custom computers allows voltage modification in-BIOS, some of branded desktops, like HP, Acer and whatever you have, wont allow you that. You may use that software solution if you want to lower your temps.

Your main first choice to help your laptop to be cooler would be to logically blow your heatsink out of all dust. Dust will accumulate in it, and with time it will block parts of it.

Grab an air-compressed can at your favourite store (Duster is NOT recommended, I cant remember why, maybe because of the gas), and gently blow air in the heatsink and in any vents your laptop has. Be sure not to flip or shake the can while doing so - the liquid will flow through and hit your parts and freeze there! Might be dangerous for your parts.
Quote:
HEATSINK VENTING
Effect : By using a can of compressed air, you will blow off as much dust as you can from your heatsink.
Temps
Before = Lets suppose 80C
Temp change = Depending on how much dust there is, the amount of heat removed will be different. If laptop overheats at 80C because of alot of dust, you might pull those numbers by a good 20C.
Price = A can of compressed air is cheap, and can be used for many other things.
Recommended? Dust kills airflow. Airflow is what cools down your parts. Got it?

So, you want to make your laptop cooler, and youre thinking about a notebook cooler? Here's a tip (and actually one of the solutions, cause it REALLY works). Spend that money on beer. Thats right, I said it, beer. Or Pepsi, or whatever you feel like drinking, as long as it have a bottle cap. You know why? Cause you'll want to use the bottle caps to put under your laptop pads, so that it sits higher, having more space on the underside to draw and blow more air around. It can be other stuff than beer caps, you know (Pepsi plastic caps, cardbord, be creative, it's the key!). Ive seen reviews where in my case, it would have been better to spend the same amount of money on some beer and get the same result without using batteries or any USB ports and more noise.

Quote:
LAPTOP UNDERPADS
Effect : Raises the laptop to allow more air increase airflow to underneath traps.
Temps
Before = Around the 60-70s
Temp change = About 3-4 degrees drop
Price = fairly cheap, depending on your taste. You may want to use cardboard, wood, coke bottle caps, whatever you feel like using to raise your laptop.
Recommended? Of course, if your way of using your lappy allows you that. It does help when it's under heavy load, such as folding or gaming.

I have seen a couple of suggestions from here that makes ALOT of sense, especially on older overheating laptops. This MIGHT void your warranty, so be extra-careful, since it will need you to disassemble either parts or your whole laptop to access the CPU heatsink.

So you can either do like I did on my old Compaq Evo n620C and struggle without any info on how to disassemble the thing, or gather some info about disassembling it first. You will also need to remember, maybe mark, where your stuff is going. There is ALOT of screws in a laptop. Pictures are great.

Basically, you will need to buy a tube of Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease, pull out heatsink out of your laptop, clean any thermal interface product that the company used on it (by using Isopropylic Alcohol, 90% the best or less is still OK, I do fine with 70%), also clean your processor (be EXTRA careful with that one. Pins are FRAGILE) of the old thermal paste. You will most likely have to clean your graphic processor and possibly your northbridge, or any other components that actually that stuff with the heatsink to cool it down. Then you will apply some fresh new Arctic Silver 5 on your components by using those instructions closely. Too much paste is just as bad as not enough, you might regret it if you screw up, so pay close attention to what you do.

Those instructions are based on processor chips, so you will be able to follow those instructions for your stuff. Use the Exposed Chip instructions for any chips that does not have an integrated heatspreader (the large metal plating on newer processors), that will most likely be your video chip, northbridge and everything else.

Pick your instructions for the processor that is the closest to yours. Those pictures and documentations are for desktop (and probably bigger) chips, but will also apply to mobiles. Just be sure to adapt the amount of AS5 you put on your stuff, dont put a rice grain worth of AS5 on your northbridge

Once finished, drop the heatsink back in your laptop on your parts, don't remove it afterwards (if you do so, you will have to clean back and re-apply, because pulling out the seated heatsink will create air bubbles that are bad). Screw everything back, and yourr parts should be a tad bit more cooler now.

Note that thermal paste needs a 200-hour break-in period during which you won't use your laptop 24/7, or leave it on. The AS5 needs to be heated up and be cooled back to room temperatures to successfully sit there. Not that you cannot run it at 100% for a game - just dont run it at 100% for days. Let it cool down.
Quote:
ARCTIC SILVER 5 APPLICATION
Effect : Changes the thermal "pads" company uses on their heatsink to make contact with the chips, with high-quality Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease.
Temps
Before = ?
Temp change = 3-5C (according to stubear666)
Price = A stick of AS5 3.5grams can be had for less than $10 on the net. Considering you can use it later on your desktop or other laptops, it's worth it.
Recommended ? I did not test this one myself, but yes, AS5 > OEM thermal pads. After the break-in period it should be helping a tad bit.

Now for the biggest piece of cake in making your laptop run cooler.
Note that this part will take some time to finish, and if you rush through it you may get problems afterwards, such as instability under full load that may result in BSOD and system crashes/reboots and eventually DATA LOSS if you're doing something while it crashes.

RightMark carries some excellent softwares around. The one Im gonna show you now is RightMark CPU Clock Utility. It can be downloaded by clicking here, scrolling down the page and downloading RMClock. Note that it's NOT a
shareware nor a malware. It's a totally free of use software that will boot along with your computer once it's running correctly (and configured to do so). Once it is downloaded, install it just like a normal software. Reboot if necessary or if you're feeling so.

With no current screenshot, itll be a little bit harder to understand that part, but if you follow everything up you should be all right. As of today Im using RMClock version 2.35.0 built on 2008/02/29. Its the one they currently have on their website, today being October 18th of 2008.

You'll also have to install Prime95 found here to torture your setup and test it. Once it's installed make one shortcut on your desktop for EACH of your Cores (got a single? one shortcut. Dual? 2. Quad? 4. Two Nehalem 8-cores proccies? 16. You get it.) Youll leave the first shortcut there, but all others you will add a flag to the command line. Right click on the second shortcut, open Properties, and in Shortcut where's the command line ("C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe") you'll add an " -a1" without the " " at the end. So itll be something like this : "C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe" -a1 . In any case you got a quadcore, you'll want to put -a2, -a3 etc to other following shortcuts. hit OK. EDIT: I think the latest Prime95 version automatically allows multiple threads of tha application running when you launch a test.

Now, you'll have to run each of them, hit "Only Benching" or something in the waves of torture, stress and bench. In the Advanced menu, hit Affinity..., uncheck the box and the first shortcut will be CPU 0 (for the 1st core). Second shortcut will be CPU 1, and so on for the x number of cores and CPU youve got.. Hit OK, then go under Options, go in Torture Test. Choose In-place large FFTs, hit OK, do that for all instances. To stop them, it's under File, you'll see stop. You can also right click the icon in the taskbar and hit stop there.

Now, fire up RMClock. You can mess around in Settings, like your desired temp unit (C or F), if you want to log your monitoring data, etc. It's also where you'll set up RMClock to fire up with your computer, but I suggest waiting till it's working perfectly before doing that. CPU Info shows, well, some infos on your CPU cores, along with infos on current multiplier, voltage, and temp. Monitoring does exactly what it says. Management carries some options that I dont touch. WHat we were looking for is the Profiles section. Open it up, youll see "No management, Power saving, Maximal performance and Performance on demand". Now, im assuming SpeedStep and Cool'n'Quiet stuff are all enabled in bios.

In the 4 drop down menus, you'll choose Performance on demand for all of them. Check all the Index boxes, the number of multipliers will depend on your CPU; my T5200 has from 6x to 12x. Dont touch voltages now, it'll be in a second. At the left, youll go in Performance on demand menu. Check the two "Use P-state transitions (PST) for AC and battery, and again check all of the Index boxes there's in those two windows. Go back in Profiles, and be sure all instances of Prime95 are torturing your rig. If you want to monitor your temp, right click the small "wheel" that appeared in the taskbar when you launched RMClock, and check "Show CPU temp icon in tray". Its useful

Now the long part. Dont do other things while you are doing that part that you dont want to lose if your computer BSOD or restarts. Drop your highest multi's VID by one bit, apply and go in CPU info. Check to be sure your Current VID has lowered as well. You should also see a decrease in temperature. Wait about one minute, and lower it again. Do it until either one of your instances of P95 crashes (the icon will turn yellow and there'S probably gonna be a pop-up or something), or until your computer restarts or BSOD. Note the VID when it crashes, cause you'll have to check everything again if your computer crashes.

Once you finished finding your optimal VID for each multiplier steps, you will want to apply all settings and configure RMClock to launch automatically on boot. You can do so by going into the Settings tab and enabling the two start-up options. Registry key or Startup folder is up to you.

After doing that, you should be amazed by how much your computer is running cooler. You should know that, if you notice any instabilities (BSOD, crashes, freezes) that started happening after using this software, your VID is probably too low. Bump it by one step, apply and check if it is working.
Quote:
RightMark's CPU Clock Utility (RMClock)
Effect : Soft-drop your CPU VID, or voltage, change power-oriented settings and monitor some parts of your computer
Temps
Before = Around the 60-70s
Temp change = Easily a 10C drop, but that is depending on how much you can drop your VID and how were your initial temps.
Price = Only 2mb worth of download. Itd cost something on your cellphone, but I doubt it will be able to run from there
Recommended? Totally, if you don't mind spending some time to make it work 100%.

A member recommended me to add something to my guide, and I find it really brillant. Some laptops have a bad habit of turning the fan on/max speed only at hot temperatures (some Dell XPS gets as hot as 80C before turning on their fan). User stubear666 recommended me to use the software "I8kfanGUI" for Dell laptops, and you could use your favourite fan control software to try and hopefully crank up your fan a bit if you feel like your laptop is too hot for your personal taste. SpeedFan is renown for its temp readings and fan controlling properties, but like with any computers, its functionality is not always 100% compatible with all pieces of hardware, so it may, or may not, work for you.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, don't hesitate to drop a PM or leave a message here. I hope those solutions will work for you as they did with my 3 laptops!

Code:
Changelog
v1.2:
Added USERS REPORTS so people can see who did what and how that helped them
Added info about fan controlling on some laptops

v1.1:
Added information about laptop cooling
Added "Heatsink Venting" section
Added "Arctic Silver 5 Application" section

v1.0:
Creation of guide
USERS REPORTS (Dont be shy, post your results here or PM me!)
avgazn91 reported a good 12-14C average drop on a HP dv2120us laptop equipped with a AMD Turion X2 1.6GHz using RMClock.
stubear666 reported an excellent 3-5C average drop on his CPU under load on his Dell XPS by replacing the thermal paste with Arctic Silver products.

Last edited by Nagoshi : 01-29-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Valdeam
Learning To Overclock

Nice guide. I'm gonna try something like this on the wife's laptop haha

Valdeam
United States  Offline
Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
bradleyworth
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
watercooling!
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

For a desktop that'S all right.. but for a laptop? might be a bit hard to accomplish
Canada  Offline
Old 12-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Atom(ik)
Learning To Overclock

Thanks for the post
United States  Offline
Old 12-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
bjoci
mes que un club

Nice guide. I've beenthinking about applying AS5...I think I'll do that tonight.

thanks
Romania  Offline
Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

It might viod your warranty, so it's at your own risks. Im not responsible for anything ^^

Should get you better temps tho. I did not try it myself, but it's definately worth a try.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
Ajax37
Mesa freakin' Boogie

All good ideas, Ive done the good thermal grease a few times on laptops and it seemed to help. Mostly old HP P4's that have bad fans and power connectors and it seems to help. The dust clogs stuff up in there alot more than a desktop too.
United States  Offline
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Please, people who read this and try it - post results back. It helps me find out how much can processors drop, also proves people that it works.

If you can include minimum VID for the highest speed your processor can go without crashing, that'd be great
Canada  Offline
Old 01-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
stubear666
fumbling blind

ive done the arctic silver trick on all my dell laptops...definatly helps alot, cut off around 3-5C on my cpu when under load.
Maybe another tip you should add to your guide is use a good fan controlling software, most laptops dont switch the fans on until the cpu has reached silly temps, i know dells are really bad for doing this.
On my xps the cpu fan didnt even turn on until the temp hit 80C....which for my liking was slightly hot.
For dell laptops try "I8kfanGUI", ive been using that for years now and never had any problems.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Thanks, Im adding the info now.

Care to share model number and processor of your laptop?
Canada  Offline
Old 01-30-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
901-Memphis
Santa Hat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
For a desktop that'S all right.. but for a laptop? might be a bit hard to accomplish

If you havent seen this yet, take a look.
United States  Offline
Old 01-30-2009, 05:55 AM   #13
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
If you havent seen this yet, take a look.
I cant doubt you, I know this already have been done, but there's pretty much no point except if you're crazy enough to OC. And even then you're pretty much stuck with the stock voltage, so you wont go really far.

Phase someone?
Canada  Offline
Old 01-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
stubear666
fumbling blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
Thanks, Im adding the info now.

Care to share model number and processor of your laptop?

My current laptop is a dell xps(m1710) - running a T7200 @ 2.16ghz, a vostro running on a t5200 - 1.8Ghz and my lass has a inspiron 15...cant remeber what processor is in this.
Ive also had a dell 640m and a dell 6400, pretty much the same laptop with the 640m been the smaller version.

All of these laptops have been stripped and had the thermal paste changed and run "I8kfanGUI", its a bit of a pain in the *** to open them up but i personally think its worth it...plus i just like opening stuff up

one thing i will add is the paste does make a big difference in how fast the processor actually heats up, granted it only knocks a few C off the max temps, but ive found with the standard paste the processor on my xps would shoot from 30C to 70C in a matter of seconds when on full load(with out I8kfanGUI), where as with the paste with takes alot longer to hit max(again with out I8kfanGUI) ..so is obviously disapating the heat more efficently to the heatsink.

but now with I8kfanGUI i have it set so the fan comes on low when it hits 50C and high when it hits 60C, i find at these stages it will generally stop the heatsink just holding the heat and actually get rid of it when it needs to, unlike the standard dell settings...which wait till your holding the sun before putting the fan on low.

Last edited by stubear666 : 01-30-2009 at 12:50 PM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Thanks for sharing. My old laptop had the T7200, how come yours is at 2.16Ghz? Mine was runnign at 2GHz. Either it's OCed or you have the T7300 or something like that?
Canada  Offline
Old 06-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #16
sammus
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Hey this guide is tops. I have a Toshiba Satellite P100, and have had overheating problems since day one. First it was only in our aussie summers, getting high 30s and 40C days wasn't great for it, the computer was resetting randomly, sitting over 90C, and resetting at around 100C.

I haven't been bothered pulling it apart to clean heatsinks and apply AS yet, thought it is definitely on the cards. It's winter now, with temps where I am ranging between 12-20C, and it started overheating and resetting with barely any load at all, again the processor idling at around 70C and jumping into the 90s with any activity at all.

I was able to set the highest multiplier core voltage down to 1.05V, I started getting rounding errors in prime95 at 1.0375V. Its been running stable for about an hour now at 1.05V, sitting between 91C and 92C, ambient about 18C. Stock standard is at 1.2625V and shot to 100C and reset within about 2min. The voltage I'm using seems quite a lot lower than the default.. is that safe to do? does it stress anything it the voltage jumping around as the computer loads and unloads? (the VID at each level are different)

In the next few days I will desassemble and apply better thermal goop etc and come back and tell you how much lower the load temp goes

Thanks for letting me know about this software, it seems to have helped quite a bit.
Australia  Offline
Old 06-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #17
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

That is one hell of a hot processor you got there. Glad you got it working, making your laptop running cooler

Fresh thermal paste should definitively help there.
Canada  Offline
Old 06-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #18
sammus
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Yeah, other searching revealed these laptops are notorious for ridiculously hot processors

Is there any reason you don't mention the CPU throttling option in RMClock for cooler temperatures?

Last edited by sammus : 06-08-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Australia  Offline
Old 06-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #19
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

I've done several laptops with Acrtic Silver Ceramic. It works wonders if done correctly. There is a trick to it that has gone without mention.

Every laptop I've done (Compaqs, Apples, Macs, HPs) all have thermal pads. If you apply paste, there will be a gap between the chip and the heatsink surface. Sometimes, there are spacers too. Thermal pads are thicker than paste, obviously. Thus, you may even have more problems unless you remedy this problem.

In my experience, I've done one or both of these to resolve the gap problem.
1) Lap or remove the spacer.
2) Bend the heatsink heatpipes.

Generally, you will always have to bend the heatpipes to make square contact with the chip. Sometimes, you must shorten the spacers so the heatsink will actually contact the chip.

Notably, AS5 can supposedly cause a short. ASC is recommended inside a laptop.

Also, there are GPU water coolers that can be modified to work inside a laptop. I've only heard of this, not tried it myself.
United States  Offline
Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
Rooks
Overclocker

Just saw this guide today. Great guide man. I know I've done a handful of laptops now, where people have come to me after a couple years of owning one saying it's running like crap. I pretty much always take it apart and AS5 the processor and just wipe it clean and they say it runs better then it did when it was new.

I strongly recommend the AS5 part for anyone with older laptops looking to squeeze another year or 2 out of the old beast.

Never thought about the voltages though. Might give me something else to try when the girls start complaining about their computers.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply