EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > General Windows Troubleshooting
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
JBeyt2
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Vista Ultimate Installation Woes. Help Please!

Hi,
I'm running Vista Home basic on an Inspiron 1520, trying to do a clean install and upgrade to Vista Ultimate. I burned the ISO image to a CD Rom of Ultimate and upon trying to install i run into the dreaded "A required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing" error. I've searched the web, but cannot find a fix that either works for me, or that I understand. My knoweledge of computers is intermediate, in that I can do most anything if explained in a half-decent manner.
After reading through this thread:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t250122.html
I think that making my CD/DVD drive a slave drive may solve my problem. I have a TEAC CDRWDVD DW224EV ATA drive in a Dell Inspiron 1520. Can anyone tell me how I would go about switching the drive from Master to Slave?
I hope that made sense! TIA
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
DevilSlayer1298
Consumer of Souls

First, you're using an illegal copy, so I can't help you. This forum frowns upon the use of pirated copies of Windows. Second, all versions of Vista are DVDs. If you burned a copy of "Vista" onto a CD then it isn't Vista.

Thirdly, just buy Vista Home Premium OEM. Its only $100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116485
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
CaligulaPwns
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Yeah, that seems to be against the rules here...

But the answer to your master/slave question lay in teh thread you already linked if I am not mistaking.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...01&postcount=6

I
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
ZLTFUL
Monkey Football SECKS

Actually, if you download the software directly from MS, it is in the form of an ISO. I buy all of my software directly from MS as I get discounted through work.

Anyway, not much input for the OP otherwise.

Last edited by ZLTFUL : 01-15-2009 at 12:17 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
JBeyt2
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSlayer1298 View Post
First, you're using an illegal copy, so I can't help you. This forum frowns upon the use of pirated copies of Windows. Second, all versions of Vista are DVDs. If you burned a copy of "Vista" onto a CD then it isn't Vista.

Thirdly, just buy Vista Home Premium OEM. Its only $100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116485

Ask before you are so hasty to speak please. The copy is licensed through my university (LSU). It is completely legal and a perfect copy of Vista Ultimate... now, for anyone who can offer beneficial information...

PS: Is it true that Vista won't fit on a CD? I burned the ISO to the CD with no errors, and when i boot from it, i get the vista installation screen... am I missing something?

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligulaPwns View Post
Yeah, that seems to be against the rules here...

But the answer to your master/slave question lay in teh thread you already linked if I am not mistaking.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...01&postcount=6

I
I appreciate the response, but I read that post before and it is greek to me. I assume I'd have to physically expose the drive and look for a switch or connector? Dumb it down a bit for me please. Thanks!

"Master/Slave is set by the jumpers on the rear of the drive. Make sure only have one master and one slave on each IDE cable."

Last edited by JBeyt2 : 01-15-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
CaligulaPwns
Banned!
Banned
Sorry, I thought the same...

Anyway, No, Vista will not fit on a CD without some HEAVY compression. The file size is a couple of GB (not sure exactly, but I sure as heck know its more than 750mb).

There are a set of 8 or 10 pins on the back of the drive that should have a plastic end on it. You would need to move it to w/e on the drive says slave...I will google some results for you...
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
JBeyt2
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Sorry, I thought the same...

Anyway, No, Vista will not fit on a CD without some HEAVY compression. The file size is a couple of GB (not sure exactly, but I sure as heck know its more than 750mb).

There are a set of 8 or 10 pins on the back of the drive that should have a plastic end on it. You would need to move it to w/e on the drive says slave...I will google some results for you...
No worries!

So, the version of Vista that I am trying to install off of a CD could potentially be incomplete? I am getting a vista installation screen when booting from this CD. Is this possible? Perhaps this could be the root of my problem? I will track down my vista home basic OEM disc and try reformatting off of that first if you think this might answer some questions...
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
CaligulaPwns
Banned!
Banned
How big is that ISO file?
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
DevilSlayer1298
Consumer of Souls

Sorry. When you say "burned the ISO" everyone automatically assumes, 99.9% of the time, that its a torrented copy.

Vista, is no smaller than 3GB. Home Premium is 3.8GB (that was the size when I using vLite to slipstream SP1 into my install disc), and Ultimate has to be larger since it has far more features. Right click on the ISO that you have and tell us what the file size is. I'm finding it very, very hard to believe that your school, somehow, got Vista to fit on a CD.

As for the CD drive problem you're having, I highly doubt that its a master/slave problem. Usually, if the DVD/CD drives don't have a proper master/slave settings they aren't detected by the computer at all, and it certainly wouldn't boot to the Vista installer.

How many DVD drives do you have?
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
JBeyt2
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Sorry. When you say "burned the ISO" everyone automatically assumes, 99.9% of the time, that its a torrented copy.

Vista, is no smaller than 3GB. Home Premium is 3.8GB (that was the size when I using vLite to slipstream SP1 into my install disc), and Ultimate has to be larger since it has far more features. Right click on the ISO that you have and tell us what the file size is. I'm finding it very, very hard to believe that your school, somehow, got Vista to fit on a CD.

As for the CD drive problem you're having, I highly doubt that its a master/slave problem. Usually, if the DVD/CD drives don't have a proper master/slave settings they aren't detected by the computer at all, and it certainly wouldn't boot to the Vista installer.

How many DVD drives do you have?
I understand the torrent assumption... no problem at all.

Anyway, the ISO file is 2.87 gigs, I don't know why I assumed "deep burner" would somehow figure out how to fit this onto a CD... but the odd part is that it loads the installation screen.
Anyways, I can't believe I overlooked such an obvious problem... I will run to the store and pick up a DVD_R unless there is a way to put the ISO image onto a flash drive and boot from there?

EDIT: I have one DVD drive on this notebook.
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
DevilSlayer1298
Consumer of Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeyt2 View Post
I understand the torrent assumption... no problem at all.

Anyway, the ISO file is 2.87 gigs, I don't know why I assumed "deep burner" would somehow figure out how to fit this onto a CD... but the odd part is that it loads the installation screen.
Anyways, I can't believe I overlooked such an obvious problem... I will run to the store and pick up a DVD_R unless there is a way to put the ISO image onto a flash drive and boot from there?

EDIT: I have one DVD drive on this notebook.
Oh, its a notebook. o.O I assumed desktop with the master/slave deal. If thats the case, there is no master/slave problem since there are no master/slave settings on a laptop. Def go out and get some DVD-R's. When you go to burn it, don't enable any other features. The ISO has the settings it needs stored in it. When you open it in your burning program it will automatically enable all the special features it needs.

Once you burn it to a DVD-R then everything should go smoothly. *knocks on wood*
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
JBeyt2
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Oh, its a notebook. o.O I assumed desktop with the master/slave deal. If thats the case, there is no master/slave problem since there are no master/slave settings on a laptop. Def go out and get some DVD-R's. When you go to burn it, don't enable any other features. The ISO has the settings it needs stored in it. When you open it in your burning program it will automatically enable all the special features it needs.

Once you burn it to a DVD-R then everything should go smoothly. *knocks on wood*
Just returned with 10 DVD_Rs. I tried to burn the DVD and got the error "the drive is not ready" so I'm gonna troubleshoot that quickly and see what's going on here.
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
DevilSlayer1298
Consumer of Souls

Restarting your computer usually fixes that problem when I get that error.
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
CaligulaPwns
Banned!
Banned
Or give it a minute after you put the disk in....
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
JBeyt2
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Restarting your computer usually fixes that problem when I get that error.
Any recommended ISO burning software besides deepburner? This doesn't seem to be cooperating. I restarted to no avail.
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #16
DevilSlayer1298
Consumer of Souls

You can get a trial version of Nero. Nero is, by far, the best DVD/CD burning program I have ever used.

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-trial.php
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
JBeyt2
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
You can get a trial version of Nero. Nero is, by far, the best DVD/CD burning program I have ever used.

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-trial.php
I'm getting the same error with other ISO burners, so I'm gonna try burning from a different PC.

EDIT: I'm getting the same error from an XP machine... what am I missing here??? ugh.

Dumb question: Is my burner not equipped to write to DVD?

Last edited by JBeyt2 : 01-15-2009 at 02:06 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #18
CaligulaPwns
Banned!
Banned
Look it up in the device manager does it say CD/DVD-r/rW?
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
JBeyt2
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Look it up in the device manager does it say CD/DVD-r/rW?
CDRWDVD DW224EV

I assumed that the DW meant DVD Writable... and i'm guessing I thought wrong...?
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #20
DevilSlayer1298
Consumer of Souls

From the model number it doesn't look like it can write DVDs. How old is your laptop?
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply