EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > HTPC & Home Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Sephious
"Doctor"

1080P TV to PC with HDMI - Bad picture?

EDIT: I figured it out. TV is faulty, refer to post 20 for details.

Well I just purchased a 32LG70 1080P LCD TV to use as a monitor and as a TV. It has a VGA hookup, but I figured I would use HDMI because it would probably be higher quality and output high quality sound as well. However, when I connect my PC over HDMI, 1080P (and any widescreen resolution) causes the display to look horrible.

Everything is very blurry but yet the proper resolution, so it's almost like pixels are blending into each other. Very fine text like on the All CPU Meter gadget for the Vista sidebar becomes absolutely unreadable, whereas with the VGA it is crisp and clear. Also, everything looks very oversaturated.

Now here's the part I don't understand: If I output a resolution that isn't widescreen, HDMI works fine and all the problems I mentioned disappear. This problem only happens with widescreen resolutions.

Does anyone know what's going on? My Google searches have shown me that other people have the problem, but so far I have been unable to find even possible solutions. I'd really like to get this sorted out, because it's the single disappointment I have with this TV. Other than HDMI not working, it is absolutely outstanding.

Additional Comment:

No ideas, huh?

Oh well, I'll keep searching.

EDIT: I figured it out. TV is faulty, refer to post 20 for details.

Last edited by Sephious : 01-13-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
AruisDante
Son of Sanguinius

Out of curiosity, how are you setting the rez? Are oyu doing it manually, or are you doing it in the drivers treating it as an HDTV (if ATi's drivers have such an option)?

I used ot have that same problem when I'd try to run an interlaced rez, but I assume you're not trying to do that.
United States  Offline
Old 01-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Sephious
"Doctor"

I've tried doing it the regular way, and in the special HDTV menu ATI has. The drivers automatically detect it as a TV, and they also detect that it's connecting over HDMI.

I've also tried interlaced resolutions, but they do it as well. It's any widescreen resolution that does it, not even just regular HDTV resolutions. Oh, and I took a screenshot while connected over HDMI. I then connected via VGA, and the screenshot looked normal, so the videocard isn't actually outputting anything differently.

Last edited by Sephious : 01-01-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
AruisDante
Son of Sanguinius

Wow, that's just bizzar. Do you have any other HDMI devices that you could hook up? It's at least let you know if the tv has issues, or if it's a bad cable or something else.

Also, a screenshot justgrabs what's in the framebuffer, so it wouldn't actually rule out the bid card having an output error of some kind
United States  Offline
Old 01-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AruisDante View Post
Wow, that's just bizzar. Do you have any other HDMI devices that you could hook up? It's at least let you know if the tv has issues, or if it's a bad cable or something else.

Also, a screenshot justgrabs what's in the framebuffer, so it wouldn't actually rule out the bid card having an output error of some kind
I guess that's true. And no, I don't have any other HDMI devices, but I'm going to get a friend of mine to bring over his HDMI Xbox sometime and I'll see if it has the same problem. If it doesn't, I'm going to lay the blame on ATI.

EDIT: In fact, every report I've seen of this problem (which hasn't been many as far as I can tell. Most of the issues I've found that have been similar were just stupid people thinking 720p is going to look good as a computer monitor on a 40+ inch screen) has been an ATI card of some sort. I'm thinking they just may be to blame.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
ferrari12508
Overclocker

Well I have had a 52" Sony Bravia hooked up through VGA and while the picture could have been crisper, it seems that your problem with the HDMI is horrible. My picture quality was like gaming on a Xbox360 with slightly better graphics, the only really noticeable problem was reading text. I did not have this set up with the HDTV settings on the driver though, it was just set to be a monitor.

PS. this was not the rig in my signature, as I have a 9800GT now, but when hooked up to the big monitor I was using everything in my signature except the graphics card was a HD2600Pro.
United States  Offline
Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
Oobi Doob
o hai guis!!1!1!won

i have the exact same problem. hdmi is a no-go on my Samsung 1080p lcd. vga looks great, though, so that's what i'm going to use when i get everything in my room moved around. i also think it could be a problem with ATI's drivers, but idk for sure. which driver version are you using? i haven't bothered upgrading from 8.7.
United States  Offline
Old 01-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobi Doob View Post
i have the exact same problem. hdmi is a no-go on my Samsung 1080p lcd. vga looks great, though, so that's what i'm going to use when i get everything in my room moved around. i also think it could be a problem with ATI's drivers, but idk for sure. which driver version are you using? i haven't bothered upgrading from 8.7.
I'm using 8.12, the latest and greatest.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
ferrari12508
Overclocker

Yea, when I was using my set up, it was a few months ago, probably in September if not before that
United States  Offline
Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
fliX
monster wayne

I'm guessing your using a DVI to HDMI cable? Everything looked fine on my Sharp 1080p 32" when I hooked it up this way. Make sure there is no "PC mode" your missing (or something similar) in the TV options...
United States  Offline
Old 01-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #11
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliX View Post
I'm guessing your using a DVI to HDMI cable? Everything looked fine on my Sharp 1080p 32" when I hooked it up this way. Make sure there is no "PC mode" your missing (or something similar) in the TV options...
I'm using the DVI to HDMI converter that came with my videocard and a standard HDMI cable.

The problem persists on any other HDMI device, so it's either my HDMI cable or my TV. I just tested it by saving a screenshot of my desktop and then putting it on an HDMI 360, and it was still blurry.

EDIT: I just hooked my USB thumb drive to my TV and looked at the screenshot. While it still seemed blurry, it was nowhere near as blurry, and while more vibrant, did not look oversaturated. I think it has to be the cable.

EDIT2: I looked at the image again on my USB thumb drive, and I think the remaining problems can just be attributed to how my TV processes images. Parts of the image just don't even look correct (a line drawn on an angle with no anti-aliasing looks like it has balls all along it). I'm really thinking it's the cable now. If it's not the cable, then I guess my TV just has messed up HDMI ports.

Last edited by Sephious : 01-04-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
fliX
monster wayne

I would imagine the cable would either work or not work... but Idk you can always try.

If it ends up still looking bad I would take that sucker back and swap it out for either the same one or something a little cheaper Toshiba makes a nice 32" 1080p for probably less than you paid. Im only saying this because I wouldnt live with something that didnt work right if I was you.
United States  Offline
Old 01-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliX View Post
I would imagine the cable would either work or not work... but Idk you can always try.

If it ends up still looking bad I would take that sucker back and swap it out for either the same one or something a little cheaper Toshiba makes a nice 32" 1080p for probably less than you paid. Im only saying this because I wouldnt live with something that didnt work right if I was you.
Oh no, I absolutely won't live with it if it doesn't work right. I hate having to settle. I know that a digital cable should either work or not work, but it's worth a try before having to lug it back to the store. Toshiba isn't an option for me, as the store I bought it from doesn't have any newer model Toshiba TVs for some reason (at least in the smaller sizes). They're all 720P.

I'm sure it's the TV if it's not the cable. I don't see how they could possibly let something like this slide on an otherwise absolutely gorgeous display. The TV can display 1080P without distortion so I don't see how they'd let it slide that their HDMI ports, the most important ports on the TV, wouldn't be able to display it properly.

Last edited by Sephious : 01-04-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
itznfb
I'm a person!

as flix mentioned earlier, it's a PC mode type setting on your TV. i had the exact same symptoms with my Samsung LN32A650. After about a month of searching i finally found someone that used the same TV with PC connected via HDMI.

here is what i had to do to get it to work: (Oobi Doob this should resolve your problem as well)
my tv has 3 hdmi inputs. the PC must be connected to HDMI2. then i had to go into the input settings and change HDMI2 to PC.
all fixed.

not sure how you would do this on an LG. also it may not be the same issue. but i know on my Samsung all the documentation said all i had to do was plug it into the HDMI2. nothing ever mentioned i had to set the input setting to PC.
United States  Offline
Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
Oobi Doob
o hai guis!!1!1!won

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post
as flix mentioned earlier, it's a PC mode type setting on your TV. i had the exact same symptoms with my Samsung LN32A650. After about a month of searching i finally found someone that used the same TV with PC connected via HDMI.

here is what i had to do to get it to work: (Oobi Doob this should resolve your problem as well)
my tv has 3 hdmi inputs. the PC must be connected to HDMI2. then i had to go into the input settings and change HDMI2 to PC.
all fixed.

not sure how you would do this on an LG. also it may not be the same issue. but i know on my Samsung all the documentation said all i had to do was plug it into the HDMI2. nothing ever mentioned i had to set the input setting to PC.
cool beans. i'll have to try this later. i'm using the vga port right now, but if i can get hdmi to work with the sound included, that should make things simpler to get my tv and other devices to use my pc speakers. thanks!
United States  Offline
Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
itznfb
I'm a person!

here is how you do it on the samsung. figures i find it in the manual 6 months after i was looking. this should be under connecting to a pc, but it isn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	samsung.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	127981  
United States  Offline
Old 01-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #17
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:

all fixed.

My documentation says nothing about having to hook it up to a certain port. For PC setup it just says to hook it up to the VGA port and then lists supported resolutions/refresh rates for HDMI and VGA when connected to a PC.

I tried changing my HDMI label to PC and it didn't change a thing.

Discounting all PC things, the screenshot still did not look clear when looking at it through an HDMI Xbox 360.

I also tried posting on AVS Forum about my problem (and for two different topics) and did not get a single reply (discounting people telling me I've posted in the wrong place).

EDIT: I read an updated manual online, found at http://us.lge.com/filedown.do?filepa...G70_manual.pdf. It basically says when connecting a PC via HDMI, your picture is going to look like crap and you should adjust it the best you can. Nice to know, considering the only other HDMI source I've tried looks just as bad. I guess all LG TVs just have problems with HDMI. Looks like I'll probably be returning this, and I'll be telling people to stay away from LG if they care at all about HDMI. It makes no sense whatsoever for them to put out such a nice TV and not have it able to display anything over HDMI properly. Ridiculous.

So, everyone, stay away from LG TVs. In fact, stay away from LG everything. If they let something like this slip up on their TVs who knows what they might do with their other products. Unless they can miraculously fix this problem, I'll be hard pressed to ever buy anything LG again.

Last edited by Sephious : 01-05-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
itznfb
I'm a person!

there must be some settings that is being missed. LG can't be the only TV that doesn't support PC.

in the manual you linked, it does show setting up the input names like you have to on my Samsung. but you already tried that.

that blows though. if you do return it, get a Samsung LN32A650.
United States  Offline
Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #19
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
there must be some settings that is being missed. LG can't be the only TV that doesn't support PC.

in the manual you linked, it does show setting up the input names like you have to on my Samsung. but you already tried that.

that blows though. if you do return it, get a Samsung LN32A650.
Well I'm going to write to LG and tell them I'll smear their name as much as possible until they fix this because calling their support line doesn't help. We'll see what happens then.

I can't get the LN32A650. They don't stock the 6-series (yet at least) where I got my TV from. The only 6-series Samsung they have is a 50 inch plasma.

Here is the information I've gathered so far:

HDMI for PC looks horrendous at any resolution except 1600x1200. For some reason 1600x1200 is exempt from all the oversaturation and blurriness problems. Every single other resolution including other 4:3 resolutions look terrible.

HDMI on the Xbox 360 at 1080p doesn't look much better than component at 1080p, and still suffers from the same oversaturation and blurriness when looking at a screenshot of my desktop.

That means that either the entire LG70 series (and very probably all other LG TVs mentioned in that manual) can't display anything but VGA properly, or that the Xbox 360 is just bad with HDMI (or that my HDMI cable is bad, but I highly doubt the cables are constructed in such a way that one resolution would display fine while all others don't, if it were a bad cable). I'm going to put my money on the former, considering it has exactly the same problems as HDMI with my PC.

Chances are I'm going to go with the Sharp LC32D64U if this absolutely can't be fixed. I've heard Sharp's problems only arise in the 42" and larger models.

Additional Comment:

Well, I found a review from someone else on the 42" version of my TV. Seems he has quite a few HDMI sources, and every single one of them appears to be low quality at 1080p. Looks like I'm returning this awful TV. It's almost like false-advertising. Sure it can display 1080p, but it doesn't look any better than 720p on anything but VGA. I'm going to wait out my 30-days on the return policy hoping for a good sale on another one of the TVs I'm looking at and then I'm going to take this junk back.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=121

It also seems that Google is crawling my posts very effectively when searching for problems like this. Good. I want everyone who is wracking their brains trying to figure out what's wrong to know that absolutely nothing is wrong and this TV is a bunch of bologna.

Last edited by Sephious : 01-07-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Canada  Offline
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #20
AruisDante
Son of Sanguinius

Well that's a shame that is.

My guess is that it's an overscanning problem that just can't be fixed by signal manipulation. I'm curious if normal television looks correct on it. I would think they at least got that right.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply